A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slogo The Driving Slug! (World's Most Photos of a Driving Mollusk!)  (Read 3129 times)
Tags for this thread: slug , pinewood_derby , circus  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 02, 2009 02:22:17 PM »

Yesterday was the 4th annual Adult Pinewood Derby (or was it the 5th?).  Either way it was my second opportunity to hang with the awesome folks who put on and participate in this Extravaganza of Smack Talk!  We did a old-time Circus Freaks theme this year.

The Bailey to my P.T. Barnum is buddy, Sol (The Bearded Beauty).  Photos of us in our costumes will hopefully follow when I can rustle some up.  I wore my big boots and a "cave woman" costume... and finally got to use my big plastic femur as a club.  The posters are photos of people at the race photoshopped into circus freak posters found online.  Those are Sol's handywork.

The back of the tent was set up to allow access to the interior (though I didn't use it that way) and to the lighting controls, disguised as an A/C unit.

Now the STAR OF THE SHOW, Slogo the Driving Slug!  Most of the racers are interested in winning Fastest Car, but for me it's all about the presentation.  Any excuse for a costume is one of my mottoes.  Sadly, Slogo wasn't the slowest... something like 2nd or 3rd slowest.  Regardless, how many other drivers with no eyes and no arms (let alone thumbs) stayed on the track?  

On stage in front of his amazed and adoring fans:

They include adults, kids, a cat, a guy with an axe in his head and a mohawked dude.  There's also a rat running across the floor, but I couldn't get him in the photo AND you couldn't really see him anyway.  Bummer.

See the Driving Slug - UP CLOSE!

Please note the slug trail up and across the back of the mollusk-made vehicle.  Ahem.

The NO sign for Slogo's audience:

No beer, no salt, no slug bait or poison!

The flashing LED bundle in the ceiling:

I hope to get a video of that, because during the display portion of the program (these photos were taken today outside) it was dark and the lights really made the display cooler.

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, even though the costume wasn't as much as I would like it to have been and it was HOTTER than 2 rats rutting in a sack in that thing.  The ManFlesh diplomatically described it as "not the most flattering thing I've seen you in" - HA!  Wait'll you see his get up (post coming soon).  Also I was able to keep my New Year's resolution to not buy much in the way of stuff to do this.  All I bought were weights for the car (which  I didn't use and will try to use next year), red paint for the stripes and some kids air-dry clay for the Slogo and the car parts (bumpers, lights, steering wheel).

The ManFlesh's entry:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315646.0

Last year's fun, Cub Scouting for the Adult Undead:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=260397.msg2916291#msg2916291
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009 05:36:19 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

phlegethon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009 02:36:01 PM »

This is so cool! I'm a little confused as to what it's for, exactly, but that's okay. It makes up for my lack of understanding through sheer awesomeness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every angel is terrible.

wists
ravelry
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009 02:51:53 PM »

AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009 02:56:28 PM »

This is so cool! I'm a little confused as to what it's for, exactly, but that's okay. It makes up for my lack of understanding through sheer awesomeness.

Thank you!  This is the first part of the wikipedia entry for Pinewood Derby:
The pinewood derby is a racing event for Cub Scouts in the Boy Scouts of America. Cub Scouts, with the help of parents, build their own cars from wood, usually from kits containing a block of pine, plastic wheels and metal axles.  

This version allows for more than twice the weight of Cub Scout cars, probably looser size perameters and I don't think the Cub Scouts have dioramas, costumes or potluck.  They certainly don't have the beer.

AWESOME!

Thanks!  Holy cats, it was SO HOT in my synthetic furry dress and big hairy boots, I tell ya!  Wait'll you see The ManFlesh's costume!  Makes his Halloween one look demur.  Ahem.   Wink
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009 02:57:12 PM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009 04:33:38 PM »

Absolutely FLIPPIN Hilarious! Love Love Love this!

Was the Smack Talk a competition or just for fun? This sounds like something I could really get into. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009 05:34:29 PM »

Absolutely FLIPPIN Hilarious! Love Love Love this!

Was the Smack Talk a competition or just for fun? This sounds like something I could really get into. LOL
Thank you!  I'm having a hard time accepting it's ultimate dismantling.

The smack talk does count towards your Presentation votes.  There's not a point system for that, just each racer gets to vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places including the car, the diorama, costumes, speech and general track behavior including smack talk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Sweetest Scrub for Kissable Lips
Go Matte For Flawless Makeup
C&C Try: DIY Beauty Face Masks
How To Fix Broken Makeup
Karlie Kloss Reveals How She Got In Shape For VS Fashion Show
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...