A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP Swap Round 14, Shrine N Stuff! finished!  (Read 17388 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009 12:45:55 PM »

ah indeed it is, here ya go Ronda
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310873.msg3573052;topicseen#msg3573052

mind you the one I got in the mail today is equally gorgeous. Just need to find if I packed my camera
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Nobody could do that much découpage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009 12:59:28 PM »

That's one of the ones I wisted!! I'm supposed to be doing dishes, but I hate it, so everytime I finish a sink full I spend a little time on craftster as a reward! I'm addicted!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009 01:19:43 AM »

thank you so much for letting me post that photo on the front page first thread!

I think the swaps are more interesting to potential swappers if there is a pic for the eye to be drawn to and I love that is something we can do now! and I remembered this shrine from that personal swap too - I think you posted a link to it on the WWP 12 thread or something...

... I sometimes have swaps stacked up waiting for me to start them, LOL! ...
*cough*likethisone*cough* Grin

yeah - this was a close fit, LOL!  Wink  still playing catch up on round 13, but will have an opening to start round 15 without having to get feedback for this one as I should have the choc swap done in time for that to get going - so not feeling so much time pressure on this round

do we need to give the sign ups and send outs a bit more time for this round?

oh - and hey - chibi neko came and asked when the next swap would be, so she might sign up for this if she can drag herself away from her new boyfriend long enough - though he might actually find it fun to make something like this  Wink  I like her new boyfriend, they are well suited, but she is consumed with him right now beings as love is new and all, LOL!  Grin

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
RondaS

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009 01:58:18 AM »

I have been trying to figure out what sort of frame to use for a shrine - and how big it out to be without getting too unmanageably huge - what suggestions do you veteran shrine makers have for me?

I know I have seen a lot of things that look like they are cigar box shape or size but also some that are much smaller and some that look much larger...

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009 06:02:11 AM »

well I have made shrines from all sizes, you can use an altoid tin, i sent Danni a little one in a previous swap,
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304973.msg3488487#msg3488487

this shrine, was from cardboard glued together and then papiermached all over the top. and you can get an idea of the size from the barbie doll
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292198.msg3374414#msg3374414

You can use a cigar box, or a matchbox. So really the size is up to you, for this swap I used foam core board and glued it into a shrine shape. The Hestia shrine that Danni made me was from a ready made shadow box. so really its kinda up to you, what size you prefer to work with.

check out this gallery from the recent mexican kitsch swap, there are lots of fabulously colourful shrines in there too.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309649.0

If you start with one image or figure that you want to make the shrine around, then you possibily will need to make the shrine from card, or foam board to fit the image, otherwise start with the size of shrine...in the same way that you used 4X4 for pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009 06:24:30 AM »

Edel's advice is perfect. It really depends on what you're working on, what you have on hand, where your partner is going to put it and how big they want it.

I always ask my partner how big they want their shrine and sometimes (if I'm not using a shadowbox frame) I ask if they're hanging it. With limited space altoid tins, small wooden boxes and medium sized match boxes are all good ideas for size. Other things I've seen work in general are cardboard shoe box lids, tin sardine cans (obviously washed very well!), even sauce lids if someone wants a very small shrine. These ones are fun to put magnets on to hang on the fridge.

I like to work with the pre-made wood bases because I like the rustic look they have. I'd also like to try my hand at using tins, cardboard, foam board/etc. I really admire Edel's ability to create boxes from scratch. I seem to have no aptitude for it. I blame it on my lack of engineering know how...  Roll Eyes

And obviously, if you want a 12"x12" shrine and your partner only has space for something that's 3"x4" it would be best to work out a compromise so one partner doesn't feel slighted. With this group I'm sure it won't happen, but it always bears repeating. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009 10:22:00 AM »

OK, I'm going to step out of my crafty comfort zone and join in this swap ... the non-artsy side of me is hesitant but I think I'm ready to give it a try.  You ladies are so artistic ....  Grin.  Now, if I could just figure out how to crochet a shrine  Wink

I'll send in my questionaire later tonight when I get some crafty organizing done.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009 02:10:48 PM »

Edel beat me to the gallery! Lol. Cheesy

Glad that you're back and willing to give this a try phnx! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Nobody could do that much découpage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009 06:08:43 PM »

I'm probably going to use a altoid tin. BUt I'm really not sure yet. I have soo many differnt things I could use for a shrine (cigarboxes, batchboxes, frames, etc), so I Think I'll just wait until i find out what I'm going to make the shrine for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009 10:34:17 AM »

ok - my brain is trying to wrap around this whole thing being any size at all - a little bitty one on my fridge sounds like fun actually (sort of hiding in plain sight kind of a thing) but I don't think I can work that small, LOL! my fumbled fingers self would likely go bonkers with trying to make something that little bitty!

thanks for all the information and the links!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DruaShield DSLR Sling bag Backpack - Product Review
How to Make a Camera Monopod Walking Stick
Digital Camera Tips: Stage Lighting Setup
Digital Camera Tips: Lens Cleaning
Digital Camera Tips: Why Not Auto White Balance
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...