A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your favorite crochet tip...  (Read 34852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itscribe
« on: April 10, 2005 08:54:42 AM »

Yep, stealing the idea from the knitting forum, but the thread has been going for months with so many wonderful ideas thought it would be interesting to see what wonderful tips the crochet folks have.

I'll start...

When I have a ball of yarn that I am working from, I put it in a stew pot at my feet. That way the ball just rolls around in the pot instead of all around the room.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogsrock
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005 09:29:55 AM »

this is for when changeing the ball of yarn weather its stripes or just you ran out

crochet the ends in! i only know how to do this at the end of a row but anyways
 make a slip knot with the new color and put the hook threw it then crochet like you normally would into the end stitch for the next stitch
1. insert hook
2. hold you working strand and the short strands over it
3. treat the short ends like they're part of the bit you inserted into

just keep crocheting the row doing it like that till the short ends are gone

my grandmom taught me this because im doing a striped scarf so you only need to weave in the first end and the last rather than a zillion
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005 10:00:08 AM »

Cheesy  I like this!

When using a rougher yarn, put a band-aid over the rub area on your index finger; it is slick enough to allow the yarn to slide, but prevents yarn burn on your skin.

And of course: Never SIT on your lace hook....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
gearhead_70
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005 02:29:16 PM »

When you start to feel bogged down by all the projects that need to be completed for others- STOP and make something small for yourself!   When I do this it renews me enough to want to make something for someone else, after all you should get to reap the rewards of some of your own work!!!

I also like to leave an assortment of hooks and at least one skein of yarn in the car so that I never get caught off guard.  (I like to crochet when I am sitting in waiting rooms etc.)   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuruku
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005 09:48:14 AM »

I usually hold the strand of yarn between my legs or  through my toes. I know it sounds so, so weird -- but it creates the nicest, most consistent gauge throughout any project...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 01:51:50 PM »

When making something for somebody else:

1.MAKE SURE IT'S THERE SIZE! nothing's more annoying then finishing something, giving it to the person and it's too small
2.make sure it's a color they'll like not just a color you like. Not everyone likes hot pink.

Even if you're free-forming you should plan something out before you start. Don't just pick up a crocheting hook and yarn and expect a bag to appear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005 02:45:14 PM »

keep a bottle of wine nearby.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alea
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005 04:16:24 PM »

LOL. Personally, I only work on *gasp* one project at a time, otherwise I never finish anything.

And always, always buy more yarn for a project than you think you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modkatie
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005 09:57:20 AM »

My favorite tip, from 'Mom'--

If you're working a very large piece, say a shawl or afghan with a starting chain in the 100's, use stitch markers (or a piece of cut yarn) to mark every ten or twenty (or 50, whatever) stitches to save yourself some counting time.

My own favorite tip, for the highly-organized types:

For each project (I often work a few at the same time), I make a swatch first, then safety pin the label from that skein to it with a notation of which project it is, which of my books and mags the pattern is in and what size hook(s) I'm using. Then I always have a reference for care and washing, a place to pick up where I left off if the hook slid out into the bottom of my bag or if I can't remember which pattern book it was from, and answers to: What yarn did you use? Can you make me one like it?, etc.

Each swatch gets put into an individual sandwich baggie too (with a bit of extra yarn and an extra button if needed, and given with the item if it is a gift)--is that anal or what??  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscribe
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005 10:15:42 AM »

I found in a $1 store this toy that was a bunch of rings that are similar to split rings. The idea was that a child could string the rings to make necklaces and the like. The plastic is about the thickness of two standard noodles. (Can't think of another visual- lol)

They are great for those of us who work on multiple projects and worry about the hook falling out and thereby losing some already worked stitches. Slip the ring thingy where it hangs on the last loop on the hook and it will be impossible for the piece to unwind.

Also works great for row counting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put a Modern, Sexy Twist on Your Gray Hair
How to Properly Grow Out Your Grey Hair
Expert Tips for Coloring Your Hair at Home
A Cancer Survivor Gets an Emotional Makeover
Copper Smokey Eye Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...