A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,515
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: male jewelry  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catdaddytn
« on: August 06, 2009 01:02:12 PM »

I"m getting ready for a craft show and I've been asked, what about male jewelry? and what about jewelry for larger ladies?  OK - so I know very little about male jewelry.  I brought in some bracelets that fit my colleague with a wide wrist.  I do tend to fit myself and my wrist is small.  Also, I'm only 5 ', so I generally go for shorter necklaces.  The necklace I shared with my colleague was long enough without any special fittings.

What size necklaces/bracelets do you make?  Which ones sell more?  I think I could fit any size, as a custom-made piece.  I have made part of a bracelet and then measured it directly on my customer and finished it right then and there.  It's a good idea to try the bracelet on again before "smashing" the crimp bead. 

Memory wire bracelets seem to be a one-size fit most, in my experiences.  Adding extender chains helps with sizing, but I think this only works with lobster clasps.  The only problem with lobster clasps is with bracelets.  Personally, I think toggle clasps for bracelets are much easier to put on without help.  Stretchie bracelets do have some leeway with sizing, to some degree.

Since my wrist is small, most store bought bracelets are too big.  Apparently, some larger women have difficulty with jewelry sizing.

I certainly don't mean any disrespect to anyone with these thoughts.  We all have our size differences and challenges.

Any ideas for male jewelry?
thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 01:39:08 PM »

Um, I don't know if this will help, but most of the male bracelets that I've sold or made for my hubby have been 8", 8 1/2", or 9"- necklaces, I usually ask the customer's collar measurement (mostly 16", 17", and 18") for close-fitting, collar-type (choker) necklaces. But my man and the men around here tend towards the big, strapping sort, 6' or more!  Wink

For larger sized women, just think the same way- add an inch or two to the sizes that you usually do, and work from there. Generally, for a moderate Amazon (such as myself, at 5'8", size 20), 7 1/2" for a looser bracelet will work- but if you're anticipating larger customers with bigger bones, add a couple, or finish at the point of sale.

Good luck! Hope your venture turns out great!  Grin

Addendum: Wrists on us larger gals aren't usually that much bigger than our slenderer counterparts- extra weight doesn't tend land in that area quite so much! But larger bone structures, as with men....that's another story. Again, good luck!  Wink
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 01:46:43 PM by leopardstripes - Reason: got interrupted by my boss *giggle* » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
Charon
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009 08:05:20 AM »

Couple other things to note. I'm a small guy, so I tend to make bracelets for myself only about 6.5" or so. When in doubt, extender chains aren't a horrible idea. Just a simple chain of eyes for your hook and eye or s-hook clasps so they're somewhat adjustable. The other thing is that guys tend to like their jewellry fairly heavy-bulky. Just a length increase might not quite catch their eye. A little broader, and if your medium allows for it, more dense and heavy. When aiming for a male sized bracelet, I start at 8" in length. For necklaces 18" is a good start for torc/collar type stuff. 22-24" probably for longer chains with or without pendants.

I work in maille, which does give some freedom in sizing and resizing that's probably spoiled me a bit. Takes me only a minute or so, assuming I have the rings with me, to add a couple inches to a single chain. With beadwork, well, totally not my area, but if you have or can devise a way to size-to-fit on a purchase, that'll really say alot to your customers about how much you want them to be happy. Might be a little extra time, but it's definitely worth it when they tell their friends that you finished it for them on the spot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009 09:52:24 AM »

There are also some gathered tips on making jewelry for males on this page at my site, if you want to check them out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/gifts_men_teachers.htm
(...the Men's Gifts category starts at the top of the page)

The info there doesn't have a lot to do with size in particular though, more with "type" and "color" of jewelry, etc.   (Charon's comments about broadness and weight are good too and probably true for most males.)
Also, my site is primarily about polymer clay but many of the same design concerns would apply to any medium.

P.S.  I think there's a sub-board here at Craftster re clothing for "larger" women, so that might be a good place to post this question too... just what sizes do they want? and what other considerations would they want you to keep in mind?

Good luck,

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
catdaddytn
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009 03:09:30 PM »

good points, thanks.

Diane B.  - good question.  I wasn't real sure what was being asked.  I have made a couple of pieces that were bigger and fit just fine.  I think it's a length thing.  I've heard, but I couldn't wear that around my neck (size-wise)

I do like the extender chain idea.  I've used that before, but I really prefer toggle clasp for a bracelet.  For me, a toggle is much easier to get on and off.  As far as I know, the extender needs a lobster claw.

Thanks for you ideas.  I'm preparing for my first craft show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
Charon
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 05:35:20 AM »

I use S and J form hooks with extenders. I avoid lobster claws anymore. Not that I have a huge issue with them, just that I'd prefer to make my own clasps. Toggles, I think, are good when people can try a piece on, or have it fitted on-site. They're generally more attractive, but some people unfamiliar with them might be weary about them disengaging themselves, and if a bracelet isn't fitted it's certainly a possibility. Wouldn't worry about them at all with a necklace unless your buyer is prone to random backflip attacks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sauteed Green Beans Recipe
Marinated Chicken Breast Recipe
Rice Pilaf Recipe
Fun Filled Chilli Recipe
Newport Fried Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...