A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,970
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Claimed lamp  (Read 710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
« on: August 23, 2009 09:11:49 AM »

I call it my "claimed lamp" because it wasn't really mine to begin with, I claimed it and made it mine.

Here's the story behind my lamp: Going to school in Idaho, I was diagnosed as bipolar (which I now believe was a misdiagnosis). They put me on Zoloft and I didn't like it b/c it made me feel dead and uncreative so instead of weening myself off of it, like I should have, I dropped it all at once and this was what happened:

Like I said, I found the lamp in my apartment and when I asked the apartment managers about it, they said they didn't know where it came from and I was welcome to it. I already had some paint and my previous roommate left some pink and green chiffon-like fabric behind so I went to the store and bought some beads and some copper wire. I stripped the fabric off of the shade and painted it (2 colors) and used the fabric elsewhere (for a photo album). I sewed the chiffon onto the lamp with the copper wire and made it fit by wrapping the lamp with more copper wire:

There are flowers on multiple layers of chiffon, which is one of my favorite things about this lamp:

It's not as nice as it once was, but I made it 5 years ago and since then I have moved 4 times, 2 of which were very long distance, and I now have an almost 3 year old so... Time takes it's toll.

Still one of my favorite creations [next to my kid(s) of course] if only because of what it stands for and what I was going through at the time.

This is also my first real post on Craftster.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009 05:00:34 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Daymoth
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009 11:03:54 PM »

The lamp is awesome, and good for you for having the will to take control of your own life/mind/self! Too many people are willing to ignore their own inner voices because some doctor says such & such so now you need to take this and nevermind the side effects. But anyway yeah, the lamp is gorgeous! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gamified STEM Learning Can Reach More Kids
What Does Your Birthday Say About You?
Students Are Taskswitching Every 17 Seconds
10 Really Amazing Things About Spacesuits
MWM_Lisa_Holton_Common_Core_RISE
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...