A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
816 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MY man IS crafty too! [total remodel of 102 yr. old house] PIC HEAVY  (Read 4944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 01, 2009 10:36:35 PM »

So, I don't have the before pictures--was taken with a one-use piece of crap camera. Pictures are lost somewhere? We recently moved into another house. But Marcus [and I helped a little bit] with the complete remodel of the home. I know it isn't "crafty" but it IS sort of crafty because well 100 year old homes need lots of updating. LOL

Exterior: All marcus. Cheesy He loves landscaping and is actually really good at keeping it up. Pictures are after our prettiest perennials [asiatic lillies] were already done blooming for the season. Not quite the best "curb appeal picture" but it was our home for 2 years! Should have tooken pictures when all flowers were in full bloom. All well. NOTE: Those wooden posts sticking out of the ground are not ours. They are "property markers" stuck in the ground by the neighbor.

This was the living room all decked out before we moved to our new crappy house that were are going to fix up. lol

This is our built-in entertainment center that marcus custom-built to replace an out of code/peice of crap gas fireplace. I like this much better. Surround sound system completely wired through the walls. He built this to hide the wires. Smiley Totally awesome. Oh, and he did all the tiling on this wall too.

Kitchen: WAS SOOOOO BAD. The former cabinets were rotting away/smelled horrrrrible. These are IKEA cabinets that we built ourselves. OK so they come in a box with instructions, but WE had to put each one of them together. LOL There were Black appliances instead of white, but we just changed them out.

ONE OF MY FAVVVVVVVVORITE ROOMS is the LOWER bathroom: Marcus built this baby for me. Notice all the green=MY favorite color. lol Not to mention the fact that there are recessed lighting all over on the ceiling. The mirror was actually my grandma's. He refurbished it to put it in my bathroom. Smiley Means alot to me. This used to be hideous and tiny. He actually expanded the room into an old hallway. Completely destructed the old nasty, super ugly bathroom to make this wonderful space.

There are more pictures here:

http://theharrishomes.blogspot.com

They are all after we have moved out & we are going to rent it out. Note: The upstairs bathroom has yet to be remodeled-its on his to do list though, but it isn't as bad as the rest of the house was. LOL

What do ya'll think? Didn't Marcus do a fabulous job? Well, I suppose you wouldn't really know the difference unless I showed you the before pictures. Gotta find them lol. I LOVE IT and quite frankly it is my favorite house of ours.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
Mr. Shua
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009 11:06:00 PM »

Looks totally amazing!  Looking to buy a fixer upper right now, and it's nice to see what you've done with yours.  The entertainment system is very cool.  How long did it take you to do the kitchen?  It's beautiful.  That must have been quite a bit of work putting all the cabinets together.  I love Ikea! You and your husband did an awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009 12:43:54 AM »

what a beautiful house...I love the charm of old houses. I really like the wall behind your tv..did you put it in or was it already there? It looks like some sort of stone tile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009 05:56:37 AM »

Everything is beautiful and looks really well done.  I can just imagine what it looked like before as a lot of homes that age are very run down.  I looked at the photos on your blog and this house is gorgeous.  I wish I could rent it out... really. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009 07:55:09 AM »

Thanks for all of your kind comments!!!!!!

How long did it take you to do the kitchen?  It's beautiful.  That must have been quite a bit of work putting all the cabinets together.

It took us 2 months! But there was 4 layers of walls that needed to be removed in order to get down to the bare bones of the walls. Actually, all of the cabinets took us 34 minutes for the first 2, but then once we got the hang of them they took us about 15-20 minutes each. They were actually very easy to put together & turned out to be extremely sturdy. Note: we also put Gorilla Glue in every single cabinet [they have pegs & screws to hold them together]. Marcus thought the Gorilla Glue would ensure they are extra durable. The best things about IKEA cabinets: The "smart-close drawers" are like a standard-you dont have to pay extra for the feature. I LOVE that. They also have legs that are adjustable that you can leave showing or cover with a toekick. This is a feature that is great for cleaning underneath the actual cabinets. Because they have adjustable legs, you can make it perfectly level even if you have an unsquare room [which is common in 100 year old homes].

what a beautiful house...I love the charm of old houses. I really like the wall behind your tv..did you put it in or was it already there? It looks like some sort of stone tile.

Thank you! I love the charm of older houses too. Believe it or not, this DID NOT have any of the charm. All of the molding on the main level was us, the upstairs & stairwell were already there though.

The wall behind the tv was all Marcus. Yes, tiled with ceramic tiles-they look like slate actually. It was actually really fun destroying that entire wall. Smiley It looks soooo much prettier and is actually a functional use of of the space [the previous gas fireplace was not operational & was not code].

Everything is beautiful and looks really well done.  I can just imagine what it looked like before as a lot of homes that age are very run down.  I looked at the photos on your blog and this house is gorgeous.  I wish I could rent it out... really. 

It was very run down. You can rent it out if you live in the Toledo area or you want to move here!! lol Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
twobluestripes
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009 03:45:32 AM »

It looks beautiful! I just love old houses, I hope you find a good renter, too. If that house was here in Orange, CA, with me, it would be renting for a few thousand at least!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009 04:53:16 PM »

It looks beautiful! I just love old houses, I hope you find a good renter, too. If that house was here in Orange, CA, with me, it would be renting for a few thousand at least!

Actually, I have been having a TONNNNNN of interest in the property. It's really odd because typically houses are in a "renters market" meaning there is very little to any interest in houses--and they sit vacant for a long time. Right now I have so many people who want to sign the lease after the walk-throughs that Marcus and I are unsure of who to rent to. Really odd, but really nice for us. Makes us feel awesome too because people LOVE the house and all the work was done by Marcus with my assistance. Just really nice to know that all that hard work is appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
lanna to the max
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009 04:48:04 PM »

Thats awesome!! The bathroom looks amazing, I don't know why but I really like the way the shower looks with the toilet...looks like something I would've built in the Sims. Also, that entertainment center is amazing and takes a way a hundred years from the house haha

THIS ROCKS   Logged
diycrafter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009 12:07:34 PM »

You all did a wonderful job on the house. I can't imagine renting out such a pretty place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009 05:14:41 PM »

thankz. rented it out bc i lost my job. lol so we bought another house with cheaper payments Smiley i really do love house #1 though & want to move back someday. its such a cozy home. i absolutely adore it. Smiley marcus did a fabulous job in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Jubilee Bunting
How to Make Jubilee Bunting Flags
How to Make Paper Bunting
How to Weave With Ribbons
How to Make a Prodder for Rag-Rug Making
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...