A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruby Slippers Decoration (Tons of photos)  (Read 10149 times)
Tags for this thread: wizard_of_oz , ruby_slippers , halloween_decoration , party_decoration  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: August 11, 2009 01:41:18 PM »

These are paper mache ruby slippers made to look like the legs and feet of the Wicked Witch of the East after Dorothy's house landed.

A few months ago I cam across paper mache shoes at Micheal's on super clearance. I had no idea why but at a quarter each I bought 4.

They sat there in my craft supplies forever until I finally got an idea. My Mom has always had a thing for the Wizard of Oz and has always admired a friend's doormat with the witch's feet printed on them- so I decided to make her a 3D version.

I did several coats of white as a basecoat , then penciled in where the shoes should be. I did two coats of red on the shoes and black on the bottoms. Once that dried I used glitter glue to add sparkle. ( The glitter glue was kind of a pain to try to spread evenly and took 3 coats but it left a smooth finish to the shoes and added an extra layer of sealer so they could be used outside on Halloween).

Using brown craft paper in layers for strength I added tubes to the tops of the shoes with masking tape to form legs. This was just trial and error until they seemed sturdy and somewhat smooth on the surface.Then I basecoated them with white ( to prop them up while they were drying I used empty wine bottles it worked great!)and sketched out the stripes at about 1 1/4 inches apart.

Using leftover craft paper from the legs I cut 3 inch strips about 6 inches long. I then folded the cut ends to the middle to get 1 1/2 inch by 3 inch strip that I glued together painted red and glittered. I then cut a thinner strip for the center of the bows and painted and glued them as well. I left about an inch of overhang to use as a handle when painting and sealing the bows then cut them off when I finished.

Then I put 4 coats of clear sealer on to help make them a bit more moisture resistant. To get them to lay properly with the heels down I used a bit of rice in a ziploc bag to weight the heel and keep it stable.

My mom loved them so much I doubt they will only be used as Halloween decorations.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 01:48:12 PM »

Now that's clever! Smiley I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 01:48:27 PM »

I love these!  And I would definitely use them more than just for Halloween decorations.  I definitely need to start checking the clearance section at Michael's (I always forget)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009 01:58:44 PM »

Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009 04:54:56 PM »

What a great idea!  And they look fabulous.  Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
littlefawnpug

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009 08:32:25 AM »

Now that is original! Grin  I would of never thought of that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn to crochet or knit?  I have a ton of extra crochet hooks & circular knitting needles.  Will throw in some pattern books and yarn for anyone interested in a swap.
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009 03:59:51 PM »

Those are so cute! I wonder if you could make a variation on them to use as a draft blocker or doorstop (or maybe both)? I'm thinking thrift-store shoes, a little paint, and some stripey socks stuffed with rice or something....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009 01:19:56 AM »

How Ozsome! I'd add those to my Oz collection any day, nice job. I've never seen those at Michael's, fabulous find. Your mom is lucky to have such a talented daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009 12:55:49 PM »

Those are so cute! I wonder if you could make a variation on them to use as a draft blocker or doorstop (or maybe both)? I'm thinking thrift-store shoes, a little paint, and some stripey socks stuffed with rice or something....

I bet you could do that.  We have some pretty horrendous (but effective) draft blockers.  Maybe they need a makeover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

varifiresis
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 11:50:45 AM »

I bet you could do that.  We have some pretty horrendous (but effective) draft blockers.  Maybe they need a makeover!

Actually I wanted them to be used as a door stop originally but the legs are too fragile and I couldn't figure out how to make them sturdy enough. (Keep in mind though when I really got all fired up about these and started making them I couldn't be bothered to stop and go to the craft store for alternative solutions so I was limited to what I had on hand.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...