A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - Aug. 7, 2009  (Read 3423 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WMA
« on: August 07, 2009 07:20:17 AM »

10am and no fiber-y goodness?!! What's a girl to do!? lol

I haven't posted any yarns for a while...I haven't had much time to spin! It's been a busy summer and yet I feel like I've been busy doing nothing =/

So here are my contributions this week...

My first corespun! 143 yds - I got the lovely cormo roving at the Maryland Sheep and Wool fest, put it through the drum carder with some green and purple sparklies and some uncarded white tencel and spun it on a crochet thread core. Spun on a dropspindle...one of these days I'll have a wheel...

Next up... 215 yds - this is also spun from some lovely cormo roving I got at the Maryland Sheep and Wool fest...also put through the drum carder with some gold sparklies! As I was spinning I added in some novelty yarn and made my first attempt at coils. Plied with a dark green thread that has a pretty sheen to it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009 07:47:23 AM »

Gorgeous!   I feel you on the 'i've been so busy, but busy with nothing'  feeling.. I've barely had time to spin, yet have done very little this summer.... strange how that goes....
Great start to Fiber friday!
Happy spinning!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekycraftgrl
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009 09:58:11 AM »

wonderful yarns. Love that first core spun one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feverdream
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009 01:58:40 PM »

WMA- Love your purply corespun!

Why aren't there more posts yet? I wasn't gonna post anything (I haven't posted to fiber Friday in a looooong time), but I feel like I should now.

This is the latest thing I've spun. It's really just a grab bag of whatever fibers I had left after the handspun swap. It became a sassy scarf.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009 02:01:48 PM by feverdream » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my etsy shop!
My wists
"the best part about life is knowing that you put it together yourself." -trent reznor
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009 02:53:46 PM »

Smiley .........I love love love all the yarns this week so far!   Kiss

I've only had time to spin one.............it was from a gorgeous roving I received from cyndi (mullerslanefarm) ........

and this is how I spun it up...........

LOL............I'm still trying to decide if I want to ply it with something.......... ....or keep it sock weight so I can use it for color work on my socks............. Roll Eyes

And THIS is why I haven't had time to spin............... .. Wink

group pic

Jungle Mist

Waterfalls

Saturday's Sundae

Sailor's Warning

HAPPY FIBER FRIDAY Y'ALL!!!   Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
knkurz
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 05:04:38 PM »

Well, I have completed my move from Alaska to Washington state!  And as such, I am jobless.  So, I've had lots of fibery time!  Plus, I got in at the Farmers Market here in Battle Ground!!!  So, starting tomorrow, I'll be there every saturday for the rest of the season, provided that I don't HAVE to take a job that requires me to work weekends.  Needless to say, I've been busy cataloging and tagging all my yarns.  I don't have a drum carder yet (my last PFD check from Alaska will help with that!!) so no batts here, and also no dyeing...just yarns and new fibers.

OHHHHHHHHHHH and an angora rabbit!  I have my very own baby bunny.  She's beautiful.  I'd never seen angoras in any colors besides white and grey before (although I knew black and browns exist), but my bunny is a coppery-red!  The heat down here was horrible a week or so ago and the lady I bought her from had to clip off all the bunny's hair ( and it wasn't savable D: ) so it's pretty short, but I've done a little plucking at the longer spots and the hair that comes off is a lovely fawny-red color.  I'm super excited for her hair to grow out again so I can hand groom her all the time!  None of this clipping and waiting for it to grow out business for me...not until next summer at least Tongue

Okay, enough wordy gibberish from me!  Without further ado, pictures!  (also probably some lengthy captions since I'm feeling wordy today Tongue)

The bunny!  The white patches you see are still her baby fur growing out.  Although her head has always been red, her body fur was white at first.  The red is growing in, though, and she will be GORGEOUS.  I'm too excited for words!  She's a purebred satin with a pedigree and everything.  One day I might get into rabbit breeding, once I'm settled down and have a good, steady job.  Until then, she'll be all by herself with me.  Plus, if I get into the breeding thing, I'm going to have to start clipping and I don't like how it looks!

The first time I held my rabbit ( I named her Bunny FooFoo  Cheesy ) I got this lovely present:

Let's just say that putting on deodorant felt like a bitch for the next couple days.

I got a new package of fiber today (shipping is SO much faster to WA than to AK!  The shipping from the UK to here took 3 days, and the shipping from the UK to AK takes about 2 weeks regardless of the item)!  My SO decided to help me out and wrapped me in it  Roll Eyes

I haven't started spinning this one yet, but it reminds me of sherbert, and I'm excited to spin it.

I also got this one:

which somehow looks cooler in the picture than it does to me in person.  I decided to spin it first since I like it less to see if it would grow on me, and it has!  So that's good Smiley  Both of these were from Sara's Texture Crafts which one of you yarn-y ladies mentioned in one of these threads...I think it was Belladune.  Whoever you were, thanks!  Her fiber is nice.  A small word of warning, though - the end of the roving was cut, instead of pulled apart like most rovings are.  It perplexed me, but it hasn't really presented much of a problem.  I managed to get the cut ends to lie inside of the yarn instead of stick out all willy-nilly.  We'll see on the other one...

Here's the yarn it is turning into (which reminds me of Fruit Loops!):

Oh, I almost forgot!  I spun up two yarns yesterday.  One is from the Ashford 80/20 Merino/Silk blends.  1 oz, 97 yds, 17 wpi, Passionfruit:

And one of my own design!  I received some black bear fur from a friend which he gathered while hunting, and I blended it with qiviut and husky hair (all Alaska animals  Grin) and spun it up into this laceweight.  1.5 oz, 260 yds, 32 wpi, Unnamed:

And the two yarns together:

Okay, that's enough out of me Smiley

WMA, I'm impressed with your corespun!  I don't think I could corespin on a spindle... (but then, I've never used spindles much Tongue)  Either way, I can imagine how time-consuming that was! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RevRee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 05:40:44 PM »

Okay mine is nowhere close to being pretty..... but it is my FIRST spun yarn! I am so proud! It is a lot easier than I thought it would be! ( Now I want a wheel hee-hee)

PICS:

YAY!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 06:10:33 PM »

Smiley........Congrats on the move and the new bunny knkurz...........an d I love those rovings............ ..I immediately thought of fruit loops when I saw the second one too!   Grin

RevRee..........tha t's a fabulous first spin!  Be sure to finish it and save it.  It'll become a cherished yarn when you've been spinning a while.............. . Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
RubyPurl
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009 06:13:02 PM »

I received some roving from Gale's Art. You can find her over here...http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5353128

and spun it into this

I love the colors.  It's called "Crayon Box"

Everyone has spun such lovely yarn.  This thread is such an inspiration! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009 07:04:16 PM »

Yay for bunnies and first spun yarns! They're both beautiful! Wink Grin

I actually have things to share this week!

A blend of many fibers from my stash including bamboo, hand blended batts from Etsy, SSS mill ends mohair & regular wool, dyed mohair locks, firestar and lots of sequins:
"Midnight Party Down"

A batt I got from spin span spun on Etsy:
"Berry Dreamin'"

From a batt I got from penguino in the fiber swap:
"5AM"

A single of SSS roving with some mohair in it, dyed with pink lemonade Kool-Aid:

alpaca/bamboo roving from The Fiber Lady, my thinnest yarn yet:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My First Book Became A Lifetime Movie
Author And Mom Describes How Divorce Led To Her Steamy Memoir
CoolAge Blogfest Winners at Spring Fest, IIT Kharagpur
Jerry Stahl LIVE
All Fishermen Are Liars by John Gierach
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...