A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hell's Kitchen punk rock safety pin skirt  (Read 1688 times)
Tags for this thread: safety_pin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CalamityShop
« on: August 06, 2009 05:51:38 PM »

I love this one! I'm a little concerned about how it will do in the washer with all the safety pins, though. Any thoughts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 06:12:00 PM »

You can either put it in a lingerie bag or take the pins out each time. I vote former. As for the skirt, love the concept and love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Kaseyana
The Fashionable Blogging Vegetarian

Life is too short to wear boring clothes.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 06:48:16 PM »

Did you get the idea from generation tee? I've made a lot of the projects from that book but wasn't totally convinced about that one. But I really love yours!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sla574
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 07:08:54 PM »

How cute!!!
What if you super glue the pins so they don't come undone in the wash? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009 07:29:30 PM »

use a pair of pliers to pinch the saftey pins permanently closed. then I'd also use some fray check around the bottom of the pin on the fabric to prevent it from tearing.

If you need to wash it put it in a pillowcase and tie a knot in the top or use a scrunchie to secure the top.  Wash on gentle cycle and pretreat any stains with a bit of soap as soon as they happen.

It should be fine that way. Smiley It looks great and totally wearable! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stellaheartocean

inappropriate in every way imaginable

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 10:29:13 AM »

I'd recommend not putting it in the washing machine at all, things like this are best washed by hand. Cool idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gunstreetgirl on Ravelry
www.varnishedvalkyr ie.blogspot.com
CalamityShop
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 03:11:04 PM »

I did get the idea from Generation T! I love that book. Did you know there is a second one out now? Can't remember the name....something like "Beyond Fashion." It's great too.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DuctTapeRockStar
Maowzers.

Maowzers.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009 08:13:06 PM »

I have Generation T....I always kinda wondered how that would look....I've never been one for long skirts so I never made one, but yours looks amazing!
As for washing...I use safty pins on my clothes (and forget about them) all the time...And forget about them...The worst my safty pins have done in the wash is rust a small bit on the fabric...But of all my safty pinned clothes it only happened to one in like one place, personally I wouldn't worry about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive."

~ Eric A. Burns
skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009 06:30:15 AM »

I have Generation T....I always kinda wondered how that would look....I've never been one for long skirts so I never made one, but yours looks amazing!
As for washing...I use safty pins on my clothes (and forget about them) all the time...And forget about them...The worst my safty pins have done in the wash is rust a small bit on the fabric...But of all my safty pinned clothes it only happened to one in like one place, personally I wouldn't worry about it.
Me too. I always forget about my safety pins and just throw the clothes in, pins and all. Sometimes they rust a bit, but you only really notice on white clothes. I'd advise putting your skirt in a pillow case as said above though. Because it's a bit longer and physically held together with pins, if it got tangled around another garment in the wash the pins could rip a bit of a hole, stretch out and distort the garment. Looks great by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Love It All: HardWired Behind the Scenes
Stylish Skirts In Sheer Fabrics
Victoria Beckham Designs Chic Denim
How to Dress for Your Hair Color: Brunette
Beyonce Debuts Her New Bob on Stage
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...