A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I dye a khaki-ish type of fabric?  (Read 1745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tragedienne306
« on: April 10, 2005 08:03:08 AM »

Well, you see, I have this really weird-looking khaki pants with wide hips and narrow legs, so I was thinking of making it into a long skirt. However, after I cute the inner legs' seams, i noticed an area which had a few brown spots. Not that much, but definitely noticable.

I was wondering if i should or not dye it.. If I could, I'm planning on using the color black. But just for the heck of it, here's what it says on the tag on the pants :

100% Cotton
Machine wash cold
With like colors
Do not bleach
Warm iron if necessary
Or professionally dry clean.

If it says it'd be better to dry-clean, does it mean the fabric's fragile or something? I'm just wondering if the cloth dye would spoil it after the dyeing process.

I've never dyed anything before, so since you guys are more knowleadgable about this than I am, I figured it'd be better to ask the experts. Wink

Thank you! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005 08:27:23 AM »

I tried that once with some old work pants. They were a light khaki and I also tried to dye them black. This is what I advise:
If you have a black light, or if you happens to pass by a store with black lights on display... put your pants underneath them. Why? You may not be able to tell in any light (I wasn't) but you may have bleached areas on your pants (from bleach and soap etc). This is important because dye won't take over bleached areas. If you look at the pants under a black light the possible bleached areas will show up. Also, don't be surprised if you have to take awhile to dye the pants, or dye them multiple times to get a good black. Mine dyed to a lovely slate greyish green, and that was after 2 tries. perhaps you'll have better luck than me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
tragedienne306
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005 06:47:44 PM »

oh.. mine's a medium-colored khaki... so im kinda wondering what color it'll turn into, heheh! ^^

black light? hehehe.. i doubt there's any selling where im living. hehehe.

im not quite sure about what you meant about the bleached area part tho.. so when you dye your pants in black twice, your pants turn slate greyish green,.. but what about the bleach spots? do they become a slight lighter color or the same color as the pants or something else?

thank you so much for the info, conley! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005 10:21:42 PM »

im not quite sure about what you meant about the bleached area part tho.. so when you dye your pants in black twice, your pants turn slate greyish green,.. but what about the bleach spots? do they become a slight lighter color or the same color as the pants or something else?

I'm sorry, I guess I should have said   Grin

After I dyed the pants, the bleached areas remained whiteish. It was very noticeable, as if I had worn the pants while painting a room a nice misty white grey color. However, mine were a light colored khaki, so in sunlight, flourescent light, and regular plain old light bulb light I couldn't tell there were bleach splotches. I found out about the black light trick a while afterwards when I happened into Spencer's Gifts and was playing around in the back of the store. While standing beneath the plethora of black lights I noticed that the khaki shorts I was wearing (also light) had big blotches that glowed as bright as my white tshirt I was wearing. Hence when I discovered why my pants turned out the way they did.

Whew!

If you're having second thoughts about the black (and don't let me deter you from using it, I was just relating an experience which may/may not come in useful) you could always dye them the same color brown as the spots. I've found that brown works well on khaki.

Tell me what you end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
tragedienne306
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005 01:22:15 AM »

white-ish, you say? heheh. i'm still thinking of dyeing it, but it's a 50-50 thing at the mo. i havent even bought the dye yet, heheh.

but thank you so much for the info! if i do try to dye the pants, i'll post the pic later. thank you again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Refreshingly Tangy Lemon Square Recipe
How to Make Margarita Creamsicles
Baked French Toast Recipe With Homemade Raspberry Sauce
How to Make Cherry, Chocolate and Popcorn Bars
Homemade Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...