A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,790
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbon Headband Tutorial! Simple and cute!  (Read 4386 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , ribbon , headband , elastic  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2009 02:46:39 PM »

Here is a super quick and easy tutorial to teach you how to make a ribbon headband! This ribbon headband uses a small strip of elastic in the back to hold your hair better in place and, best of all, reduce the pain that typically prevents me from wearing headbands in the first place!

Here's what you'll need:

- Ribbon (about a yard)
 - Elastic scrap (about 6")
 - Thread that matches your ribbon closely

Step 1: measure around your head where a headband would go. I got about 20 inches.

Step 2: Cut two pieces of ribbon to the same length, and cut a piece of elastic. You can use the same ribbon, or even make it reversible! But the ribbons should be the same width. I cut my ribbon to 16 inches each piece, and my elastic to 7 inches... compare your measurement from step 1 to mine and decide whether you would want more or less of either.

Step 3: Place one of your ribbon pieces right side up, and center the edge of your piece of elastic on top.

Step 4: Place the other piece of ribbon, right side down, on top of the elastic, to make a sandwich. Make sure it is well-aligned with the other piece of ribbon. Pin in place, then stitch across.

Step 5: Repeat step 4 with the other end of your ribbons, making sure not to twist the ribbons. At the end of the step your ribbons & elastic should look something like this:

Step 6: At the ends where the elastic meets the ribbon, turn it ride-side out. Now, iron the crease flat where your ribbons touch. (be careful, because some ribbons highly dislike being ironed!)

Step 7: Line up your ribbons so they are directly on top of each other, and topstitch close to each edge.

Step 8: You may want to press your headband quickly again if topstitching caused any slight wrinkles, but otherwise, you're done! Enjoy!

I hope you liked this tutorial... these headbands are cute and simple, and would make a great gift accessory. I'd love to see pictures of your finished headbands! And, as always, your comments are welcomed and appreciated, so please let me know whether this tutorial was clear enough. If you use this tutorial, please link back to http://fluffyland.com/blog/index.php/ribbon-headband-tutorial/. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013 12:01:55 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s). » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
Weezie13
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009 07:26:22 PM »

Love the tutorial!!!
Nice job on the pic's too!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JakeGigiLolasMommy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009 07:00:04 PM »

Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Molly
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Products for Highlighting, Contouring and Foundation
Fast Path to Bee-Stung Lips
Bizarre Beauty Trend: Bleach Facials
On-the-Go Glam
Sneak Peek: Birchbox February 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...