A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cushions around crochet hooks? And Sore Finger.  (Read 3369 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FrenchTea
« on: August 04, 2009 01:01:02 PM »

This is more of a two part question. And I'm usually more of a lurker/commenter and I've never made a forum on craftster so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong. XD

Lately when I crochet I find that my thumb on my right hand gets soar. Like right below the nail. I figure from pressing too hard on the hook? But I read somewhere that they suggested putting cushions on the hook. Well there are those little pencil cushions that they sell but does anyone have any quick and easy alternative that I could easily make?

And on my left pointer figure where my yarn usually rests, if I've been crocheting for a good amount of time the yarn begins to irritate my finger. I get that this is obviously because its cheap acrylic which I use alot because of its availability and such. But does anyone have a solution to help this. Like a way to cover up the finger but while still leaving my actual finger print area still exposed for gripping and such (I'm so going blank on a technical term for that part of the finger XP)

Thanks in advance for help if anyone has any ideas. :3
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 10:41:31 AM by FrenchTea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gramma Joe
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009 02:15:28 PM »

I read about removing the refill in a ball point pen and inserting crochet hook inside, to enlarge for gripping re hand pain.  I have not tried it but  also heard about playdough formed around hook.  As for your "wool finger",  what if you used a cream to coat skin ahead of time.  HMM...we used to use something before painting to make it easier to clean up?                                                   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 03:53:45 PM »

I dont know about covering the hook but I have used a band aid to cover a Wool finger before. My grandmother gets latex glove and cuts the finger off and the tip of the finger and puts it on her finger to help is she has irritation, She puts lotion on underneath and gets therapeutic benefits at the same time. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
EssHaych
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 08:48:39 AM »

Yeah I get this problem - with the wool finger I usually cover it with a plaster, like beth8144 says.
As for the hooks - I've wrapped tape around some of my smaller hooks before and it makes it slightly easier to hold. And a fellow Craftster pointed me in the direction of Soft Touch Ergonomic hooks. They're excellent!
Here's a link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clover-Soft-Touch-Ergonomic-Crochet-Hook-2-50mm_W0QQitemZ360160116373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH?hash=item53db373e95&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop: www.esshaych.etsy.com
Blog: www.esshaych.blogspot.com
Wist: www.wists.com/EssHaych

SWAPS!
Little Visitor Round 12
Post Secrets 12

I've started collecting Postcards! If you would like to trade PM me! <3 Thankies!
FrenchTea
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009 10:02:44 AM »

I doubt I'd go rushing out to get new hooks. But they do seem nice. The band aid and tape ideas seem easy enough.
And I could do the gloves. I'd just have to stock up on some.
:3 Thanks for the help guys.
Any more ideas that others have would be helpful too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whitney@TheCrochetCafe
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009 01:05:39 PM »

I have that problem too, especially when I am working on an amigurumi or tapestry crochet... really really tight stitches can really wear on my fingers.  I've just started to mold Sculpey polymer clay around my hook into a shape that is more comfortable.  I looked at some ergonomic crochet hooks on the net and you could probably mold the clay into that shape... so you don't have to go out and buy brand new hooks.  I have seen others use pencil grips, but I like the clay method best since I can control the shape of the handle.  I put some pictures of my clay handle grips on my blog... here's the address so you can see what I'm talking about:
http://thecrochetcafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/comfy-hooks.html
I've never had the wool finger problem before, but maybe those nice soft moleskin band-aids that are used for blisters would work.
Hope that helps!  Cheesy
-Whitney
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Whitney--
Check out my blog...
http://www.thecrochetcafe.com/
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009 06:06:16 PM »

I use gooshy grips I think is what they are called, and plastic tubing.  I got this idea from the art of crochet by teresa on youtube.  I had already found the gooshy grips but couldn't figure out how to make them fit the smaller hooks.  Basically for the small hooks put the plastic tubing on, then the gooshy.  For medium hooks cut the plastic lengthwise and then the goosy.  For big hooks, the gooshy alone works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnyAKzdcbeY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009 08:29:02 AM »

for the hook, check the first aid section of the pharmacy. There's a tape that sticks to itself, not to the skin. Wrap that around your hook to a comfortable size and you're all set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amygurumi
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009 11:44:40 AM »

Same problem here. I've switched to using Clover ergonomic hooks exclusively, and I bought some silicone fingertip protectors recently at a Japanese imports store. The look like thimbles, but are made of silicone like a baby's pacifier. They're soft and flexible, and they won't gum up your yarn or hook like bandages unfortunately have done for me. Not sure where to find them online, but highly recommend!

Cheers,
Amy

amygurumi.com
shopamygurumi.etsy.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009 08:32:50 AM »

if you use aluminum/steel hooks  i've seen grips made from polymer clay.  you can make them to perfectly fit your hooks & grip.  it's fairly inexpensive, easy to work with, & you can even get the softer kind used to make molded erasers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Best Ways to Use Hairspray
How to Combat Thinning Hair
Hair With Hollie: Anne Hathaway Short Hair
How To Rock The Heidi Roll Style This Spring
How To Make A Beaded Wedding Hair Accessory
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...