A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: diaper bag for MOM to carry!  (Read 5463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katshe
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009 01:31:04 PM »

It looks awesome! What pattern did you use?
I would also like to know. I think I would like to make this a purse. Love your fabric choice, it is a beautiful bag  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplify
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009 01:46:15 PM »

Gorgeous.  Fun,  Stylish.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009 02:31:27 PM »

Here's a link to the book on Amy Butler's website.

http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/books_detail.php#little

Little Stitches for Little One's

The fabric is Alexander Henry (?) from Joann's...both of them I believe.

Thanks again all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MandaRenee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009 07:52:15 PM »

It's very nice.  I love that you put all the pockets on the inside instead of the outside.  It really keeps a sleek look that way.  And all those pockets will really come in handy to keep you organized and keep your sanity.  It opens up really widely too which is great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a swap!

http://rusticremnants.blogspot.com/
pinklrt
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009 08:01:47 PM »

I love your fabric choices, perfect for a girly diaper bag that is plenty cute enough for mom too. Smiley

I don't think I ever posted it on Craftster, but I made the same bag for myself not too long ago. I don't think I could use the full-size version as a diaper bag - it is HUGE. I use mine as our YMCA bag and it is great for toting swimsuits, towels, etc. for the whole family. You'll definitely want the key hook on that bag. Smiley I also find that my huge bags are better organized if I keep small items in smaller zippered pouches.

Did shrinking the bag by 20% seem to make it more manageable size-wise? I like the style a lot, but it is a little much for everyday use at full-size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009 09:03:11 PM »

I also find that my huge bags are better organized if I keep small items in smaller zippered pouches.

Did shrinking the bag by 20% seem to make it more manageable size-wise? I like the style a lot, but it is a little much for everyday use at full-size.

pinklrt--Well, I haven't actually used the bag yet, and I haven't made the bag in it's full size that the pattern called for, so I can't tell you what I think from the stand point of actually using it...but, it does seem more managable, and less awkward than I think it would be if it was 3-4'' bigger all the way around.  The straps still fit nicely over your shoulder but it fits snugly under my arm, which is where I like it to be.  I don't like things bouncing around on my hip and they tend to fall off my shoulder if I don't have it grasped under my elbow!!!  I remember looking at a picture of the completed bag and thought, "Sheesh! That's huge!!! Do I really want to carry something that big around wherever I go with the new baby?"  So, when I saw a post where the girl downsized the bag I loved, I had to try it myself. 

Oh side note...I've been thinking about making some other bags like you said... zippered bags for smaller things??  First I wanna find some of that iron on vinyl so I can waterproof the fabrics.  I'm gonna make a wet bag and a small/tiny bag for 1-2 binkies.  Also a wallet...any other thoughts???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinklrt
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009 10:59:19 AM »

I use PUL for the lining when I make wet bags. We cloth diaper, so they work well for toting around dirty diapers and are also good for swimsuits. It's kind of difficult to find except for online and isn't particularly cheap at about $7-$9 a yard. Even my purchased wet bags aren't 100% waterproof - sometimes I will get a small amount of wicking at the seams if I put something that is truly soaking wet in the bag. I don't know that I would use PUL for a binky pouch, I'm sort of paranoid about the binky touching that kind of fabric since baby puts it in his/her mouth. Maybe some sort of food-safe nylon would work better if you were worried about the binky picking up fuzz. I've made a small binky bag that doesn't have any sort of waterproof lining and other than a little lint, the binkies don't get too gross. Definitely keeps them cleaner than if I just throw them in the bottom of the bag.

I use my diaper/wipe clutch all the time. It holds a travel size container of wipes and a few diapers. Keeps the diapers from getting crushed and it is easy to move it from bag to bag. It's also easy to just grab the diaper/wipe clutch for a diaper change than bring the whole diaper bag sometimes. The other main pouch I keep in my bag is a pouch for just MY stuff. If I go somewhere without my kids, it's easy to just grab my stuff and throw it in a "regular" bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cboyd
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009 03:46:36 PM »

I got some iron on vinyl at fabric.com.  I love it, very easy to use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarchan
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009 04:29:31 PM »

Wow! Great job! I love how you matched up the fabric for the tab. Nice little addition. It looks very professional. This is a bag you can use forever. Great job! Thank you for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009 08:13:50 PM »

pinklrt

I use PUL for the lining when I make wet bags

Where do you order your PUL from online?  And is there any regular store such as Joann's that sells this stuff?  I've heard of it and have yet to see it anywhere.  I've been comtemplating the cloth diaper route with this baby and wanna do some more research on it.  Any good diaper tutes you really like?? 

Haven't tried the iron on vinyl yet, but I did purchase some and hope to try it out tomorrow.  I was working on a different style diaper bag to sell today...I just got so disgusted with it I had to stop sewing for the evening!!!  Angry  So, have to finish that up tomorrow...and then hopefully on to trying out the iron on vinyl.  We'll see!  I do need a wet bag though!  CAuse no matter how you diaper your baby, there's always wet things to be carried around in a diaper bag!

Thanks for the sweet compliments and help all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Trench Coat Trend for Fall 2012
Who Wore It Best: Pink Or Kim Kardashian?
Naomi Watts Wears An Unusual Little Black Dress
How to Rock the Military Trend for Fall and Winter 2012
Get The Look: How To Wear Harem Pants Like Rihanna And Kim Kardashian
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...