A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: diaper bag for MOM to carry!  (Read 5470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2009 05:47:19 AM »

I prefer diaper bags that are fun, bold, colorful...and NOT babyish!!  I made an AB modern diaper bag a few months back for myself...after I had been told I was having a boy.  While I chose the fabric to go either way, I then met someone who was having a boy and who I really felt needed a diaper bag.  I was planning to make her a different one, but was put on bedrest before I could get to it.  So, I gave her mine as the gift (which her husband said she loved! Whew! I was worried about that one!) and planned on making another for myself once I was allowed off bedrest.  So, without further adew...here it is...

Tab top closure...

whole body...

Inside which is polkadot fabric that matched the outside colors just perfectly!  (that never happens to me!)  So, the pattern called for two bottle pockets on the ends, four diaper whatnot pockets on the sides...and an outside cell phone pocket.  I decided I wanted the cell phone pocket inside so here's my version...up high on the bottom left of the photo.

Up close of the cell phone pocket...haven't tried it out yet cause baby's not here yet, but will let you know if this cell pocket placement works out or not!

Lastly, the key hook I added...which I think will be helpful when I can't find my keys at the bottom of the bag!

I'll have to say, this pattern gets easier the second time around.  Oh, I reduced the pattern size by 20% which makes the bag much more doable!  It is HUGE otherwise!!!  Thanks for looking once again!

If you'd like to view this on my blog here is the link.
http://vibrantdesignsbyjulianne.blogspot.com/2009/08/finally-got-my-diaper-bag-done.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 04:50:40 PM by b2j2fitz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

distracting1
Staving off insanity... one project at a time!

Not to be forgotten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 06:22:53 AM »

Really, really nice! Looks like you got it at one of those fancy baby boutiques. I love the pockets on the inside, it give the outside a less diaper bag look. You did a great job. It's always good to give away the things we feel prompted too. I'm so glad your friend loved the one you gave her!! It's a nice feeling, I think. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well, and you survive bed rest. Good luck with your little one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live creative.

Check it out:
http://www.foxymoxiegirl.etsy.com
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009 06:48:07 AM »

It looks awesome! What pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
gizzybird
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 06:50:06 AM »

I love that this doesn't look like a diaper bag. I've never understood why diaper bags are always made with babyish fabrics since the bag is for the mom to carry, not the baby. Your fabric is so pretty and your tab closure matches up perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elwynceltic
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009 08:09:46 AM »

That is very pretty, she could even use with without the baby, since it doesn't look like it's meant for diapers Smiley I just got myself a Tinkerbell one even though I don't know what I'm having. A couple friends asked me what was I going to do if I had a boy. I just told them the baby's not carrying it so what does it matter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcwilliams
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009 08:22:34 AM »

This is beautiful and I love how the tab matches up perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bellacrafter

chronic lurker - finally a member!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009 10:18:40 AM »

Just looking you'd never know it was a diaper bag! I LOVE this fabric (I once bought some in the red/brown color combination). I hope I have the willpower/energy to whip something like this up when baby-time rolls around. Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we have lingered in the chambers of the sea"
http://www.bellayarns.etsy.com - crochet and knit: summer end bogo sale!
http://www.bellapapers.etsy.com - stationery: new eco-items!
klg_jlg
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009 12:00:06 PM »

I'd love to make one of these for myself..Did you use a pattern?? Or are you planning on making a tutorial??

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always looking for new amazing crafters whose work I can feature on my blog, Going Green with the Grizls. =) www.goinggreenwitht hegrizls.com
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009 12:09:01 PM »

Thanks to everyone!  To answer the pattern question...this is from Amy Butler's book Little Stitches, called the Modern Diaper Bag.  Her patterns are detailed and clear and get easier with each time you make them.  I still have trouble stitching up the handles on this one though!  Smiley  I don't know if this pattern can be found in anything but the book, however I got the book at half.com for about 1/2 the going rate...around 12 bucks I paid, and her patterns cost about that on line. 

That is very pretty, she could even use with without the baby, since it doesn't look like it's meant for diapers  I just got myself a Tinkerbell one even though I don't know what I'm having. A couple friends asked me what was I going to do if I had a boy. I just told them the baby's not carrying it so what does it matter!
elwynceltic--thanks!  I actually found out two weeks later that I was actually having a girl...not a boy, so I did choose colors more girlish...but I am totally with you!  Carry tinkerbell around if you want to!  Your son will never be the one carrying around the bag. Smiley  

I love that this doesn't look like a diaper bag. I've never understood why diaper bags are always made with babyish fabrics since the bag is for the mom to carry, not the baby. Your fabric is so pretty and your tab closure matches up perfectly!

Gizzybird--I hate it when I see diaper bags in baby fabrics!  Blankets, clothes, toys...all the rest I understand, but NOT diaper bags!  It took me until this third baby to finally realize that "it's my bag and it's gonna look how I want it to."  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

limemade
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009 01:01:00 PM »

I second everyone's comments.  It is really cool.  And I AGREE TOTALLY!  The baby doesn't have to rock the bag - you do!  Plus the idea that your husband is TRULY going to carry the bag is funny.  My hubby either leaves it in the car or stows it in the stroller.  So who cares how girly it is?  It is obviously not his "man purse" if he is carrying it.  He probably also has the baby along!  Anyways, it is awesome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am trying to turn all of my non crafty friends and relatives into crafters. It's like a cult. I want everyone to become addicted to my obsessions!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Literal Rhythm and Reflected Rhythm
How to Create Personal Distance with our Images
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
How to Achieve Balance Amongst your Images
How to Crop to Achieve Image Balance
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...