A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Made with blood, sweat, tears... and diapers! (pic heavy)  (Read 3256 times)
Tags for this thread: diaper_cake  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saxonsweetie
Can't talk... craftsturbating...

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2009 02:53:38 PM »

Well, mostly just diapers and ribbons  Wink

Here is the final project:

I had some WIP pics, but thanks to my little helpers, pictured here:

All my WIP pics got deleted when my camera got thrown on the floor. Fortunately, the camera recovered.

A closer look at the topper:

The colors are truer in this pic.

Tip: try not to have kids in your house or a raging migrane while you are making your very first one. I was all excited about this, went and bought my coordinating ribbon and all that jazz, then when I got home and opened the diapers, I discovered that every other one was plain and the others hade green and orange stripes. Great. Orange doesn't go with the stuff I bought AT ALL and now this dumb thing has reached a whole new layer of crazy because I have to pay attention to the diaper pattern. Meanwhile, the kids are arguing over who has the most Magic the Gathering cards (yup, the kiddos are geeks) and my cat pulls the piping hot hot glue gun onto my foot (that reminds me, I need to go unplug it!).

Also, a lot of the tutorials I read suggest using rubber bands to hold the whole mess together until you get the ribbon on. I would reccommed using yarn or string. That way, you can slide the diapers around if you need to adjust them and you don't have to fight with the rubber band.

I am going to go put this thing in my truck so no one can knock it over or bother it. On the plus side, if I have to make another one, it shouldn't be as tough!

Edit:
Just one more pic to show the colors a little better:

C&C always welcome!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 02:55:27 PM by saxonsweetie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

$4.95 Flat Rate Box Swap-I'm stuffing my boxes!

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
Threaderella

Mixer of medias

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 07:32:33 PM »

You just gave me a great idea for my best friends baby shower!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person.
~~~
http://www.myspace.com/simply_ran
http://raspberrycolored.deviantart.com/
saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 02:19:58 PM »

Glad I could help! The girl who got this today almost cried when she saw it. She had never seen a diaper cake before, which I guess is a good thing, because I thought it was kind of plain, especially compared to some of the ones I have seen online! She loved it though, and the colors match her nursery, so she said she isn't ever going to take it down. It was a huge hit at the shower, so I am really pleased.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

Cat Lovers Swap- Please sign up! It will be tons of fun! Sign ups until Nov 20th. Send outs Jan 15th!!!!!
erinyay
Kind of cool girl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009 07:25:46 PM »

Lovely, lovely, lovely! From afar, it really looks like a nomilicious cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my cooky, crafty blog: Home Is Where All Your Stuff Is
rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009 05:08:49 PM »

I like this diaper cake!  Much easier than wrapping all the diapers and tying them with the rubber bands!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009 06:30:45 PM »

I like this diaper cake!  Much easier than wrapping all the diapers and tying them with the rubber bands!  Smiley

You would think it's easier, but it is only slightly less time consuming. About the fourteenth time all the diapers sprang apart and went flying all over my kitchen, I was ready to rip my hair out!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009 09:12:31 PM »

Oh, how pretty.  I've not seen this layout for the diapers before.  Approximately how many diapers did you use for this cake?  I may have to do this for my friend's shower this Friday.  Thanks for the reminder of something not everyone else will do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saxonsweetie

A Heathen Honey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009 12:14:27 PM »

I used one box of Huggies Supreme (or Snugglers, or whatever they are calling them now) size 2. There are 82 diapers in that cake. To be fair, there are 80 diapers in the cake and two are rolled up and holding up that little blanket thing on top. The bottom two layers are hollow, but they held up really well. No caving in or anything. Most of the tutorials I have seen call for 96 diapers, but the girl I made this for was very specific about what kind of diapers she wanted, and they don't have a box with 96 of that brand, so I went for the 82. It's a 3-2-1 ratio, which I just figured out by making little piles and saying "3 for you, 2 for you, 1 for you." Never did very well in math....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fall Scarf Swap-Done!

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009 06:25:16 PM »

I used one box of Huggies Supreme (or Snugglers, or whatever they are calling them now) size 2. There are 82 diapers in that cake. To be fair, there are 80 diapers in the cake and two are rolled up and holding up that little blanket thing on top. The bottom two layers are hollow, but they held up really well. No caving in or anything. Most of the tutorials I have seen call for 96 diapers, but the girl I made this for was very specific about what kind of diapers she wanted, and they don't have a box with 96 of that brand, so I went for the 82. It's a 3-2-1 ratio, which I just figured out by making little piles and saying "3 for you, 2 for you, 1 for you." Never did very well in math....
Oh, thanks a bunch for the help.  I've not heard of the 3-2-1 ratio before but I shall try that.  I'll try your method, 3 for you, 2 for you and 1 for you.  Math wasn't my strong point either.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A2JC4life
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010 09:52:11 PM »

Beautiful!

When you all make these cakes, does something hold the layers together, up the middle?  Or do you just make three (or however many) separate layers, and then set them on top of each other  when you're ready to display it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 2
How to Make a Clay Taco Fish - Part 1
The Phoenix and Immortal Symbols in Chinese Antique Furniture
How to Make a Paper Mache Dragon Trophy
How to make a Double Wall Vessel - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Bean Burgers
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...