A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,771
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bleach tye-dye and applique  (Read 1420 times)
Tags for this thread: shibori , tie_dye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CalamityShop
« on: August 06, 2009 05:39:57 PM »

This used to be a plain purple shirt with some insurance company logo. I tie-dyed it with bleach (it was my first time and I can't believe how amazing it turned out!) and sewed a heart applique over the logo. I love it! It's too small for me though.

I was thinking about altering it some more. Cutting off the sleeves and maybe adding some purple ribbon. I don't want to mess it up though. What do you think?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daymoth
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 10:06:15 PM »

wow. I love how the tie dye turned out and I normally don't like that but this is gorgeous! Personally I would say go ahead and alter it some more but then again I'm one of those people that doesn't care for the look of a regular shaped t shirt. Either way, it's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChocLair
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009 07:06:13 AM »

how do you get different shades of purple? Any particular way in applying the bleach?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CalamityShop
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009 03:20:37 PM »

I think the diff. shades just came from how much bleach soaked into each spot. You know, you bunch the shirt up in several places and put really tight rubber bands around each part. The darkest purple was the original color of the shirt, and none of the bleach water got in there because the rubber bands kept it out. It's just random and has to do with luck, I think! I just filled the sink with some bleach water and submerged the whole shirt. I had to leave it in there for awhile before anything happened. I didn't think it was going to work at first. I tried this on a red shirt and absolutely nothing happened. So I think it depends on the kind of dye used on the shirt when it was first made. Just experiment, it's fun, even if it turns out bad! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Reflective Wristbands for Halloween
How to Sculpt a Halloween Pumpkin
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Ghost Ornaments from Gauze
How to Make a Halloween Tablecloth
Designing a Quick and Easy Halloween Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...