A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good sewing machine for beginners wishing to do a LOT!  (Read 5438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gamergirL337
« on: August 05, 2009 11:34:45 AM »

I am just starting out in the Crafting business and I have been wanting to get a really good sewing machine to do everything from Corsets to dresses and Quilts and purses. I don't want to spend a small fortune on a big bulky machine, but I do want something that is relatively easy to use, something that is going to last a really long time, and something that isn't really bulky, as i do not have enough room for it.

The only time i have ever used a sewing machine was in school for a Home Ec class but the ones we used were a couple of grand a piece, they were all touch screen and just had a wow factor that i can't afford, lol...

Websites are one of my only main option (i am also in the US) and i live in a relatively small area where the only "crafting" place we have is Wal-mart.

I am welcome to any opinions!

It will be about a month or so before i will be buying one as well, when i get my school check...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 01:10:04 PM »

Go to your local sewing and repair shop.  They will have refurbished machines at a decent price. 

OR

research research research and then keep and eye out for certain ones at garage sales, Goodwill/Salvation Army, craigslist...etc...(but test drive them before purchase)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamergirL337
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009 03:08:26 PM »

yeah...we don't have a local sewing machine repair shop...i actually did look that part up...the nearest shop is about 2 1/2 hours away in West Virginia (im in Ohio) and even though its 2 states away, their shop is the Nearest! sad right? lol

And i have been researching but its really hard to find something that would be perfect for a beginner, thats why i wanted to see what everyone had to say...

its like impossible to find anything near me...which is what sucks more then anything..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009 03:44:09 PM »

So, you are searching for the "perfect" sewing machine, right?? That's like searching for the "perfect" shoes.  You know, a pair of shoes that look great with your dressiest cocktail dress, yet are just right for jogging six miles, waterproof, and will keep your feet dry and warm in the snow.  Oh yeah, they need to also not be expensive,  get good traction on ice and designed so that they won't fill up with sand at the beach.  All these traits will make them the perfect pair of shoes .. yeah, the perfect, do everything, foot wear..... Grin

Obviously, I'm using humor and sarcasm to illustrate a point.  Like shoes, various sewing machines are designed differently and as such, have different strengths and weaknesses.  There is no, one, perfect, do everything great sewing machine and trying to find one will lead to analysis paralysis, disappointment and frustration at this point in the game.

As a beginner, you haven't had enough time "in front of the needle" to really get a feel for what features will suit your taste and sewing style best.  So, I suggest that you get a sewing machine that is "good enough" rather than perfect for now.  Once you get a little bit of sewing experience, you will be armed with a better feel for what strikes YOUR fancy, and it will be much easier to identify the best machine for YOU.  Like shoes and ice cream flavors, sewing machine preferences are very subjective.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009 04:00:59 PM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009 03:50:00 PM »

Personally I like my Singers, I have 2.  My newer one, works fine, it's a tad fussy on the tension, but it gets the job done.  Has a bunch of stitches I never use but my mother thought were necessary for me to have in a machine, to be honest I use straight, zigzag and my auto-button holer the most, I'v used the stretch stitch twice in the 7 years I've owned it.  My 1920 Model 66 keeps tension like a dream and sews smooth and has but one stitch, straight, and no reverse.  I need to replace the motor or hand crank it, it's waiting til payday on the 15th for that decision lol.  But other than that it sews better than my new model.  

I guess just think about what you plan on doing with it, types of sewing etc and then go from there.  Like I said you can find some great older machines for a good price, I had to walk away from one at a garage sale last Saturday price tag $15, and it was in pristine condition, you could tell the woman who owned it cherished it, but if I brought it home my hubby would have given me 'that' look.   Roll Eyes  They are out there....just take along a test run kit...spool of thread and fabric, ask to plug it in and test run it before purchase.  

ETA: Sew-classic and shoes hehehee....great analogy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 03:52:39 PM by Cheyenneswthrt07 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

iowntoomanyshoes
Major fabric hoarder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009 09:01:37 PM »

Well first of all, congrats on starting a sewing buisness! I am almost done with getting my "lot" done for Etsy  Grin And it is all thanks to my recent sewing machine purchase.

A little background...I have had 2...yes 2 BRAND SPANKING NEW Brothers...My first one was the CE3000 and then a CS770 and they both decided to take a crap on me. Not literally, but you get my drift. They both had the same problem....I could never get the tension right, they would lock up and then the needle would break. Trust me, the bobbin was wound wonderful, I didn't pull the fabric, the machine was threaded right, I was using the right thread ( not the cheap stuff), and I was using the right needle. Really, I should put up my needle grave yard (I saved all 30 of them! NOT KIDDING). My friend had a similar model to mine and hers did the same thing! AAHHHH!!!  Cry It would lock up, the needle would break on the presser foot. How annoying! I thought for sure it was a user error, but I was on the phone with my mother and MIL trying to figure it out but each time I would sew it would do this. Sorry for the rant, but you have to understand that frustration. I get all fired up because I feel like I spent more time fighting the machine then sewing...

Anyways, DH bought me a Singer 7470 and it has been love for the past two weeks. It does basic sewing and has room for me to explore. Yes it was a little on the expensive side, but it has been a blessing. I have sewed with the same needle for 2 weeks and various projects and it is doing great!! You want a machine that will grow with your skills, not one you will outgrow fast.

I also second looking on Craigs list. I bought a Serger for $75 brand new! Good luck and sorry for my rant!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew like you have never sewn before!!!!!
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009 04:04:12 PM »

Buying Guide- Choosing a Sewing machine- New, Used or Vintage?

ETA:
Before buying a machine at a thrift sotre, garage sale, etc.. be CERTAIN to test ALL the functions, (forward, reverse, various stitches, buttonhole, stitch length, bobbin winding, etc..).

If you purchase a serviced machine from a dealer or other reliable source, be sure to inquire about the return policy and/or guarantee.  Nothing will zap the desire to sew from a begineer faster than a malfunctioning  machine.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009 04:08:33 PM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
gamergirL337
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009 08:32:41 PM »

Ok i have narrowed my search down to a Brother and Singers as they seem to be the best for beginners...(from what i have read and researched that is)

so i have narrowed it down to these:

Brother CS6000i

Brother ES2000

Brother XL-3500

and these

Singer 8763

Singer 7442

anybody have any opinions of those machines? or have one i should replace on that list, anything really is helpful!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009 08:39:28 PM by gamergirL337 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009 04:34:41 AM »

The Brother CS6000i and ES2000 are not full sized machines.  They only weigh about 11 pounds, - quite compact and light weight.  read the specs on carefully.

This doesn't make them  highly versatile machines, but it does make them good "take-along" machines.  The down side to their lightness and small size (yes, there is a trade off) is that they vibrate & bounce around at high speed.  Also, the harp space (area to the right of the needle) is small.  Bulky or larger items projects will be more difficult to sew. You just won't have the room at times to get at things.

My mother had one of these Brother machines (they are quite similar), and disliked how it handled thicker fabric, and she felt that it was highly "value engineered" compared to some other models.  It wasn't awefull, but she switch to another machine at her first opportunity.

All of the machines on your list aren't likely to hold up that well under heavy or constant usage. They just aren't meant or built for that.   Since you say that this is for a business, I assume that you will be sewing several hours per day.  These machines are really intended for someone that sews just a few hours a week at most.

When it comes to a machine for a cottage industry type application such as yours, in order to get durability in a NEW machine, you will either have to get an inudstrial machine, or something like the Janome 1600P, Brother PQ-1500s, etc...

Industrial, Commercial Grade, Professional, Industrial Strength & More- Sewing Machine Buying Guide

Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009 05:25:24 AM by Sew-Classic - Reason: eta » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
gamergirL337
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009 04:31:19 PM »

Thanks for your advice sew-classic!

And also, i can't really afford a 700 -1000$ machine...and this first machine i am getting i want to be good enough so that i can sew as often as i want, not necessarily every day, but a couple of times a week, and something that is good enough to do corsets and is simple enough to use to make pillows. Im looking for something in the range of 100$ - 300$

just something that is easy to use for beginners, yet versatile enough so you can make almost anything with, if that makes sense...I did like the pointers in your articles they make a lot of sense...

so what do think i should look for, when it comes to what im looking for in a sewing machine, and like i said something in the range of 100$ - 300$...

also i don't have ANY sewing machine shops ANYWHERE near me, the nearest one is about 2.5 hours away! we have a wal-mart, and the nearest sears is about 1.5 hours away...so either something that i can buy online, or if its something that i can find at a place like sears, then i could call ahead and see if they have it and go up and buy it...i just don't want to go on a pointless mission when i don't know what would be best for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 1/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 2/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 3/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 4/5
How to Make a Cool Custom Myspace Layout in Photoshop Cs4 Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...