A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chocolate Filled Butter Cake, or the way to obesity in just seven ingredients!  (Read 3178 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SciFunk
« on: August 04, 2009 12:12:25 PM »

I was looking through one of those little Family Living recipe booklets (specifically "Gifts for Friends", I'm sure there's a joke in there about giving this to your "friends" so you'll look better by comparison) and came across this recipe. I knew from the moment I read the title that I had to go home right then and make it. Fortunately for my GPA, I waited until lecture was over, and then dashed home to mix up some deliciousness.

It didn't really wind up being that cakey. The "batter" was more like cookie dough, and required a lot of spreading. It's pretty freaking delicious, though.

Recipe!
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 (F). Cream butter and sugar, add milk and vanilla and mix until blended. Sift together flour and salt, add to creamed mixture and stir until blended. Melt chocolate chips (with some oil, if necessary). Spread half of cake dough/batter in 6 or 7 inch pan (mine was springform, I don't see why that was necessary, though). Spread melty chocolate over dough. Spread the rest of the dough/batter over chocolate. Cook about 40 minutes, or until edges are brown.

Om nom nom. Cakey buttery doughy goodness.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

norahkate
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009 12:23:55 PM »

I think I'll have to make this...tonight. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009 12:46:25 PM »

Crap.  I need to stop reading the dessert posts. 

This *looks* like a gigantic cookie.  And, (un)fortunately, I do have all of the ingredients...  might have to try this tonight. 

Thank You for sharing... my scale does not like you right now though.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
EnginerdLisa
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009 01:47:24 PM »

Paint is drying on the last of my kitchen redecorating projects, so I think I deserve a cake before I get to cleaning up.  I am soooo making this right now.

Ok, so I doubled the quantities and made it in a 9x9 pan since I didn't have any smaller pans.  It just came out of the oven and it looks great.  Plus it was one of the best tasting batters I've licked off a beater in a long time!  Tongue

Just cut into the cake.  The bottom layer isn't as cooked as I would like, but it is still delicious!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009 03:35:08 PM by EnginerdLisa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
Michelyne

Careful, that's a load-bearing thread!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009 03:11:23 PM »

Just made this with my girls...it was good, and definitely tasted fattening! But it didnt rise up, its kinda just a big hunk a butter. Do you think some baking powder would make it more fluffy next time?  Huh Did I not cook it long enough? Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EnginerdLisa
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009 03:16:19 PM »

Just made this with my girls...it was good, and definitely tasted fattening! But it didnt rise up, its kinda just a big hunk a butter. Do you think some baking powder would make it more fluffy next time?  Huh Did I not cook it long enough? Hmm.

I was wondering about the rising thing also.  I wondered if it didn't have to do with lack of eggs, you know like on brownie mixes it says for fudgey brownies add 2 eggs and for cake like add 3 eggs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penny: Oh, wow! A girl scientist!
Leslie Winkle: Yup. Come for the breasts. Stay for the brains.

My Blog (which I suck at keeping up with): Living Lisa
Michelyne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009 03:57:41 PM »

I'd maybe throw some baking powder in there. Let us know if it makes it rise-y! Smiley I only cooked it about 30 mins. It was indeed brown around the edges but I think it could have used several more minutes. I used a 9" pie plate. If I could find my freaking camera I would take a pic and we could compare notes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SciFunk
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009 07:58:29 PM »

Yeah, mine didn't really rise either. I'm sure some baking soda and/or eggs would help, but I see no reason to have a rising cake if it's delicious as is. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michelyne

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009 05:29:01 AM »

<this is embarassing...> so upon closer inspection of the ingredients, I see I misread the amount of butter. I put in two sticks/one cup--which, at the time, I thought seemed like alot, but hey, its a butter cake!....and yes! IT IS alot..hence the hunka butter incident. That said, I just had some for breakfast. if it's wrong, I don't wanna be right!!  Cheesy

Please disregard any further comments from me, I have frequent blonde moments when baking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009 10:00:55 AM »

...but hey, its a butter cake!....and yes! IT IS alot..hence the hunka butter incident. That said, I just had some for breakfast. if it's wrong, I don't wanna be right!!  Cheesy

Please disregard any further comments from me, I have frequent blonde moments when baking...

Tee Hee Hee.
Sounds delicious!
Looks like it might be scone-like.

Anybody had questions about the portion of chocolate chips? 1/4 what?
1/4 CUP?
1/4 Tablespoon?
1/4 GALLON? Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 9/19
How to Crochet People Holding Hands Borders
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 8/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 6/19
How to Crochet Little Mary Jane Booties Part 5/19
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...