A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boys Link / Legend of Zelda Costume  (Read 9970 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , link , legend_of_zelda , geek , no_sew , video_game , nintendo , halloween_costume , costume_idea , zelda  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: August 11, 2009 10:45:55 AM »

I made this years ago and just found some pictures on disc. When my son was 4 (2003) he wanted to go as Link for Halloween. There were no premade Link costumes even for adults and definitely none that would fit a 4 year old. Realizing that there was no way to talk him down to Thomas the Tank Engine, or Bob the Builder like every other 4 year old chose that year, I knew I would have to get pretty resourceful to make it happen (and we were flat broke as usual so cost was important.)

This was a super easy costume to make (I don't sew). I started with a dark green short sleeve knit shirt that I borrowed (stole) from my husband. It had a rounded neckline and 3 buttons on the front. First I had my son try on the shirt and cut it down to a good tunic length, leaving a bit of fabric to glue under for a hem. Then I enlisted my mom and her sewing skills to use the green shirt scrap to make a cap ( it took her about 5 minutes so it must not have been very tricky). Then I cut off the buttons from the front of the shirt and cut a small slit in place of each one then threaded a leather cord through the buttonholes. The sword holder (not shown  Embarrassed )was made from an adult sized plain black belt- belted to fit from shoulder to hip that was anchored by threading the bottom through a black childs belt worn normally.The shoulder strap had a riveted metal loop attached to the back to slide the sword into.
The leggings are little girls white tights from the Dollar Store. My biggest coup was finding an old suede jacket in the garage- by cutting the sleeves off at the shoulder seams I got a nice flared end that came to a slight point. When we had my son wearing the tights but still barefoot we had him step right into the sleeves (shoulder seams down) put on tennis shoes and folded the edge of the sleeve down to cover the shoes to make instant boot spats!

The shield is a wooden toy that I covered with posterboard and painted with the triforce symbol that I copied from a Legend of Zelda video game case.

Using what I had on hand made this super cheap! Total out of pocket cost: $1 for tights, $1 for posterboard =$2
Every year I strive to top this costume but I never have even come close!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009 10:57:23 AM by varifiresis - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 11:14:29 AM »

That is so resourceful on your part, and you son looks very happy in his costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
varifiresis
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 11:49:06 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadiK
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009 10:50:00 AM »

Thanks so much for posting! This is the first year my son has had an opinion about his halloween costume, and he insisted he be Link! I ran into the same problem of no premades, but your post has given me a jumping off point, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not OCD. It's CDO, alphabetical like it should be.
hyspirit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 06:57:37 PM »

This is the exact reason I wish I was a little boy!!!

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He smells good, he really does! He smells like root beer.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Slime & Other Fun Indoor Activities For Your Kids This Summer
NASA Comes to Airstream
Amy_Vignette
Airstream: Maintaining a Legacy in Jackson Center, Ohio
Making Narrow Quilt Borders
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...