A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making a bib, I kinda need some help?  (Read 1002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curlsmakethegirl
« on: August 07, 2009 05:00:08 PM »

I posted this in the Baby Showers and Gifts For New Babies board too, but it seems like more people frequent this one?

So I've made a bib before... for a doll... So it was pretty tiny. But now a friend's friend is having a baby (due in September!) and I offered to make the new baby a few things as a gift. As long as I get pictures of the cutie in the stuff!  That's not wrong for pay, right?
Anyways. I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of how big to make the neck area of the bib? I'd like to do them with a snap closure, instead of ties.
Any sizes you could give me would do. Like, newborn? A few months? Toddler? Does it ever change? =P

And what types of absorbent material have you mamas found works best for messes? And I was thinking of making a little pocket on them, because I've heard that mom's find those easy to clean up? Any other information?
And would the same absorbent material you say works for bibs, be best for burp cloths too? And if I covered those in a cute print material, what would work best? Soft cotton? Flannel? Etc, etc.

My mom doesn't understand why I want to use cute material if she's just going to puke all over it but I don't care. This is what I would want if it were my baby! Something adorable to be thrown up on.

I don't have a baby yet (FAR future). So please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thank you for helping! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009 05:32:16 PM »

I just gave away all my bibs to a grandmother in need.  You could just go to Target or nearest store and measure the neck holes.  The newborn ones are a tad smaller but I found those useless even in the begining.  Just make them regular sized, also for the bib part, make them good sized too, as a mother of two, I liked the bigger bibs better, more surface space for cleaning drooly mouths hehe.  Flannel is nice, also that loopy stuff like some kitchen and bath towels are made of because they absorb liquids nice.  Also, if she's going to formula feed, don't use light colors  because formula stains like no other, and it's a tanish brown color. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curlsmakethegirl
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009 05:47:48 PM »

Thank you! I'll go buy a bib from Target and measure it.
Oh thank you! She is formula feeding, I believe. And I was going to make them with this cute light pink material! haha! Thank you for that!
Okay, I'll look for that type of material. Do you happen to know the difference between terry cloth and chenille? I see people using chenille on the back of their bibs and it looks just like terry cloth?

You're so helpful on these boards! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009 10:59:51 PM »

I'm not sure of the difference, maybe someone else can answer.  The only thing I can think of is that it's a soft liner. 

Thanks....I try.  I know how hard it is when you post and no one responds, so if it's something I can contribute to I try.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009 08:37:47 PM »

Another really great and easy idea is to buy some plain bibs from a store and applique, embroider on to them for that personalised touch. I made burp cloths from flannel. Some I sewed print facing, turned right way out and then sewed a border stitch around and others I sewed bias binding around, both looked good. As for length for burp cloth. you probably want them from your shoulder blade at the back to your arm pit at the front! and as wide as a shoulder! You could use terry towel for the front (or back of the burp cloths to make them more absorbant (I'm told that formula burps REALLY stink so you probably want to make sure it is ALL absorbed!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FriendlyJas
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 07:35:49 AM »

So, I assume you are making feeding bibs and not just drool bibs. To make a bib waterproof, you can add a layer of PUL or even vinyl in between your fabrics. Minky fabric for bibs and burp cloths are cute, but believe me, they do nothing as far as absorbing mess. They are actually pretty gross because the mess just smears over the minky surface and the thing is wet and cold and gross. (I recently made this mistake with burp cloths.) I prefer terry on bibs and burp cloths. I actually prefer to buy towels at Wal-Mart than to use terry by the yard. The towels are much thicker and give your project a little bulk, which I find both cute and more absorbant. And I think regular cotton looks nicer than flannel. Although, using flannel on one side and cotton on the other can be really cute, though slim. The pocket bibs are really for older babies that eat baby food (past 6 months old) and are really best if they are vinyl all over so the food runs down the bib and collects in the pocket. You can cover cute cotton with clear vinyl and bind with bias tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curlsmakethegirl
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009 09:45:32 PM »

Thank you all so much for your help! I've got a few done, and once ALL the baby stuff is made, I'll make sure and post it Cheesy
Thank you again!<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2012 Halloween Costume Looks
Tim Gunn With Marlo Thomas
5 Boots You Need in Your Closet Now
The Five Items Every Woman Should Have In Her Closet, from Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn On The Black Leather Jacket
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...