A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wrestled and wrestled with this bag!!!  (Read 2646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2009 08:16:46 PM »

This bag is a special order from my Mom.  I wrestled with this thing forever, trying to get the pieces sewn together correctly...but it's done now, and I can move on to other things that won't give me such a neck ache!

A few details that she specifically asked for...
a messenger style bag without the adjustable strap
outside pocket on the back
outside pocket on the side for cell phone
(the biggest pain in the butt...divider down the middle! arghhh, enough to make a grown woman cry, cuss, swear...whatever  Angry
pen pockets, and what she calls poofy pockets!

This bag also has a snap closure and detailed curve on the flap to reveal the contrasting fabric underneath.  I used wooden rings on the handle which I thought was a nice touch.  ON to the pictures!!!

front of the bag up close...

complete view...

Inside view of pockets...and "poofy" pockets!

wooden ring detail..

Outside back pocket...

Thanks for looking  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 09:20:14 PM »

Can I be your mom?
Do you need another mom?  I'm sure several of us here will volunteer to be your mom!

My gosh, you have created one of the most beautiful purses I've seen in a long, long time.  Your choice of fabric is exquisite.  The quality of the fabric you selected appears to be excellent quality.  I love the 2-lining fabrics.  The combo is magnificent.

Now, as to the lines in this purse:  They are unique, interesting, functional and creative.  I don't know if you created the pattern or purchased a pattern.  I don't care.  I love it.

Your workmanship is wonderful.  Your stitches are even and straight.  What patience you have!  What a great eye for color you have.  I love this purse.  Your mom will go nuts when she sees it.

You Rock and so does this purse.

Purse Stuff - Paula
Your new mom
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
crafty gurll
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 09:44:04 PM »

Awesome bag!  She will LOVE it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeluvlilG
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 11:59:02 PM »

I LOVE how this bag stands up on it's own. I'm kind of crazy about that in a bag, I hate when they're just a floppy sack of fabric. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've been working hard to post daily and keep providing creative content on my blog:
  http://acireg.blogspot.com
Etsy:
  http://acirebaby.etsy.com
  http://acireg.etsy.com
Facebook:
  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acire-Adventures-Blog/118056124922448
Twitter:
  http://twitter.com/4Acire
pinkbuttercup
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009 07:53:41 AM »

Wow! This is definitely professional-quality! Beautiful bag.. Your stitching is freakin' flawless! Well, the whole bag is actually. (totally jealous here! haha Wink) I'd say your wrestling with it definitely paid off. Now how do those wooden rings on the handles work, like how do you put them on & attach the handle & whatnot? What did you use to make it so sturdy? Man.. I hope to make a bag this nice sometime!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 08:13:31 AM »

The struggles were worth it b/c that is a really awesome bag! I love all the pockets and the divider and the cut out on the front to reveal the contrast is completely unique and very nicely (professionaly) done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
frogangel
I'm willing to do a personal swap! :-)

"Paint it black with a splash of HOT pink!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 09:50:03 AM »

Wow! You did an awesome job on this bag! I bet it was well worth the cursing and struggles in the end.  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 12:58:19 PM »

WOW!  I've never gotten such nice compliments from the bags I've made!!!  Thank you guys!!

Wow! This is definitely professional-quality! Beautiful bag.. Your stitching is freakin' flawless! Well, the whole bag is actually. (totally jealous here! haha ) I'd say your wrestling with it definitely paid off. Now how do those wooden rings on the handles work, like how do you put them on & attach the handle & whatnot? What did you use to make it so sturdy? Man.. I hope to make a bag this nice sometime!!

I buy old bags/purses at yard sales (and don't pay more than .50 cents) and harvest all the hardware I can from them.  I have zip lock bags filled with metal/plastic/wooden rings and such just waiting to be put on a bag I make.  So, when you attach them to the main body of the bag, you have a 3-4" strip of handle that you feed through the loop and sew closed.  Then when u sew the lining and outsides together, you pin the loop with the handle in place and sew over top of it.  Then once the body of the bag is sewn together, you feed the main handle through each loop, fold it over so there are no raw edges showing, and sew them down as well. 

I used Pellon Peltex for the stabilizer on the outside pieces (minus the flap) and craft fuse on the inside...which is NOT my favorite but it does make it nice and sturdy!!  Craft fuse can take on a papery look if it gets wrinkled but it was only on the lining and I figured it wouldn't be seen much.  Also Mom said it would be fine. Smiley As you said, these two things combined make for a super sturdy bag!!  One thing I would recommend when using the peltex is to cut it about a 1/4" shorter all around from your fabirc pieces...whatever your seam allowance is.  3 reasons...
-when it's sewn into your seam it doesn't fold over nicely because it is so stiff!
-too many pieces to sew through and ur machine will hate you for it!
-helps you keep a nice straight seam!

Thanks so much guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bakaness
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009 07:50:33 AM »

Guh. WANT. That is so freaking pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009 05:17:48 AM »

OOOOOOOOH  this totally ROCKS!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...