A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How much to get my quilt "quilted" by someone?  (Read 3261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea
« on: August 09, 2009 07:37:01 PM »

I'm brand new to this. Haven't even started yet, but I've always loved the weight and feel of quilts and am dying to make my own.

I dunno if I'm going to have the patience to actually quilt it myself...and worry about ruining the entire thing!  So I'm just wondering what the average cost is to have someone do the quilting part for me?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009 03:16:05 PM »

It's really tough to pin that down. It varies based on the size of the quilt, how closely you want it quilted, and other factors like do you have to buy the batting from the person doing the quilting, and especially the design. (There are also quite a few others) However, to give you the *vaguest* idea, the quote for my last, queen sized quilt, with a basic quilting, was about $200. Again, this is a number that will fluctuate WILDLY depending on what you're doing, and the person you've got to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009 07:35:14 PM »

Thanks.  Yeah, I know it's hard to really say, since there's so many things to take into consideration. 

Definitely have to call around once I know more specifically what I'm going to make and want to have done for me.  It's nice to have an idea though...like if it's $20 or $200. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danni42683
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009 08:30:09 PM »

As the PP mentioned there is alot of things that go into the price of getting a quilt quilted, most quilters charge by the sq inch, they then charge by what design you want, then they charge per spool of thread with a min of so many spools, then SOME places charge a "loading" fee, if you are not going to stay local you will have to take into account the shipping to and from the shop doing the service for you! these charges also depend on the area that you live in!
Around here there is a quilt store that does an all over fairly tight panto pattern on a queen size quilt (91x102) for $40.00 for this price they provide a 6.6 high loft poly batting!

Do you have a local quilt store? If you do, do they offer the use of a long arm machine if you take their quilting class? I know many local quilt stores offer a quilting class for a fee (my <not so> local quilt store offers the class for 55 dollars) then once you take the class (generally about three hours) you can set up a time slot to come in and finish your unquilted tops, shops normally charge for this "service" by the hour. In this case you buy your own batting which allows one to buy it with a coupon or on sale! which in the long run would almost pay for your rental fees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 06:58:45 PM »

I love the idea of using the long-arm machine at a local shop.  It would be much easier for me to do that than by hand or on my regular sewing machine. I'll definitely look into that.  Thanks!

I would much rather pay to use the machine than have it done anyway! Then I can say I did all of it myself Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwbuggirlie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 11:47:23 AM »

How easy/difficult is it to find someone in my area to quilt something for me? Are local quilters usually listed online somewhere? Or it is easier to find someone online and mail the unfinished quilt to them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blogging about crafting to keep out of (much) trouble: http://craftyjennifer.blogspot.com/
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009 02:40:17 PM »

Look up the Machine Quilter's Association for your area - most places in the US have them, and they usually maintain a list of who's taking in work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AimeeRose
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009 09:12:53 AM »

This can also vary by region.  I'm jealous of dannie.  Supplying the batting and everything, I had a bill of $57 for the quilting on a lap size last christmas.  If your local shop rents time on their long arm, I'd try it. I think that's what I'm going to do this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009 01:05:05 PM »

Sorry to go with a bit of thread necromancy here, but to get the VAGUEST idea, when I was talking to a quilt store owner in my grandma's hometown.

http://www.riversidestitchinquilt.com/MachineCalculator.html

(Note: This company isn't either endorsed or disparaged by me, but it provides a vague, general guideline, for one store, for people who have no other clue and are, like me, too embarrassed to phone around with no idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lanterns Out of Jam Jars
How to Make a Cork Picture Frame
How to Create a Cake Stand
Ed Donovan Talks About Glass Blowing
Todd Hansen Talks About Glass Blowing
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...