A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glasses, mini dominoes, and four leaf clovers  (Read 3007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyndy225
« on: August 07, 2009 03:08:01 PM »

I seem to have collected a few things that need to be put to good use. These are my favorites at the moment.

They're all for different types of drinks, but I honestly can't remember which is for what. I have four each of the two smaller ones and two of the taller ones. All of the glasses are fairly small, the smallest at about 4 inches tall and the tallest at just of 6 inches. I think I might also have some larger single glasses around somewhere. I think candles would look nice in them, but I wouldn't really use them. Anyone have any ideas that would turn them into something functional for a non-drinker?

I got these at a local Good Will. They were just too cute to resist. I've seen some neat jewelry with the regular sized dominoes, but I wouldn't know where to get started. Do you think these would be too hard to put holes through from side to side? Also, I'd like to hear if anyone has any other ideas for them.

And last but not least for now, when looking through old photo albums with my mom, I came across my collection of four leaf clovers! I had collected these over 10 years ago and there's at least 25 dried clovers in there. I just think it's so awesome that I found them, but I can't think of anything to do with them. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009 03:28:11 PM »

decorate the glasses by reverse glass painting and finish the inside with something strong and smooth, some kind of varnish.  then use them to store hold beads and buttons and things.  actually you could do that without decorating them, too.

ETA:  my friend whose daughter was good at finding 4-leaf-clovers, had them laminated and cut into rectangular little cards to give to her friends for their good luck.  even the friends who don't believe in luck, like me, will remember her by the clover.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009 03:29:59 PM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009 03:43:59 PM »

You could try clamping the dominos down in a vise and using a very fine bit to drill through.  You could also buy or make bails from wire/metal and use a good strong glue to attach them to the peice.  Is the back smooth?  I would be tempted to use the surface of the domino to make painted jewelry.  Or decorated with decoupage or something like that.  What is the material of them - could be interesting to carve too.

As for the glasses, I would be tempted to etch or paint them too, and use them to hold things.  To hold jewelry, keys, spare change in the bedroom, or by the front door.  To hold cloves of garlic, or fill with water to hold sprigs of fresh herbs in the kitchen.  Fill with dirt, moss, sand, water to start small plants in.  To hold q-tips, lipsticks, cotton pads in the bathroom, that kind of idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ostera15
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009 04:03:29 PM »

Gel candles in the glasses would be neat for gifts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ostera15/
Save  the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate  !!!!
killahsewah
Ze March St Pierre Goddess Wannabe

i'm bringing sexy sewing back

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009 04:14:08 PM »

you should find a cheap simple small glass or plastic vase and glue the dominoes on it for a domino vase Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sacr Bleu! Ze pins ind ze neetles wun't stup moi!
www.NelleAndNoodle.etsy.com
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 05:02:09 PM »

use the dominoes for mini pendants and stick bails to the back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 05:23:30 PM »

My two cents worth.  The glasses from left to right are a brandy snifter, a wine glass, and a margarita glass.  Make gel candles to look like those drinks.  Of course, if you do a margarita candle, you have to include the salt around the rim.

The dominoes can be drilled with a small drill, front to back or side to side.  I've done both.  It takes a little patience, but it can be done.  I've drilled scrabble tiles the same way.  You might lose a couple while you practice, but just stay with it.

As for the four-leaf clovers, frame them and hang them on your wall.  Talk about good luck! 

Anyway, that's my ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
QuickFlops
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 05:29:19 PM »

I made keychains with resin and my 4-leaf clovers.  Grin  Have you tried working with resin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009 05:55:24 PM »

use the dominoes for mini pendants and stick bails to the back

you're just in love with those dominoes aren't you, boo?  Wink

I think Onyxnox has some really cute ideas.  I had one, but it was the same as one of her's: etching them.  the one on the left really caught my eye.  I have 2 shelves in my craft room filled with glass items that I am dying to etch and/or bead.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
cyndy225
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009 07:24:09 PM »

I love the glass decorating ideas, I would like to give etching a try. They would look really neat filled with beads or buttons or in a bathroom, but the only problem I have using them for everyday storage is that Im a bit of a massive klutz Undecided Maybe for small plants where I dont have to touch them too often.

Onyxnox, boo_zombie, and pinokeeo, thanks for the advice with the dominoes. The back is smooth. Im not sure what theyre made of, probably some sort of plastic. I will definitely try bails and drilling, see which one I like better. Theres probably a whole discussion board on this somewhere, but what might be the best type of glue?

killahsewah, a vase would look really nice. Theyre just slightly translucent and would glow a little. 

QuickFlops, havent tried working with resin yet but I definitely want to try at some point. (I just discovered my local Michaels has liquid Sculpey, so thats my current toy)

I love all of the clover ideas. Lets see, so far I need to laminate some, frame some, try out resin, and find some more four leaf clovers so I can do more!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and ideas.

And a last random note, I was looking for ideas for the glasses and came across this: http://www.geekologie.com/2007/05/zipper_wine_glasses.php

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Create a Web Layout from a Photoshop File in Adobe Flash CS3
How to Use InDesign Essentials
How To Edit Videos With Goggle Picasa3
Peachpit TV: Using the Displacement Filter in Photoshop
Photoshop Glamor Shot Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...