A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Passover???  (Read 973 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elleshellmo
« on: April 10, 2005 01:53:03 PM »

Okay, so ummmm here's my question:
I'm going to Passover at my boyfriend's house and a few other people are invited too.  Is it appropriate to bring a bread and butter type gift to such an occasion (clearly not actual bread and butter) like flowers or something, or is it completely innapropriate to bring anything considering it is Passover and there are many people coming who will not be bringing anything 'cause they're my boyfriend's college roommates- but I am his girlfriend, and this is the first time I've met them.  I have no idea.
Sincerely,
So Goy it Hurts
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005 12:09:51 AM »

be nice and bring flowers. there ain't nothin wrong with that!

or a bottle of manechewitz! (oh god is that even spelled right? worstjewever)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005 12:50:04 AM »

well, do you want to bring something crafty or just something nice?  because if you want to bring something nice, just bring manichevitz.  it's fun weak yummy jewish wine. Smiley  if you want to be crafty, well, there's tons you could do.  you could make a seder plate, a plate that's divided in different parts for dinner parts of the ceremony -  search for seder plate on google to see the sections.  or you could make an afikoman cover - the afikoman is the matzah in the middle of the table.  you could take a plain white hankerchief and embroider it, or tie-dye it, or paint it, or anything else your little goy heart desires.  Smiley  or whoever's leading the ceremony is supposed to be able to recline on a pillow - you could decorate a pillow in some way that would be fun yet useful afterwards.  any of these would show that you cared about his holiday enough to research it.

on a side note, stop stealing our jewish boys, shiksa!! SmileySmileySmiley (i kid, i kid)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005 01:57:08 AM »

Nice flowers and/or a box of KLP (Kosher Le'Pesach = certified ok to eat on Passover) chocolates are always appreciated. How about making some funky fake flowers (ribbon, wool, paper...lots of options) so you're giving them a bunch to last the 8 days...and beyond?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
kaybee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005 08:13:08 AM »

bottle of kosher for passover wine.......napkin rings.........pot holders........flowers for the table........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 03:05:42 PM »

This might be more Channukah than passover, but you might want to keep this idea in mind in case you get invited to that in December! = )

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18720.0

You could also make little things to represent the plagues, or maybe even "the four questions."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005 04:04:46 PM by candycanechild » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005 05:12:53 PM »

I wouldn't suggest making a seder plate b/c that's not a "bread and butter" gift(it's so funny you used that term because you can't eat bread on passover! Grin) Anyway, you can make them maybe hot holders or something lke that. I'm going to also say Manichevitz(spelled wrong oops. Little Tidbit: that's a pesach wine. There are plenty of other jewish wines during the year. I'm not a wine wiz. I should ask my dad. There's also Gefen and other wines I don't know the name of) because that's very appropriate, Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005 01:11:23 PM »

Definitely wine or desserts (like the marshmallows covered in chocolate- mmmm!) Or maybe some nuts/dried fruit for after dinner. Just make sure you check the food with your boyfriend first to avoid a non-kosher faux pas! I wouldn't suggest a seder plate or any other sort of religious artifact for the same reason. Maybe you could knit your boyfriend a kippah (yarmulke, headcovering, etc.).  He could show it off at dinner, and his parents would fall in love with you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Trendy Spring Looks For Less
Kellan Lutz Reveals His One Fashion Mistake
Pharrell to Collaborate with Adidas Using Recycled Materials
5 Trendy Spring Jacket Looks
How to Wear a Crop Top and High Waisted Trousers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...