A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More classroom craftiness  (Read 3256 times)
Tags for this thread: classroom , bunting , garland  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009 05:33:35 PM »

Here are three little projects I've done for my classroom. Apologies for the lousy photo quality; I shot some of these with my cell phone because I forgot to bring my camera to school.

1. Literary pennant garland. We are doing a Route 66 theme this semester, so I'm trying to make my decorations look like stuff you'd find along the road. Here in Tulsa, we have about a two- to three-mile stretch of Route 66 that's just lined with used car lots as far as the eye can see, so I bounced off of that by getting one of those plastic pennant garlands you see around car lots ($16.99 for 140 feet at the party store) and used a Sharpie to write literary terms and their definitions on the pennants.

These serve a dual purpose: Theyre a way for the kids to learn something while staring off into space (not that any of my kids would do that, of course), and theyre a reference point for lessons when were discussing a particular term, I can say, OK somebody find the word assonance on the flags and tell us what it means. Some appear to be backwards because the pennants are translucent. I just wrote on one side of each pennant and alternated between front and back to make them accessible and easy to read from anywhere in the room.

Action shot of the pennants:

2. Bouquet o' pens. I did something similar last year and posted it, but I think this year's bouquet is more fun -- the butterflies are pens, too. Not an original idea, but a cute one that brightens up the room and reduces inadvertent pen theft.

3. Last but not least: This is a map I made for the kids to chart their grades. Its kind of a parody of the old postcard that says Here We Are on Route 66. (Click here to see the postcard: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/postcards-pictures-of/66n2-HereWeAre.jpg.) Instead of points, we are counting miles, with 2,448 miles available for the semester. The kids will keep the map in their portfolio, where they will use it to track their mileage.

Any other teachers out there with crafty classroom ideas to share?

Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009 05:42:36 PM »

More cleverness.  You are amazing.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 55 done
Genesis1:1
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009 06:36:39 PM »

Great classroom, love what you did with the theme.  I dont think my teachers were that clever. Your students are lucky to have you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009 07:24:08 PM »

Thanks! I have kind of an ulterior motive in all this: I teach six sections of English II, and I have the attention span of a gnat, so I'm not just trying to keep 25 or 30 fidgety teenagers occupied for one hour -- I'm also trying to keep one extremely fidgety grownup occupied for six consecutive hours.  Shocked

If I've got to spend the entire day in that classroom, I jolly well want it to be the kind of place where I'm comfortable hanging out, y'know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009 08:46:33 PM »

That's funny! Grin

Great job anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 55 done
four-eyed_girl
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 09:05:50 PM »

Hehe, I love this. I'm a high school art teacher...anything I made would be instantly destroyed. But I love that you jazz up your room with some great stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katie, your local 4-eyed girl
La Maestra
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009 07:15:17 AM »

Great ideas!  And it's important to know how to help the figety teacher, too  Wink  Wish they'd let us hang stuff from the ceiling, but fire marshall says no.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009 09:56:13 AM »

The room looks great.

I'll post some of my ideas once I get my room put together, probably next week. I'm waiting on an English teacher to get her stuff out of my room. I thought that packing that stuff up or at least putting most of it in a corner was standard end of the year etiquette, but I'm still pretty new to this gig.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009 09:59:39 AM »

Wish they'd let us hang stuff from the ceiling, but fire marshall says no.

That's why you take it down before he/she arrives! Smiley Is it an all out ban on hanging things from the ceiling? You might want to check. Ours just need to be a certain distance from doors, walls and light fixtures and must not displace any ceiling tiles. And no Christmas lights, which makes me sad but I totally get it. I do have a secret code violating smelly candle. I think kids like you more when you room smells like cookies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009 03:31:35 PM »

Thanks! I have kind of an ulterior motive in all this: I teach six sections of English II, and I have the attention span of a gnat, so I'm not just trying to keep 25 or 30 fidgety teenagers occupied for one hour -- I'm also trying to keep one extremely fidgety grownup occupied for six consecutive hours.  Shocked

If I've got to spend the entire day in that classroom, I jolly well want it to be the kind of place where I'm comfortable hanging out, y'know?

Redforkhippie, I think we must be two peas in a pod. I think the same way. If I'm not comfortable in my classroom, I know my students aren't.

Your penants are inspiring! I just wish I could do that with my classroom. Unfortunately, my principal would never approve because it would set off our security system. *sigh*

I'll have to post some pics of stuff I've made for my classroom soon! I've just moved from a mobile unit into the main building so I'll unbox some goodies and post them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Anti-Aging Clothing Repairs Skin, While It Sucks It In
5 Ways to Wear a Maxi Skirt for Any Occasion
Kendall And Kylie Jenner Prefer Natural Makeup Over Kardashian Glam
7 New Ways to Wear Your Black Pencil Skirt
Our Top Picks From the Prabal Gurung For Target Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...