A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some Harry Potter Wands for HBP movie opening  (Read 5201 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , wand  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

varifiresis
« on: August 11, 2009 02:01:10 AM »

Die hard Harry Potter nerd that I am I try to commemorate each book and movie release by doing a few craft projects. Here are a few examples that I have come up with over the last few years...
This was made to be a wand for my son who went dressed as Draco Malfoy

These were mad for the Deathly Hallows book release and were almost made as afterthoughts the day before the book release. The long tapered wand section was made from the handle to a paintbrush (set of 8 from the $ store). Using pliers I gently removed the metal top portion that held the bristles and then had the nice tapered body section to the wand. Then I had to use some sandpaper to give the prefinished handle a good scuff to make sure it would accept stain. For the handles on the wands I went to the craft store in the turned wood section and found some turned candlesticks that were a good size for the wands. After gluing the paintbrush handles upright in the candlestick where the candle would normally have gone, I let the whole thing dry overnight to make sure these would be able to be handled and not just displayed. When glue was completely dry I lightly sanded the candlestick/wand handle and then used a black wood stain marker to stain the entire wand. The prefinish sealer on the paintbrush handles took the stain after a good sanding but the color would rub off when being handled so I went ahead and used a 3 in 1 coat clear waterbased sealer to seal in the stain but was very happy with the end result-- shiny, glossy, black wands with subtle woodgrain visible. To finish it off I glued a round flat sided gem from the craft store to the flat bottom of the candlestick/wand handle. Although this made it impossible to display standing up later- the gem added a great detail when being used as a costume prop.
Here 'Draco' is in costume with an unpainted wand.

I had to make several more wands because there were quite a few of us in costume. All Deatheaters wands were made the same but had different color jewel on the bottom. The most of the rest of the wands were constructed the same way (although the lengths varied due to the nature of the paintbrush multi pack- we tried to match characters to longer or shorter wands using hints from the books.) I also set these wands apart by leaving the natural wood color of the paintbrush handles (mostly to get out of all the sanding that staining them would have required), and staining the handles various shades of black and brown again using the wood stain markers. These I left flat on the bottom to be displayed upright later on.

A final variation was made by gluing  several wooden unfinished "spools" together with a decorative finial on the end of the handle while setting the shaft of the wand into one of the pre drilled holes in the wooden spool. This one was left unstained to keep the natural pine color.

Although I was happy with the look of this wand it was by far the most fragile with the joints between each wooden bead proving to be a weak point. Next time I will use a small rod to thread all of the beads on to add support and then gorilla glue the rest. It does look great in my Harry Potter display though, even if it wasn't very functional.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009 02:07:00 AM by varifiresis - Reason: correct subject » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MarieAntoinette
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 05:20:58 AM »

Great job!  And your son really knows how to get in character!!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 09:46:51 AM »

I love how creative you got with your supplies!  I wouldn't have instantly thought of paintbrush handles, but they worked so well.  And even looking at your finished wands, KNOWING that's what they are, I'm not reminded of the fact that this is a paintbrush and candlestick.  Really nice job dear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Ex_Gratia

I sew therefore I am

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009 09:38:20 PM »

agreed, what a fabulously smart idea to use paint brushes, I hate the ones that are just made out of dowel rods, it isn't true to the shape of the wands. How clever! and your son makes such a great draco! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy please! I'd love to have feedback from other crafters!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFlippantFlapper?ref=ss_profile
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 08:34:12 AM »

THough I love the wands I alo really like the draco cape too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Alongbottomfan
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010 09:48:38 AM »

I love this idea! A wooden wand without tools! Using the different wooden findings gives them very different looks and the paintbrush handle idea was genius!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theMidnightRose
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013 09:10:39 AM »

Great idea, and so easy! Why didn't I think I this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
How to Make Fresh Dill Potato Salad
Make Potato Salad with Bacon & Mustard Vinaigrette
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...