A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Murder Mystery bridal shower  (Read 3632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2009 07:03:36 PM »

I finally put on my friend's murder mystery bridal shower.  We had it last Sunday from 6 till 9 p.m. (half an hour before and after was just spent chit-chatting).  It went really great.  The only problems were that two people who responded that they'd come never showed, and two other ladies were really late.  If you have one, I'd definitely recommend that you make it clear this isn't a party you can be late for.  I made it as clear as possible that women needed to come if they said they would, but perhaps I should have called the day before to remind everyone.  Anyway, I made all the characters and their plots up, so if you're interested in having a party, just let me know and I'll email you everything.
I started by sending out the invitations with a brief character description and a suggested costume idea.  Then when the ladies got there I greeted them (as a ghost) and gave them all nametags and character packets.  They could read the first page only, then had to wait to share the rest of the information in it until I let them read on (there were 4 parts).  There were prompts to interact with specific other ladies and sometimes just to make announcements or do something silly (sing a song, do a cheer, etc.).  I had a variety of characters - nun, biker, weather girl, etc. - and I based them and their names on their occupations.  Everyone had their same first name to make it easier.  Halfway through the story we paused to have the bride-to-be open her gifts.  We served drinks, appetizers, and cake all throughout the game.  I also had them play side games - a Family Feud-type game and a guess-what-the-bride-was-wearing memory game, plus they had to all guess who the killer was in the end.  I awarded prizes for winners of the two side games and best detective, best costume, and best actress.  Most everyone really enjoyed themselves and thought it was a fun alternative to traditional bridal showers.  Yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
~Kat~
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009 07:28:16 PM »

Awesome! I would have loved a shower like this! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009 10:12:07 PM »

I've always loved the murder mystery party idea and I love that you used it for a bridal shower. It's so unexpected. I wish I knew enough people willing to do a party like this... I'm sure none of my guests would show up on time or ready to play their characters  Roll Eyes
Great job getting all that planned and set up! The guests look great too. Did you try to pick characters for each person based on who they might be willing to play or was it random?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010 02:16:22 PM »

What a great idea! This is so great because you often have people who don't know each other very well, and then they all get to mix as a character!  My sister just got engaged and I'm the maid of honor so I might have to email you for the information!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010 09:20:59 AM »

Thanks.  It was definitely a blast.  It was perfect for such a diverse group of women too.  I mean, we had the grannies there even.  I had some of the characters reflecting things I knew about the women but I added fun stuff too (for instance, one woman from her bakery who attended I made a chef in the story, but also made her be a cheerleader).  I have all the stories interconnecting, but if you put an hour into it, you could fix it up to be specific for your women.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy, Breezy Mermaid Hair Tutorial
Gold Tipped Braids at Mara Hoffman NYFW 2014
Half Up Bella Thorne Hair Tutorial
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
How to Create Mermaid Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...