A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cool places in Mass to go to  (Read 2765 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silvercrank
« on: February 25, 2004 12:44:56 PM »

does anyone know of any cool places to go to -ahemm - i mean like those, dinky hidden-away type of cool shops and stuff? just wondering.

:: silvercrank ::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jcis27
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004 06:52:16 AM »

There's this place across the street from the middle east in cambridge that is so amazing, i can't remember the name, but it's across from the side of the middle east, they carry all sorts of hand crafted items, oil cloth, and a bunch of mexican themed items.

there's also fly rabbit in alston, on harvard ave.  they have cool stuff.

and there are a bunch of shops along centre street in jamaica plain (i am a little biased here...) there's an awesome kitchen shop, a cool toy store (named boing) and there's boomerang's, they are a nonprofit and most of their earnings go  towards aids prevention charity.  these stores are all in the center of centre, but on the other end is hi-lo market and they have those awesome candles that come in tall glass votives, they sell for about $1 ea.

i (heart) j.p.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahLiz
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004 08:13:15 PM »

after reading the last post i thought i should write and tell about a book i have called boston neighborhoods by lynda morgenroth, its described as a food lovers guide to ethnic enclaves in and around boston, however i think it would be great even if you were not a food lover. i thought of it because the store flyrabbit is mentioned in it as well as some other cool stores in central sq., In the book each chapter is a different part of boston such as central sq., allston/brighton, south end, jamaica plain etc. and in each chapter she gives a little history about the area and takes you on a walking tour of the area highlighting interesting stores and places to eat, al ot of them little holes in the wall that i probably wouldn't have found otherwise, anyways, it would definately be an excellent book if you were new to the area or just hadn't explored boston much or wanted some new places to go but i think it could also be interesting even if you've lived in boston awhile.  im sure i look like a dork walking around these neighborhoods w/ the book in my hands, looking for the places it mentions but oh well, its worth, its helped me find some great places, you could probably have just as much fun, if u had time, walking around these neighborhoods yourself and discovering places, and look like less of a dork, but if not then this book is a shortcut, anyways, im gonna shutup now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004 04:30:41 PM »

cool cooll cool...i'll go there as soon as i get a car.... i live on the north shore and everything here is boring or costs money.... i just want some eye candy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004 06:56:50 PM »

If you are into Asian food and wares the Porter Exchange is pretty cool (In Porter Square on the red line).  There is a cool Asian market there.  My sister and I often go and buy candy that we have no idea what it is (we have been luckys and it's usually pretty tastey).  The candy wrappers and boxes are also often cute and good for crafting.
Oh and there is a place that has beautiful (although a little pricey) origami paper.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004 07:16:25 PM by twilight021 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alea
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004 02:33:31 PM »

Come to Salem. Smiley It's not all witch shops--there's a couple of cool but really expensive stores on and off of Washington St (also in the Essex Pedestrian Mall)

www.pmousse.com  (Pamplemousse) sells kitchen stuff.

www.elixirdecor.com (Elixir) sells really expensive stuff, but it's neat.

And Nostalgia sells vintage items. There's also Arbella Yarn on Pickering Wharf. A new Indian Restaurant opened on Washington st a little while back, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004 01:18:35 AM »

Come to Salem. Smiley It's not all witch shops--there's a couple of cool but really expensive stores on and off of Washington St (also in the Essex Pedestrian Mall)

www.pmousse.com  (Pamplemousse) sells kitchen stuff.

www.elixirdecor.com (Elixir) sells really expensive stuff, but it's neat.

And Nostalgia sells vintage items. There's also Arbella Yarn on Pickering Wharf. A new Indian Restaurant opened on Washington st a little while back, too.

oh cool, thanks a lot!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alea
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004 08:12:32 PM »

No problem. I forgot Cafe Kushco, too. I don't know what kind of food to call it, but I had a tomato, artichoke, and black olive paste sandwich there the first time I went. It's new, too. The owner has told me what I MUST order when I go there. She's a scream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heliosdragon
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004 01:50:26 PM »

thanks for the book suggestions, sarahliz!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamram
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004 08:33:20 PM »

ok, first of all, smashing pumpkins = <3<3<3.
now that thats settled,

the comedy studio.   theyre in the attic of the hong kong restaurant in harvard square.  really good, smart standup comedy and chinese food.  what else can you ask for?

i dont know if thats really the kind of thing you were looking for, but theyre pretty hidden away.  their slogan is, "nobody comes here by accident."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips To A Healthy Glow In The Winter, from Katia Beauchamp
How to Get Catwalk-Inspired Autumn Glitter Makeup
How to Rock Vampy Dark Eyes and Lips Makeup
Gunmetal Eye Makeup Tutorial
Create the Ultimate Bubble Bath with This Easy Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...