A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your favorite crochet tip...  (Read 33104 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2008 09:34:00 AM »

Not only my favorite tip, but my only tip, lol:

"Dress" a large skein in a loose knee high to keep it together as it hollows out while you use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2008 09:56:59 AM »

Having read back a few pages I haven't seen a definitive answer so I tried to gather from a few sources US/UK conversion:

Crochet Terms

British English                                                            North American English

Slip stitch/ single crochet (sl st or ss or sc)                             Slip stitch (sl st)
Chain stitch (ch)                                                                 Chain stitch (ch)
Double crochet (dc)                                                            Single crochet (sc)
Half treble crochet (htr)                                                       Half double crochet (hdc)
Treble crochet (tr)                                                              Double crochet (dc)
Double treble crochet (dtr or dbl tr)                                       Triple crochet (tr)
Triple treble crochet (tr tr)                                                   Double triple crochet (dtr)
Cast off                                                                            Bend off / fasten off
Tension                                                                            Gauge
Miss                                                                                 Skip
Work Straight                                                                    Work Even
Yarn Over Hook (yoh)                                                         Yarn Over (YO)

And here's many other conversions: http://www.kcgtrading.com/conversioncharts.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
opivygrl

I'm just a girl... trying to go green

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2008 08:58:39 AM »

I save all of my yarn scraps and use them to stuff amigurumis

I just had this epiphany a couple of days ago!  I'm so glad someone else thought of it too - it's a great way to reuse Cheesy

Here's my tip that Eliea recommended I post here:

After much distress with magical width-changing scarves, I now know that if I'm going to successfully make a straight line, I need to use a stitch marker to keep track of the last stitch that I need to crochet into (for sc, the first sc of the row; for any other stitches, the top chain of the turning chain).   The only reason it's different for sc is becuase it's usually recommended to ch 1 & sc in the first stitch, and at the end of the row to not put any stitches into the turning chain.

I hope that makes sense!  It's frustrating to keep moving the stitch marker, but it's a lot less frustrating than having to frog half a scarf becuase you suddenly realize it's twice as wide as it used to be  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayly666
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2008 01:58:30 AM »

Some of these may be repeats but I dont have time right this second to go through all 19pgs.

1) If you have nosey cats who want to go on adventures with your yarn, take old coffee tins and put a hole in the lid (a grommet is helpful to prevent snagging) and put your yarn in the tin...keeps the cats from stealing your skeins

2) If you go to Value Village you can sometimes get many skeins of yarn for $2-$3. (I got two HUGE skeins of handspun handyed for 1$

3) Be careful when using plastic hooks, I've snapped many tips off my hooks when I get frustrated Cry

4) Also from Goodwill/Value Village, knit or crochet  blankets can be picked up for a song and then frogged for use in other projects

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 02:00:44 AM by Kayly666 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/next_big_thing1">Next Big Thing</a>
<br>
Unless otherwise stated items I post on craftster are available at the above website.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2008 12:29:20 PM »

I always had a problem with finding a way to carry my scissors and things with me when I'm crafting on the go.  I used to use ziploc bags, but the scissors or hooks would end up poking through the plastic.

One day, it occurred to me: duct tape can solve this!

So I took a snack-sized ziploc bag and "lined" the outside of it completely in purple duct tape.  Now it's sturdy AND resealable (and jarringly purple!).  I'm going to make some more, to keep with various projects I'm working on.

Speaking of which, I've started keeping my "multiples" projects in those re-usable grocery bags the stores are selling these days.  By multiples I mean my dishcloth yarn and the related hook in one, my slippers yarn and related hooks in another, etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tenille
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2008 07:36:06 AM »

I think I probably said this before, but I think it's worth repeating.
The best thing I ever bought was one of those $.97 tiny foldable pair of scissors that I bought at WalMart. There's a tiny hole on the end so you can put it on a keyring. Then you always have scissors,. They fold so you don't accidently cut or poke anything. And they're always easy to find, because who doesn't know where they put there keys when they're out of the house? BEst thing ever! I even end up using them for so many other things besides my yarn. It's great! See...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2008 02:37:08 PM »

My mom just gave me a tip:

However much your yarn cost, in the last ball you wind, when you start winding it, wrap it around that much money. That way, if you run out of yarn and need another skein, you don't have to wait til payday to get another ball. Or, it's a reward for finishing a project without having to get more yarn Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
CrochetFactor
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2010 11:51:08 PM »

Grin Have any tips that make crocheting easier?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Menwy
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2010 11:56:29 PM »

I do a lot of amigurumi style characters, and I find that a bobby pin works great as an alternative to stitch markers or different colored yarn. They are cheap, and easy to slip in and out of your stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetFactor
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2010 08:53:55 PM »

That's a wonderful idea. I think I'm going to use boby pins. They are less expensive and easier to find at CVS.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...