A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my dog is blue, like my new garden chair  (Read 1228 times)
Tags for this thread: chair  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tarahfying
« on: August 11, 2009 10:37:59 AM »

Hello!
Since my mom rules the roost in my household and always demands that my frugal and packrat dad throw out old stuff, I decided to assist my dad in a personal rebellion. My mom remodeled my room into an inferno of yellow while I was away at college, and mandated that my dad get rid of my desk and what he calls a "perfectly good desk chair" that my mom said "didn't match the decor." My brave father finally stood up to her tyranny and saved the chair in his shed. For father's day, I decided to renovate it into a garden chair - the garden is HIS turf. Here's the final project, details on production to follow:

It's definitely a little odd looking, but I started out wanting to make it really sloppy and natural. I threw a party and had my friends dye white enamel paint with blueberries, leaves, etc - some added gross stuff like ketchup and mustard, but I couldn't fault them since all I managed to originally find was white paint. We threw dirt and leaves on it, but it ended up looking ridiculously hideous. Also, my dog somehow smelled blueberries and ATE THEM OFF THE CHAIR, dying her entire face blue from the paint. It was enamel, so it didn't come off with nail polish remover, soap and water, acetone, baby oil... nothing! I ended up having to delicately trim the blue off. But that's besides the point.

So it looked hideous and I painstakingly stripped it down, deciding eventually to contrast the crazy outdoorsy look with pure white on the seat... kind of a metaphorical indoor/outdoor thing. And this is what I got! I sort of like it, but I think it's mostly just a cool idea that could be improved upon dramatically, and certainly by you guys. Any ideas?

ps. I lined the wild looking central part in rice using caulking... doesn't it look just like a continent?
pps. here she is:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenDuck
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 08:05:03 AM »

Interesting. It looks kind of mouldy (like a chair left for a long time in a shed or garden would get) but then you see how perfectly white and smooth the rest of the seat is, so see that it's like that on purpose.

Did you do the same thing to the back of the chair- the curved bit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have lots of white pillow feathers to get rid of. PM me if you are in Britain and would like some!
MegRoseSews
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009 08:37:35 AM »

I think the chair looks very cool and kind of like majolica pottery. I've never seen anything done like that and never thought of adding items to paint, only things like milk or water to thin it. Very inspired of you.

But is the dog ok?

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mark Fast - London - Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
You Can Rock Designer Fall Fashion Trends For Less
Style Sound-Off: Miley Cyrus, Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum
4 Tricks to Break in Your Boots
10 Styling Tips for 1 Gray Suit
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...