A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good sewing machine for beginners wishing to do a LOT!  (Read 5544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soorawn
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009 09:01:51 AM »

what Necchi model is it?  That brand has loads of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009 09:48:09 AM »

Sears Holdings owns K-Mart now, so you will get the Sears products in K-Mart.

I looked on the K-Mart site and didn't see it.  If I remember right generally these sales are good.  It's just a one day sale promo they do at both stores on occassion.  It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the product, it's a sale to get you to come into the store. 

If anything you can go to the store and check it out.  As long as you keep your reciept if you don't liek the machine you can always return it. 

(can you tell I live in a 'Sears family' lol) Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009 10:29:14 AM »

Seen this add from Kmart yesterday saying that i can get a sewing machine for 200$ that is worth over 600$ but i can only get it on one day...what im wondering is..is it worth it?

the type of machine is called Necchi, it is apparently a sewing serge machine? so im guessing its both a serger and a sewing machien....anyone heard of it...tried it....or is it worth it?

OK, this would be one of those truckload sales in the parking lot, right??

Although these are often held in a Kmart parking lot or at a local Holiday Inn, neither Kmart not the hotel's are affiliated with the folks selling these. You are NOT buying this machine from Kmart or Sears holding.

The machines sold at these do NOT offer a good value. Their full price worth is grossly over exaggerated.  You are more likely getting a $150 machine for $200.  They include a piece of crap attachment that is suppose to "serge" the seams.  These retail for about $20-$30, and don't work at all like a real serger.

RUN the other way
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009 01:10:59 PM »

Ahh I had never heard of these Jenny.  Usually a parking lot sale for Sears or K-Mart is generally thier scratch&dent sales.  I'll have to pick at my hubby's brains about these other 'sales'  because I was under the impression that the company doesn't allow external use of thier lots for anything else but thier own business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009 05:31:20 PM »

Neither Sears nor Kmart stock or sell Necchi brand machines, so there is no way it could be a legitt scratch & dent sale of their products.

http://www.timduffy.com/scams/school/necchi/school_model.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009 02:15:38 AM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009 07:36:48 PM »

Yeah the Necci thru me......I didn't even know they still made that brand anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009 02:48:47 AM »

This fly-by-night sale /scam is as old as the hills.  Here are some samples of what the ads look like:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009 07:07:07 AM »

I asked my hubby last night about the lot sales and he said that Sears Holdings does not condone them but that shady store managers will sometimes allow the use of thier parking lots for these sales.   Roll Eyes

I have never seen an ad like that, but I usually ignore things like that when I see them, even for furniture and cars lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009 02:08:06 PM »

speaking as someone who is doing exactly what you want to do, i would say a singer is great, i have a singer serger and a singer 5050, i also have a computerized euro-pro, it's fancy with a zillion stitches and everything, when i do something non decorative, i still use my singer... i also own a necchi, and they are as great as those ads say, however you wont get what they say from a parking lot sale, my advice is ebay or hsn if you can wait until it's delivered... otherwise go to WALMART lol i got my 2 singers for less than 200 each at walmart (in addition to the brand warranty you can take it back, check your stores return policy, but i believe it's 60-90 days with receipt, and i took one back 87 days after i bought it cuz *I* screwed up and they took it and let me get another one from stock), my euro-pro from hsn and my necchi was inherited (it's actually my best machine, but i get sad when i use it because it makes me miss my grandma) necchi's are heavy duty, made to last and all metal, including the outer shell you CAN get a good necchi, singer or any brand from ebay, and hsn has payment plans on all their machines (meaning you can pay the price of the machine over several months and still have it delivered immediately) plus a 30 day guarantee on ANY purchase in addition to the warranty... if you need to talk more you can pm me, i've done ALL the homework you need and i'm more than willing to share info, as well as knowing that there are probably way more shops near you who do deal with refurbished machines, lots of sears stores fix machines so they may be able to tell you where you can find one
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009 02:16:28 AM by wtpdesigns » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
gamergirL337
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009 02:54:51 PM »

Alright i was at Swap Days today (basically a GIANT outdoor yard sale/flea market) and found a Singer 6038C for 20$...its in pretty good condition, it works all i need is a bobbin, which is basically nothing....The problem is that I can't find a manual, or anything like that to tell me how to use this...and because i have never used a sewing machine before (except at school but it was an expensive touch screen thing) so i have no idea how to use this, does any one have experience with this machine, or know where i can find a manual? ive looked online and so far nada...google and yahoo have a bunch of empty links...so???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Multiple Versions Of Your Photo in Camera Raw
How to Draw Jumpy Ghost Face
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
How to Draw Kim Kardashian
The Perfect Combo: Word Clouds and Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...