A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,900
Currently Running With Scissors:
377 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soudough Culture Help!  (Read 607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mamaedgar
« on: August 04, 2009 10:06:28 AM »

I started a sour dough culture a week ago and i don't think it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.  It's not bubbling at all.  I have been pouring off a cup every day and feeding with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water.  A while after I mix it the water floats to the top and stays seperate.  help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009 07:57:01 PM »

Could you please post your exact regimen?

What are you using to keep the sourdough culture in? Plastic, glass, metal?

What kind of flour? Tap water, stood water, some other kind of water?

How does it smell? What does it look like - ie, is there anything else growing on it, what kind of texture does it have?

ETA: There are a lot of different ways to start a culture. It could be that it just needs more time or it could be that you need to stir it more frequently - how often do you stir the culture?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009 07:59:00 PM by LMAshton » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamaedgar
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009 09:08:11 PM »

well i found out some things.  i was keeping it in a glass jar with a plastic lid .... airtight, so that was my biggest problem!  I went to feed it today and found mold on it, so threw it out!  I will try again.  last time i fed it once a day(1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water, premixxed)  and only stirred it that one time.  i used organic white flour and just plain old tap water.  i mixed it with a fork, but i heard metal was bad, so switched to a wooden spoon.  i think the main reason it failed was because it couldn't breathe.  If i have problems with this next one i'll let you know!  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009 09:41:27 PM »

I don't know about the breathing thing. I keep a lid on mine all the time and haven't had a problem.

You don't have to use 1/2 cup flour/1/2 cup water - you can use tablespoons for both to keep down on the waste if you throw out the excess (I use it in pancakes, cakes, naan, whatever). I use stood water that's been boiled first, but all drinking water here has to be boiled first, especially for foreigners. I would suggest you use stood water - water that's stood out for a day or two so chloramine & whathaveyou dissipate. Some people have experienced problems with that sort of thing.

Metal for stirring shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're talking about US/Canadian quality stainless steel, not the crap we get here that stains, chips, flakes, rusts.

Some people find better success if they start with a rye flour for the starter - you don't have to continue using rye flour to maintain it, but it seems that rye has different bacteria/yeasts on the rye grains that can be beneficial to starting a culture.

Also, some people advocate stirring three or four times a day even if you only refresh once. Stirring frequently can increase probability that the yeasts/bacteria catch hold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Christopher Leonard: The Book That Changed My Life
Wendy Williams on Her Juicy New Novel
Jose Antonio Vargas LIVE
Murder And Mercy In Texas
Killer Instinct by S.E. Green
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...