A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: China?  (Read 3538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schnerby
« on: August 11, 2009 08:29:37 AM »

Any craftsters in mainland China?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009 08:42:03 AM by schnerby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
schnerby
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 10:02:35 PM »

OK, well for any visitors....

Silk is plentiful here, as is fake silk. You can learn to tell them apart, but it's a great fabric to work with.

Don't miss the fabric market if you get to Xi'an. It's huge, has every imaginable fabric, and is CHEAP!

Like other Asian nations, China is keen on random little trinkets.

The main crafts are crochet, knitting, beading (with big plastic beads) and cross stitch. Sewing machines are rare, and mostly treadle.
Supplies for these crafts are readily available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009 12:04:50 PM »

I'm about to move to Beijing for a year with my husband's band. Thanks for the tip on sewing machines! I figured I would buy one when I got there, but I'll have to rethink that. What about general art and craft supplies? Are they hard to find?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009 07:15:42 PM »

You can find electric sewing machines, they just aren't very common. If you were to find onw, Beijing would be your place! Pretty much anything you can find in western countries you can find in Beijing. Also, since you can pick clothing up cheaply it is a good source of fabric.

Chinese brushes and inks are very common, but there are real art shops in Beijing too. Plenty of fabric to be found, although it's not as easy to find as Xi'an. Chinese women love their knitting and cross stitch, so if you do either of those you will be fine.

I have friends in Beijing, so if you need any particular addresses let me know. I live out in the sticks, so supplies can be harder to come by for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009 10:32:07 PM »

For anyone who does go to Xi'an the fabric market is on Wenyi Lu (Wenyi Road). You go out the South Gate and a little South of the city. It's probably best to take a taxi there. Also, the shopkeepers won't speak English - so a Chinese speaking friend always helps. Either way, they bargain with calculators, so you can make do with no Chinese.

The market is on both sides of the street. One whole section on the west of the road towards the south of the market only sells buttons, findings, trim, zips and the like. I love that place!

A little south of the market on the west side of the road is the tea market. Here you can find tea sets, wooden tea tables, tea (of course) and pottery. Not a bad visit.

Just inside the South Gate is Art Street, really worth visiting!

If anyone is visiting and needs the addresses in Chinese characters for taxis PM me and I'll send them your way. Most internet browsers don't automatically read Chinese characters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piaochong
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 03:58:19 AM »

...also Xi'an has the 'Muslim quarter' which has a lot of interesting and beautiful textile... i have only been there once, so i am not sure if this is what you have already mentioned?

I will be returning to China next year and it will be very handy to know where these things are, though i will be in Shandong and not in Shan'xi!

good advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009 04:42:31 AM »

The Muslim Quarter (huimin jie) in Xi'an is currently having a facelift, so it's a bit smaller than usual. Because it's a bit of a tourist drag it can be hard to find genuine stuff, but some of the smaller shops have some lovely textiles.

The Xi'an fabric market sells new fabrics, but it is pretty cheap.

The southern provinces have hand woven textiles of all types and Xinjiang province has hand woven carpets and Central Asian design fabrics. Love it.

Piaochong, please let us know what you find in Shandong. Going to Jinan?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 04:46:53 AM by schnerby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bleedingfingertips
Life enjoying engineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010 04:29:04 PM »

I am working in China and will do so for atleast a year to come. For now I am stationed in Fuzhou / Fujian province. If you compare this city to Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou it is tiny but compared to a swedish city it is quite big.

As with everything in China, you have to find the right street/block for what you are searching. I was about to give up, searching for sewingmachines, fabric and sewing supplies/accessories. Then my girlfriend (native chinese) got fed up with my wiening and did some research. She got some hints of where to look and after finding the "Sewing machine street", finding sewing machines was no problem anymore.

The situation was the same with fabric and sewing accessories. Not a trace in the whole city for sewing DIY supplys. After some tips we went to a very anonymous entrance to a warehouse that absolutely didn't give away what was inside. In there there was 3 floors totally cluttered with fabric shops, button shops, thread shops, rivet shops, you name it.

And the prices here is close to redicilous if you compare them to Swedish prices Smiley
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010 11:11:48 PM by bleedingfingertips » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always trying to improve my needle skills to prevent my fingertips from bleeding..

Armed with a needle.. but no needle in my arm.
SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010 06:00:47 AM »

While I was in Beijing I discovered the fabric district after a lot of hunting around.  The big place to go here is called Muxiyuan Market.  It is close to the Muxiyuan Bridge, but not exactly at it.  It is actually located on Nansanhuan Lu in Fengtai.  We were dropped by a taxi at Muxiyuan Bridge, and then walked down Nansanhuan until we reached it.  On the way we started to see spatterings of sewing machine repair shops and carts with notions, ribbons, etc.  Eventually we found the market itself, spanning both sides of the street.  It's a pretty good sized market.  All the shops are in separate stalls with piles of bolts of fabric.  When you get deeper in the market you'll find beads, buttons, and notions.  I wouldn't say this market caters to tourists by any means.  It is a little daunting to navigate and the vendors aren't always handy, but certainly worth a look, and would be your best, if not only place to get sewing supplies in Beijing.  Here's a link to some more info on Muxiyuan: http://www.liveworkexplore.com/beijing/residents/shopping/what-_and_-where-to-buy/textiles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010 10:25:44 PM »

Ah ha! Now I know where the Beijing one is!

If it's anything like the Xi'an market I would take someone who can speak Chinese if you can't speak it yourself. You must, must, must bargain!

THese places are there, you just have to know where to look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Store Rice
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 1/2
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 2/2
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...