A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,569
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-Shirt Quilt ~ help for a newbie  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eeyore_witch
« on: August 11, 2009 09:44:22 AM »

I'm a beginner to quilting...I haven't really made anything big so I need some tips and some advice. I liek to sew but don't do it alot....and it's usually half a$$ed without instructions. I LOVED sewing in high school and wish I did it more.

My 8 year son is a big video gamer and has a bunch of video game shirts with cute sayings. I'd love to make him a quilt that he'll love as a teen-ager. All the new shirts I've been getting for school are more video games shirts just so I can start this quilt as soon as he's done with them. I'd love to start it out as a twin size...but be able to add to it when he's a teen to make it a double....I can't do this in my mind but not sure if it can be done.

So if you have any thing you'd like to tell me before I start this project....please tell me.

I've been checking out other t-shirt blankets and almost everyone talks of a backing to stop the fabric from stretching.  Is this a must and what exactly should I look for when I go in to buy it. I remember using something in high school sewing class for collars in shirts but that might be different.

Since some of the shirts are smaller cuz he is a growing kid...which is the best way to use them. Like a shirt he was wearing yesterday was alot smalled then one of the new shirts I've bought him. Not only in size but the saying is smaller since it didn't cover the whole shirt. What is the best way to do this....make different size squares or use other fabris to make them the same?

I'm also thinking...while I wait for my son to out grow his shirts of making one for my boyfriend of 5 years. He loves Toronto Maple Leafs and has a bunch of shirts too...but doesn't wear them as much anymore.  I also thought of going to Value Village if I need a few more cuz they always have a bunch.

Thanks a head of time....I know how annoying this can be. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie that asked for help.

Kendra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream ~ C.S. Lewis

I love Swaps!!
eeyore_witch
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009 08:50:34 AM »

Anyone???

What is the special backing I need for t-shirt quilts?  I went to a fabric store yesterday and I'm at a lost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love Swaps!!
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009 02:07:38 PM »

This - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316881.0 - was posted about 12 hours after your last post, I think everyone basically thought you saw it. That being said, the product you're looking for is called Interfacing. It comes in different weights - I find a medium works best for me, but what you're basically looking for is something to iron to the Tshirt fabric so it doesn't move as much. Noting the references to the Leafs and VV, I'm going to guess you're somewhere in Ontario, and suggest for a store to get it, rather than a quilt store where it can be seriously overpriced, try somewhere like FabricLand or Len's Mills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eeyore_witch
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009 06:19:53 AM »

OKay thank you....sory I didn't notice that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love Swaps!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Spice Up Your Tailgating Recipes
How to Make the Perfect Tailgating Burger
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...