A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My quest is completed- two I spy quilts finished  (Read 9104 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , i_spy , holiday_gifts_kids  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eeyore_witch
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009 08:38:50 AM »

wow you did an amazing job....very nice and an great keep sake.  I can see them showing their children what you made them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ~ C.S. Lewis

I love Swaps!!
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009 09:29:55 AM »

I SO would not have the patience to make ONE let alone TWO of those quilts!!! 

Hats off to you!!  (and they are beautiful too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009 10:20:17 AM »

What I wouldn't give for your patience!!  Cheesy All those fussy cut fabrics are too cute.  Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009 05:24:16 PM »

Wow!!! Wow!!!! And did I say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
Ansie
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2009 09:50:06 PM »

this will be great heirlooms one day!  Great job!  If I received one of these as a child, I would have been over the moon.  Lucky (blessed) kids!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009 03:13:39 AM »

You did an absolutely great job on both of those quilts. I'm so tempted to do one myself (or i suppose 2 since I will soon have 2 children!)

Can anyone post a link to where summer posted about the first quilt, I'm really interested in reading the description of the quilt as you go technique again. I love how you can make two beautiful quilts in one with this technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009 11:22:54 AM »

You did an absolutely great job on both of those quilts. I'm so tempted to do one myself (or i suppose 2 since I will soon have 2 children!)

Can anyone post a link to where summer posted about the first quilt, I'm really interested in reading the description of the quilt as you go technique again. I love how you can make two beautiful quilts in one with this technique.

First, congrats on the new baby!  And thanks for the nice comments.  Here is a post to the first link http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293109.msg3332167#msg3332167
 but I don't think I described the quilt as you go technique b/c I used a book and didn't want to over step those copyrights.  

As far as how I quilted, I had my top blocks pieced together (1 foot squares), then made a quilt sandwich with the batting and the backing. I made sure my batting and backing were about 2 inches more than I needed on all sides.   I pinned and quilted each block and then trimmed them all to the same size.  For both quilts I stitched in the ditch, just different patterns.  I was using different backs, so we laid out they way they wanted the backs to look before I joined them together, and labeled them so I would join them in order.  What I needed to know was how to join the blocks together, and then I used this book: http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Shortcut-Quilts-Marguerita-McManus/dp/0896895475
The book describes crazy quilting, which I didn't do, but I did use their technique for joining the blocks together and also binding.  I found this book at my local library.  

I did the quilt as you go for a couple of reasons.  I had never quilted anything before so I was afraid to get it all together and then mess up.  And, I have a little $100 machine and I thought it might blow up if I tried to push and pull a whole quilt under it.  The foot square blocks were really easy to work with, also the quilt as you go allows for easy double sided quilts because the backing can be different on each block.
I made more mistakes than things I got right, but I learned a lot.  I still can't match up my binding very well, but oh well.  If you have any questions I would be happy to try and help!  I will say, if you are going to do one, just keep cutting and make enough for two...I would have hated to start the cutting all over after finishing one.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009 11:29:41 AM by summertimerolls » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
Ryoukoe
She's A Vallee Girl...

06-07-08

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009 07:31:44 PM »

Wow I absolutely love the idea! I love how you added special touches in too of things that you had drawn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's a Vallee Girl...in a Vallee world.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Skies with Oil Paints
How to Paint on a Canvas with Oil Paints
How to Paint Trees Using Oil Paints
How to Paint Landscapes with Oil Paints
How to Clean Old Paintings Without Damaging Them
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...