A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog treats that people like too?  (Read 3144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009 05:41:00 PM »

I will be co-hosting a people & dog pool party in a few weeks. I'm looking for treats that are people friendly and dog safe. My plan is to have a buffet where the guests and their dogs can both get a treat. I found a carob chip cookie and a peanutbutter oatmeal cookie recipes but that's about it.
I make "gourmet" dog treats, so I want them to look appealing to both the dogs and the people.
This is not for profit, it is instead a thank you to all our loyal customers.
Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

P.S. I've looked all over the web and my local book stores don't seem to have what I'm looking for. I found a few books on line but don't really have time to wait for shipping. (I'd like to make a few test runs to give out before hand)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
AnnaB264
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010 05:11:52 PM »

Okay, I know this is a really old thread, but just in case anyone else is interested... this past weekend I made horse cookies to use when clicker-training my horse. 

Basically I mixed together oatmeal, corn bread mix, molasses, applesauce, a little bit of oil, 2 eggs, flour, cinnamon and sugar, and enough apple juice to make it into a sort of dough.  Rolled it into balls and baked at about 325 until hard (I didn't time, just kept checking).  Turns out my dog loved 'em, and I came home later to find my boyfriend eating some and sharing them with the dog!  (he KNEW they were supposed to be horse treats, but I made the mistake of telling him they were made with people-grade ingredients.)

I've made these before, and basically you can use any number of ingredients mixed in proportions to make the right consistency dough.  Sometimes I've cleaned out the pantry this way... old boxes of cereal or cake mix that won't be used can be tossed in!  Also, you should always add an egg or two, as it acts as a binder to help hold things together. A bit of oil in the mix seems to help too, although now I can't recall why. Here are some things I've used in the past:

Dry stuff: Oatmeal, corn meal, Bisquick, cake mix, gingerbread mix, powdered or regular sugar, brown sugar, cream of wheat, wheat germ, rice crispies, crushed cookies or graham crackers.

Moist stuff: applesauce, any flavor baby food, cooked and mashed carrots, fruit juice, molasses, honey, mashed banana (my dog loves dried banana chips)

If the mix is really sticky, it helps to use wet hands to roll it into balls.

NOTE:  Although many dogs love chocolate (as do people), do NOT use it, as it's poisonous... especially cocoa used in cooking. (Just in case someone reading this post isn't aware of that)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Irving
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010 06:57:31 AM »

Anna this is a very good idea !  Smiley Now I feel like trying your recipe !

My two cents about human treats that are dog safe is anything like breaded fish sticks and fillets, chicken balls and nuggets, and meat pies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Les railleurs, les sceptiques et les indifférents n'ont jamais été bâtisseurs ou défenseurs d'oeuvres humaines". Lieutenant Jean Plantier. Clothes for dogs
simples145
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011 04:24:44 AM »

I agree some great recipes there and meat is always good to go, like mini sausages, sausage rolls just liek what Irvin said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Easter Egg Drying Rack
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...