A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,728
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Four skirts plus a shrug (edit: shrug tutorial in comments)  (Read 8026 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdyhippy
« on: August 09, 2009 11:23:25 PM »

Skirt number one:

Just a very simple pants-to-skirt reconstruction. The pants were from about eighth grade and a few inches too short by now but the corduroy was still in very good condition.

Skirt number two:

This skirt is the bottom 20" or so of a long old lady skirt from Goodwill. I just couldn't say no to the crazy pattern.

Skirt number three:

This skirt is the bottom of an incredibly ugly drop waist dress from a rummage sale. It was seriously a long sleeved tube with a skirt that started mid thigh, see

Shrug and skirt number four:

The shrug is just a little boys white shirt cut in the right places to work as a shrug. The skirt was made from leftovers of a t-shirt quilt. The bottom tier is all from the bottom edges of the original t-shirts to give the skirt just a bit of weight at the bottom and avoid an ugly hem.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009 09:30:45 AM by nerdyhippy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchripper
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009 11:03:36 AM »

These are all very nice.  You obviously have a keen eye for the potential that lies dormant in ugly things!  I especially like skirt #2; very tasteful way to use an "old lady" print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mscris

I'm a supa star!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009 02:10:26 PM »

Your skirts are very cute! I love the old lady skirt, cute print! How did you cut the t-shirt to make the shrug? It is also very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sing as if no one is listening
Dance as if no one is watching
Love as if you have never been loved before.
nerdyhippy
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 09:29:32 AM »

To make the shrug I started with a too small t-shirt (I could get it on, but it was too tight to be flattering) and cut as shown by the dashed lines in the pictures below.

Front:

I would recommend cutting a straight line down from the neck and trying it on and marking where you want the neckline to be before cutting it. The ties come from part of the front bottom of the shirt (the 90 degree angle doesn't show once you knot them) so there's no sewing at all.

Back:

It would be pretty easy to dress this pattern up, like actually sew hems and everything, but like this its really nice to wear when it's hot enough for a tank top but just a tank top wouldn't be appropriate (I wore this pretty much every day last summer when I was working in an unair-conditioned lab)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Nicole Scherzinger Updo
How to Do a Curly Updo Inspired by Rihanna
How to Get Voluminous, Curly Hair at Home
How to Hone the Bohemian Minimalist Hair Look
The Best Bangs to Flatter Your Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...