A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter HBP movie treat boxes  (Read 5556 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , candy , party_favors , half_blood_prince  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: August 11, 2009 04:32:43 AM »

This year the movie release for Half Blood Prince seemed to sneak right up on me. I knew I had to do something but we all had our costumes and props from previous parties so I knew I would have to come up with something a bit different this year (as well as cost effective because we are on a tight budget this summer). With only a week left before the movie release I knew I would  need to put alot of thought into my project but also make sure I could get it done quickly. After a couple of sleepless nights I finally hit on the idea of a treat box full of candies mentioned in the books. I was not up to making cockroach clusters from scratch or most of the other great recipies I found online, so I took a few shortcuts and then you can see what we are left with.

First was a vial of Felix Felicis potion (also known as Liquid Luck)

The vials were emptied glass bead containers with the lids colored silver via metallic paint pen. Iridescent cake decorating powder was mixed with regular honey to add motion and shimmer and vials were filled 3/4 of the way full. Although the lids could have been hot glued shut we opted to be able to open them for a sip if we were short on luck.  A small label printed on the computer on parchment paper was attached and a strip of red ribbon secured on each end by the labels reinforced the lids against accidental spills.

Next comes the candy. I actually purchased the Drooble's Best Blowing gum last minute because I thought the boxes looked a bit empty.

The Fudge Flies were actually sold as a Harry Potter branded candy- I only took one rather pricey box and divided them between the 6 boxes I needed. When the divvied up piles seemed even I folded them into wax paper envelopes with a clip art label again printed on the parchment paper, they were then glued to the wax paper.

The Acid Pops were simply Charms Sour Blo-Pops that had been unwrapped rolled in Pop- Rocks  and tied into a candy maker's bag/

The Leprechaun Gold pieces were also only purchased golden wrapped chocolates

This next one is my favorite!

These enchanted toffees were invented by the Fred and George to pull pranks; but it ended up being sold in their joke shop Weasly's Wizarding Wheezes This taffy however was a $ store find and broken down into the small clear confectioner's bag with a Computer printed tag of cardstock. I embelished the labels by tracing over similar colors with glitter pens to really look fun and make the lettering pop. Each label was then stapled to a bag with two toffees.

The lemon drops (actually lemonheads) were divided into the little clear bags then tied closed eith a blue ribbon that also ties the computer printed label to the candy.

Finallly when all the candies  were assembled I took some translucent folding gift boxes (6 for $2), Printed a self stick label that came with a nice gold scalloped edge (also a $ store find) and finally took some metallic silver and a star printed tissue paper and lined each box before filling them.
[/left]

Everyone loved them so much no one took them to the movie to snack on. Go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 09:50:39 AM »

Your use of shimmer powder in honey was BRILLIANT!  I had been thinking of how to do this, but didn't want to use anything that might be harmful if accidentally ingested, even if I TOLD people not to drink it.  (I guess I can't blame them.  Who wouldn't want to try 'liquid luck'?!?!)  As always, the simplest solution is often the best one.  Nice work dear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 01:17:27 PM »

Squeeeee!  What a totally awesome idea!  I love everything!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
kelesaii
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010 05:27:39 AM »

Very clever! Especially the Felix. Grin

This could be a fun thing to do for our pre-movie party this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethIves
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010 12:56:35 PM »

These are amazing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010 03:21:09 AM »

I can imagine that these would be great even at Christmas next to a stocking!  I can think of several girls (young and old) that would squeal over them!  Great work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010 08:33:34 PM »

BRILLIANT! ...and so jeallous, I want some too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
Alongbottomfan
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010 10:04:35 AM »

I love how you repackaged the purchased HP candy! It looks way more authentic and you made a little bit go a long way (because the HP candy is ridiculously expensive). Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Clever Clothing Hacks You Should Know
Can Your Shoe Addiction Help Beat Breast Cancer?
80% of Women Wear the Wrong Size Bra! Are You?
13 Items Under $100 to Complete Your Fall Wardrobe
5 Ways To Wear Leather Shorts For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...