A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Back Pack with tutorial on page 2  (Read 6119 times)
Tags for this thread: treble_clef , music , tutorial , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

landofoz
« on: August 06, 2009 11:22:17 AM »

I made a backpack for my daughter.  She loves music and has been begging for some sort of music-themed bag, when we found this fabric on sale for $2 at Joanne's, I just had to make it for her!  The back of the bag is quilted with the outline of a gigantic note, which I forgot to get pics of.  I took a bunch of pictures so I could make a tute if anyone wants it.  There seems to be a lack of actual back pack tutes on the internet. Tongue  Oh and I used a parka zipper, 'cause we all know that the first thing to go on backpacks are those cheapy zippers!

Okay, this is my first tut so bare/bear with me here.  It's a bit complicated because God forbid I try something easy.  If something isn't clear let me know and I'll help or re-write the instructions as needed.

Supplies:
1.5 yards of patterned fabric
.5 yards of solid duck
28 inch parka double zipper
1 yard stiff fusible interfacing (I used pellon 71, with one side fusible)
.5 yards batting
Matching heavy-duty thread
1 inch of velcro
Nylon strapping cut into 2, 12 inch lengths and 2, 4 inch lengths, lightly burn the edges with matches to prevent fraying.
2 slides (strap adjusters) for the nylon strapping
All seam allowances are a half inch.

Cut out your pieces to the following sizes:
Outside pieces:
front/back piece (music notes): 13x16 (cut 2)
front/back bottom piece (black): 13x3 (cut 2)
Gusset (music): 4 1/4 x 29
Gusset (black): 1 3/4 x 29
Gusset sides (black): 3 x 6 (cut 2)
Gusset sides (music): 4 x 6 (cut 2)
Bottom (black): 13x6
Interfacing: 13x18 (cut 2) and 13x6 (just one)
Batting: 13x18 (cut 2)
Cut 4 pieces of fabric and 2 interfacing 16x4 in a hockey stick shape (for the straps)
Cut 4 pieces of batting 16x4 in the same shape as your hockey sticks
45* angle triangle side thingy: 2 inches tall from peak to bottom and 3.5 inches wide on bottom (cut 2 from fabric and 1 from interfacing)

Pocket:
Black fabric: 7x6 (cut 2)
Interfacing: 7x6
1 inch velcro

Inside pieces:
front/back: 13x18 (cut 2)
Gusset (for zipper area): 29x5
Gusset (for other side of zipper): 29x2
Gusset sides: 13x6 (cut 2)
Bottom: 13x6

Sew together the front outside piece to the front bottom. Then sew together the back outside front to the back bottom.

Press seams down towards bottom of bag.

Topstitch seam (I like 2 rows of top stitching, the first row is a 1/4 inch off the seam and the second row is right on the seam).

Iron on interfacing to the front and back pieces that you just sewed.  Then pin both pieces of batting on the back and baste.  (Okay, I didn't do this to the back piece because I used the backing of an old backpack instead.)  Quilt a pattern onto the back piece -- the lines can be about 2-3 inches apart, if you like.  I quilted a music note.

Pin and sew black long gusset piece to zipper.  Top stitch.  

Pin and sew patterned long gusset piece to other side of zipper.  Top stitch.

Sew together the short gusset black and gusset music.  Press seam towards the black fabric and top stitch.  Sew one of these to either side of the zipper piece.  Press this seam towards the black fabric and top stitch. Hopefully this is what your ends will look like:

Iron pocket interfacing to pocket piece.  With right sides together, sew pocket pieces together, leaving a 3 inch opening, so you can turn it right side out.  Iron thoroughly.  Don't topstitch (yet).  Sew on velcro to the pocket piece.  Align pocket onto bag where you'd like it at and then pin in place the other piece of velcro onto the bag.  Sew.  Pin pocket onto bag and top stitch to secure the pocket to the bag.

Now for the straps. Iron interfacing to the triangles.  I don't have pics of this and I wish I did.  Please look at the pictures and try to make sense of these directions here.  It's a bit complicated and I'm bound to confuse everyone.  Take the longer piece of nylon strapping and put it so that it will be near the peak of the triangle on the slope that faces the bottom of the bag.  (See, I told you I'd confuse you!) With right sides together, sew together the triangles and the nylon, leaving the bottom of the triangle open, it will be sewed up later.  Reinforce this seam several times, as it will bear a lot of weight.  Turn, iron, and top stitch.

Iron interfacing to each of the hockey sticks.  Pin 1 layer of batting to each of the hockey sticks.  With right sides together, sew hockey sticks, leaving the very top 4 inch edge open.  Turn the hockey stick right side out and sew a line right up the center to secure everything in place.  Slip one side of short nylon strapping into slider and sew on, leaving a 2 inch tail.  Sew the tail securely onto one of the hockey sticks you just made. Please be sure to sew these several times so it it very secure.   Find the triangle pieces you just made and loop the nylon edge into the other side of the slider.  Pin the triangle onto the back of your bag, about 2.5 inches from the bottom.  Pin top of hockey sticks to top of bag about 1.5-2 inches apart.  Baste the triangles and the tops of your hockey sticks onto the bag.

With the zipper nearest to the front of the bag, pin the gusset to the bag.  Sew right sides together.  Very slowly top stitch the seam, the curvy parts may require excessive amounts of patience.

With right sides together, pin and sew the back part of your bag onto the gusset.  It's starting to look like a bag now!

Iron on interfacing to bottom piece.  With right sides together, align the edges of the bottom with the edges of the bag.  As you pin, mark a half inch in on each corner.  Sew the bag, but only sew to the half inch mark, once you get to the mark, put your needle down, lift the presser foot and finangle your material to turn into the next side of the piece.  Bad things happen if you just sew off the side, trust me.  

That's it for the outside.  Now for the liner.  Sew it together exactly the same as outside bag, except you don't have to top stitch (yeah!) or put in another zipper.  Once fully sewn together, place it in the bag.  I like to sew the seam of from the bottom of the outside to the seam of the bottom of the liner, just so it stays put.

If putting in a clip to clip things to, I would also suggest sewing that part of the liner seam to its coordinating spot on the outside seam. Carefully line up your liner gusset with your outside gusset.  Fold over the edge of the liner gusset and whip stitch about a half inch from the zipper teeth.

And that's it!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014 10:08:28 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to bring tutorial info to first post! :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009 11:25:22 AM »

What a beautiful backpack! It looks perfect for a music-loving girl. And so much better than the generic ones I had when in school. Great job!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 04:53:08 PM by kittykill - Reason: Image Quoted » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
silver mom
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 11:45:56 AM »

your bag is beautiful and your daughter will so proud to show it, but I think that one of the music symbol is upside down or it is OK? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinashaw
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 11:47:44 AM »

Hello!  I love the backpack!! The fabric is perfect, i'm sure she'll love it!!!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatively_clumsy
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009 11:55:30 AM »

Great job!  Last night I was looking for backpack/bookbag patterns on the net and really didn't come up with much.  I was pretty much set on giving up, but after seeing yours, I am inspired again!  It came out perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
landofoz
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009 12:38:51 PM »

your bag is beautiful and your daughter will so proud to show it, but I think that one of the music symbol is upside down or it is OK? Wink

The upside down treble clef is supposed to make a heart with the f-line bass.  So it is "supposed" to work that way.   Wink  I think it would have looked better embroidered but I stuck with a stencil 'cause I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Great job!  Last night I was looking for backpack/bookbag patterns on the net and really didn't come up with much.  I was pretty much set on giving up, but after seeing yours, I am inspired again!  It came out perfect!

If you need measurements or a tute, let me know.  There really isn't much out there when it comes to specifics.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 12:42:53 PM by landofoz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
silver mom
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009 01:15:12 PM »

Thanks!
OK. now I see the HEART for the music!  Cheesy Good Idea!!!!!! Grin I love the bag!!! and I'm waiting for the measurements or a tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weasleyluver

check out my site =) http://cosplaycadets.web.offi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009 03:24:58 PM »

i agree about the lack of an actual backpack tute!! its not cool, why would you need like 20 different kinds of drawstring backpacks but not one collage style bag? RLY?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockDragon
Slayer of Dragons with Rocking Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009 06:46:06 PM »

Ahhh mom-made music themed backpack, she's going to be the coolest, for real! Cheesy  I wish I could have found a music themed backpack that nice Smiley  And I love the design on the front, I have a bumper sticker with that same one on it.  If you're willing to post the tute, I would love to see it as well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

njfish
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009 07:52:27 PM »

Would love a tute!!!  This is very cool!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Anime Faces
How to Choose Inks
How to Write Neatly in Calligraphy
How to Design Anime Hair for Boys
How to Sketch an Eye from the Side
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...