A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Swap Round 14, Shrine N Stuff! finished!  (Read 16403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2009 05:26:41 AM »

Missmuffcake, I'm so glad to hear Mar is doing well!  And even though it is going to cost you, that you're getting all that evil poison out!  I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!!!!

Ellemir, I hope your hands heal soon!  I have an undiagnosable form of arthritis in my hands, wrists, shoulders, knees and ankles, so I feel for you.  (Undiagnosed because some doctors, without running any tests, have told me it's all in my head and to just go home and take some tylenol.  Others have run a few of the major tests, got conflicting results, and decided not to bother looking because "the situation is confusing".  Other's say it's because I'm overweight, but they said the same thing when I was underweight.)  This has been going on since I was 17.  It's especially hard because I went into a career that requires me to use my hands soooo heavily, and my favorite thing to do is craft.  I know how hard it is when you truly *WANT* to be doing something, but you are prevented by your own body. 
My parents kept trying to get me to go into something else, but it would have broken my heart, and I refused to be limited in my choices by anything so pesky and annoying.  (I even once had a teacher tell me that I'd never be useful, so to just give up and "go into something like Theatre History, you know, where you don't have to do anything".  Charming, no?)
Thankfully, my glorious new job as costume shop manager is such that as the boss, I can now assign others to do things like sew 50 buttons on by hand and can give myself tasks appropriate to how I feel that day.  Between reducing the stress in my life by working academic theatre instead of in a major city/regional theatre, at a job where on a very rare "bad week" I work 45-50 hours (instead of a "bad week" of 120 hours like I worked last summer), having time to eat well, and getting more sleep, I've been able to reduce my flare ups, and can usually craft a bit every night, as long as I change up what I'm doing, so I don't do any single task too long.  TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
ellemir
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2009 05:57:56 AM »

Ellemir, I hope your hands heal soon!  I have an undiagnosable form of arthritis in my hands, wrists, shoulders, knees and ankles, so I feel for you.  (Undiagnosed because some doctors, without running any tests, have told me it's all in my head and to just go home and take some tylenol.  Others have run a few of the major tests, got conflicting results, and decided not to bother looking because "the situation is confusing".  Other's say it's because I'm overweight, but they said the same thing when I was underweight.)  This has been going on since I was 17.  It's especially hard because I went into a career that requires me to use my hands soooo heavily, and my favorite thing to do is craft.  I know how hard it is when you truly *WANT* to be doing something, but you are prevented by your own body.  

Jennie, It sounds like you and I are in a really similar place. I have had problems with hands, back, legs etc since I was 15. When I was 17 some crazy Christians saw my hands couldn't move, it happens at times, and decided I was demon possessed. Bone scans show inflammation, I get sent for bloodtests for rheumotoid arthritis at least once a year that always come up negative.
A few years back they diagnosed me with carpal tunnel, I was days away from the operation, on both hands at once which would have been fun!(not) when they decided they got it wrong, and sent me away with a scrip for Vitamin B as symptoms might be a deficiency.
And then I had a knee arthroscopy for an injury where my knee gave way for no apparent reason, though I was roller blading at time.
The Doc I saw then, said as you know you have arthritis,( and I said Huh!), take up golf instead of other sports (as if) and behave carefully if you dont want a knee replacement in next ten years.
So no official diagnosis, but my GP no longer quibbles about prescribing strong painkillers, at least.
I'm trained as a Physics teacher but have been unable to work for 5 years due to my health and recieve the UK equivalent of Disability. I have to pace myself when working with my hands but it's sooo difficult when the creative juices are flowing.

And YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF TOO! Grin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009 05:59:51 AM by ellemir » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: September 09, 2009 09:00:46 PM »

So, after writing that message to you this morning, I went to work.  I have two desks in my office, set up like an "L".  The tiny computer desk at one end, and a huge 1950's steel battleship of a desk at the other.  While facing my computer desk, I half turned to talk to someone on the other side of the room, and gestured with my right hand.  I ended up slamming my hand into the big steel desk, smashing my bottom knuckles on one edge, while slamming my upper knuckles into the other edge. The whole thing swelled up, and is making cracking sounds now, and I can't straighten out all my fingers (something that frequently happens during flare ups).  Worst part, today was my paperwork day, and I spent all day typing!  I kept alternating between typing one handed, with the other covered in ice, and then typing with both hands, and stiff little cracking fingers.   Cry                                                   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ellemir
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2009 09:13:52 AM »

Oh, Jennie, that sounds painful. I'm sending lot of good wishes and healing thoughts in your direction. I hope you are feeling better today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2009 04:43:38 AM »

progress update -

I have the shrine finished other than niggling with details as I just do not think it is "full enough"

I have some of the things for the box ready, and have to sort a couple other things - but mostly know what is going in there at least...

chibi also knows what is going in her box, but she has been so sick all week she hasn't done anything but be grumpy - and she didn't get photos taken of her box from Radmom yet but I am going to make her get that done or do it for her myself today!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2009 06:56:20 AM »

Thanks ellemir.  I am feeling better now.  I just have rather bruised up knuckles so my hand is a bit stiff, but not as sore.  I was able to craft all day yesterday, and that was nice. 

As for my shrine, I added a bunch of stuff to it yesterday, and feel it's coming along well.  It's just missing a little... a tiny... a certain.... *something*.  A certain je ne sais quoi if you will...  Not sure what it is yet.  I think I'll go have a cup of tea, curl up with a book for an hour, and then take a second look once the caffeine has kicked in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2009 03:17:27 PM »

crap I just realized that sendouts are on Thursday!!  for some strange reason I thought there was still 2 weeks to go....so I spent all weekend making pickles and finishing up house maintanence (the endless painting of trim and deck which I'm about to get back to right away)  I had better get shrining and finish up phnxreign's shrine pronto!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
RondaS

« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2009 04:41:27 PM »

LOL! I was just about to post a note that sendouts are Thursday, you beat me to it!

anyone that does not think they will make the send out deadline send me a PM as soon as possible!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
FREYA369
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2009 05:59:26 PM »

Hi,
Just checking in.  Got my package today from Ronda.  I really love everything, especially the shrine.  I'll be posting pics tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled  Shocked
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RondaS

« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2009 04:54:48 PM »

anyone want to do a Halloween Shrine swap? not WWP specific, just a Halloween shrine? Or spooky Day of the Dead type shrine for those international participants that don't do Halloween?

I got these great _________ and they would be so COOL on a Halloween shrine!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Post Production: Editing, Music and Visual Effects
How to Make Zombie Makeup
Director Mike Newell on How to Work With Actors
EXPOzed #33 - HD Expo 2008 - MACCAM Lighting
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...