A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ruby Slippers Decoration (Tons of photos)  (Read 8195 times)
Tags for this thread: wizard_of_oz , ruby_slippers , halloween_decoration , party_decoration  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: August 11, 2009 01:41:18 PM »

These are paper mache ruby slippers made to look like the legs and feet of the Wicked Witch of the East after Dorothy's house landed.

A few months ago I cam across paper mache shoes at Micheal's on super clearance. I had no idea why but at a quarter each I bought 4.

They sat there in my craft supplies forever until I finally got an idea. My Mom has always had a thing for the Wizard of Oz and has always admired a friend's doormat with the witch's feet printed on them- so I decided to make her a 3D version.

I did several coats of white as a basecoat , then penciled in where the shoes should be. I did two coats of red on the shoes and black on the bottoms. Once that dried I used glitter glue to add sparkle. ( The glitter glue was kind of a pain to try to spread evenly and took 3 coats but it left a smooth finish to the shoes and added an extra layer of sealer so they could be used outside on Halloween).

Using brown craft paper in layers for strength I added tubes to the tops of the shoes with masking tape to form legs. This was just trial and error until they seemed sturdy and somewhat smooth on the surface.Then I basecoated them with white ( to prop them up while they were drying I used empty wine bottles it worked great!)and sketched out the stripes at about 1 1/4 inches apart.

Using leftover craft paper from the legs I cut 3 inch strips about 6 inches long. I then folded the cut ends to the middle to get 1 1/2 inch by 3 inch strip that I glued together painted red and glittered. I then cut a thinner strip for the center of the bows and painted and glued them as well. I left about an inch of overhang to use as a handle when painting and sealing the bows then cut them off when I finished.

Then I put 4 coats of clear sealer on to help make them a bit more moisture resistant. To get them to lay properly with the heels down I used a bit of rice in a ziploc bag to weight the heel and keep it stable.

My mom loved them so much I doubt they will only be used as Halloween decorations.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 01:48:12 PM »

Now that's clever! Smiley I like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 01:48:27 PM »

I love these!  And I would definitely use them more than just for Halloween decorations.  I definitely need to start checking the clearance section at Michael's (I always forget)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009 01:58:44 PM »

Love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009 04:54:56 PM »

What a great idea!  And they look fabulous.  Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009 08:32:25 AM »

Now that is original! Grin  I would of never thought of that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009 03:59:51 PM »

Those are so cute! I wonder if you could make a variation on them to use as a draft blocker or doorstop (or maybe both)? I'm thinking thrift-store shoes, a little paint, and some stripey socks stuffed with rice or something....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
dawt
I heart my duplicate daughters

I know, huh?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009 01:19:56 AM »

How Ozsome! I'd add those to my Oz collection any day, nice job. I've never seen those at Michael's, fabulous find. Your mom is lucky to have such a talented daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009 12:55:49 PM »

Those are so cute! I wonder if you could make a variation on them to use as a draft blocker or doorstop (or maybe both)? I'm thinking thrift-store shoes, a little paint, and some stripey socks stuffed with rice or something....

I bet you could do that.  We have some pretty horrendous (but effective) draft blockers.  Maybe they need a makeover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

varifiresis
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 11:50:45 AM »

I bet you could do that.  We have some pretty horrendous (but effective) draft blockers.  Maybe they need a makeover!

Actually I wanted them to be used as a door stop originally but the legs are too fragile and I couldn't figure out how to make them sturdy enough. (Keep in mind though when I really got all fired up about these and started making them I couldn't be bothered to stop and go to the craft store for alternative solutions so I was limited to what I had on hand.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Graphic Tee
How to Choose Retro Clothes
Show Off Your Curves With Confidence!
Using Color to Appear Thinner
An Accessory to Make You Look Thinner
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...