Okay, so I post a ton of tops here and I call them completed because I usually send them off to blue-haired land (no offense) to get them quilted since I am by no means a professional AND I have very minimal patience.
Back story on the hardcore quilt top: I wanted to get rid of some band shirts I'd acquired and wanted to create something where you couldn't always recognize the band logo/name/etc. So I decided to go the deconstructivist route and cut up the shirts into smaller pieces and put them back together in random orders (this one is more random than the first one I did since these were the 'dud' blocks). Also, the goal was to have it work as a piece from any side (no correct up or down). This one doesn't work as well, but oh well. It's a quilt now.
Welllll... today, I decided to go for it. I had a hardcore quilt top I posted a while back
and some leftover blocks that I hadn't used. I took the leftover blocks from the rock/metal/punk/crappy band t-shirts and made a 2nd quilt top. I hit up Hancock Fabrics and got some batting and backing (which was on sale, BTW!) and went to town.
I just did the classic perpendicular diagonals since it was my first try at quilting something larger than a potholder. I used tape to guide my stitching so I wouldn't get too far off from being straight.
Here's photos of the progress and the finished quilt!
Basting and taping ...
Ready to quilt!
Here's where my bobbin ran out of thread and I took a break to take a walk for an hour or so ... came back refreshed and ready to conquer the beast!
extreme close-up WHOAAAAAA
Sorry... had to do the Wayne's World reference there...
And my favorite picture of all...
Okay... the back is totally gross because it picked up fuzz from the batting. I'm washing this thing first thing tomorrow.
Oh, and I totally also sewed the binding on backwards. AND I zig-zag stitched it on instead of hand-stitching cuz that's how I roll.
Thanks for looking!