A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tabitha - a prototype bag design  (Read 1355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solsisters
« on: August 03, 2009 09:36:48 AM »

I am working on this new bag design. I saw something like it by a big name purse company in a very expensive department store last week. I didn't care for the leather version ... or the color ... or mostly, the GIANT price tag, but I loved the shape and the zipper pockets.

So here's the prototype for the new design. It's about 7" wide by 9" high although, I am considering increasing the overall size and making the bag wider at the base. Also, a longer strap.

This front pocket is the cool thing. It's actually a lined zip pouch that is attached to the bag. So you get the zip pocket to secure your train pass or iPod and then you get another pocket behind it where it attaches to the main bag. Plus the top is zipped, so it's a pocket lover's dream in a small size. Lovely teal hand dyed fabric is from my new friend Karen at Ruby Mountain Dye works. This fabric is so vivdly colored and huge pleasure to work with. The deco feathers have been hanging in my stash for many years now and finally get to have a life! I believe the bag I saw had the zip pocket inset into the lining of the main bag rather than being a pouch as I have done, but I think I like this better as you get that bonus pocket.

What do you all think of the design?

More pics and more about the design is on my blog at http://www.solsistershandbags.com/2009/08/working-out-new-bag-design-opinions.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wildwoodgardens
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009 09:20:41 PM »

I love the zip pocket pouch on the front. The button on the front adds a nice touch too.
I came up with something similar without zippers for my sister who is going to Australia. Mine has a flap and a slash pocket in the back and a pen pocket and another small pocket on the inside. It will close with a magnetic snap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009 09:43:56 PM »

I normally go a little nuts with embellishment or color. For some reason I wanted this bag to be a bit more reserved and calmer. And you know sometimes it is nice to have places to stash all kinds of stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 07:21:04 PM »

cute bag it looks a lot  like the lazygirl design she has had out for years. have you checked her site?
i used to make a little bag like this years ago its so handy for anight out.
love it keep up the good work. its always fun working out new designs.
cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009 03:51:47 PM »

NO I haven't, but I'll go look at Lazygirl.

Here's another take on the design. Bigger at 9" wide by 9.5" tall by just under 3" across the base.

I am going to move the handles to the back of the bag instead of the sides. I also didn't offset the zipper on the front pouch and it doesn't open and close as easily as my earlier prototype.

The adjustable strap was an excellent suggestion from Sandy. I used a little mother of pearl slide I got from another seller on etsy. My daughter has this furry eyelash yarn out making paper kites and of course, it was all over my office floor.. so I picked up some pieces for the front of the bag as well as some beads.

My sister says she doesn't care about what I see as imperfections and she loves it anyway, so off it goes to her a happy-whatever-day-you-received-this gift. My mom says in this bigger size I need to put a snap or velcro to keep the pocket closed behind the zip pouch. What do you all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solsisters
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009 09:47:14 PM »

cute bag it looks a lot  like the lazygirl design she has had out for years. have you checked her site?
i used to make a little bag like this years ago its so handy for anight out.
love it keep up the good work. its always fun working out new designs.
cyndi

You're right. It is a lot like this one

http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/products/item/Runaround_Bag/233/p3c50

but the 2nd pocket where the pouch attaches it pretty nice Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009 12:52:07 AM »

i used to make a pumpkin bag yrs ago which is like  quilted bag great for baby stuff etc, inside we made pockets very similar to that runaround bag. its funny how patterns turn up again and again.
a friend has been making fabric versions of plastic bags for years and now they are so popular on this site, but they arent new been around for years.
i know lazygril has registered her bags, but many are similar to bags  people have made over the years.
i hope you keep making your bags. they are great.
i love the colours.
did you see my quilt i made its in rich colours like this. you might like it.
its one of my latest postings on here
cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 MTV Movie Awards Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Kristen Stewart
Beyoncé Nails the Island-Style Look in Cuba
Featured Blogger: Annabelle Fleur of Viva Luxury
The Pencil Skirt: An Office Staple is Reborn
5 Ways To Wear A Leather Skater Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...