A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: There's always money in the banana stand  (Read 8608 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« on: July 31, 2009 12:18:34 PM »

On a recent trip to the local produce stand (I go every week to buy my veggies-it's so much better than grocery stores!), I was buying my bananas when I noticed that they also sell bags of bananas for MUCH cheaper than by the pound. I usually only eat about 3 bananas a week, so I buy a couple of pounds per week BUT I could buy seven pounds of bananas for less than the cost of two pounds of bananas. So I did. And I had four bunches of bananas on my counter for a couple of days, until i figured out the perfect thing to do with them!

We don't have a functional oven (we use the toaster oven) or any flour, so banana bread was out. So I bought some skewers and chocolate chips, crushed up some pecans picked by my grandma and did it up Bluth-style!

Enough blabbing, onto the pictures:

Here's one batch cooling off after dipping

My state of the art double broiler system.  Grin

Piles of yummy pecans

Hardening in the freezer before dippin'

Done!

This one's all mine. Nom!

For the record, these things are DELICIOUS! They're a perfect ice cream bar alternative for those of us watching our girlish (or once girlish) figure. The banana does taste like a slightly denser than usual ice cream, and oh my is it ever tasty!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
bronzfrog
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009 12:33:32 PM »

Those look so good.  They would make a great cold treat for those of us who are a little chunky and trying to slim down.

I don't have an oven either but find that friends will let you use their oven if you give them a loaf or two.   Can you make cookies in a toaster oven?  I used to have a banana cookie recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 01:13:04 PM »

These look delicious. 

Do you have to freeze them before dipping?  I have dipped bananas, but then I just ate them, so I'm wondering if the chocolate will set up if they aren't frozen.

Anyway, you did good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ARE1109
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 01:20:27 PM »

These look delish!

And Arrested Development references are always good too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009 01:49:50 PM »

These look so good I might try these...and I don't really like bananas! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 01:59:42 PM »

These look awesome, and you can cook just about anything in a toaster oven as your regular oven, sans turkeys or pot roasts. I have made some of the best biscuits in mine. These look so delicious that I will have to try it. I don't know how to melt the chocolate, so if you could tell me how to do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 02:07:04 PM »

If you have a microwave, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave.  You just put it in a glass measuring cup and zap for 30 seconds at a time.  Make sure you stir between times in the microwave.  It is possible to mess up chocolate if it gets too hot.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 02:07:52 PM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

olive_juice
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 02:21:07 PM »

Thanks, guys!

Do you have to freeze them before dipping?

No, but since i used skewers instead of popsicle sticks I was concerned about the sticks coming out of the bananas, which happened on one that was less frozen- BIG mess! Since the chocolate is hard at room temperature it wasn't a big deal, but if you were using magic chocolate or a similar substance it would have to be frozen.

I don't know how to melt the chocolate, so if you could tell me how to do that?

You can actually melt it in the microwave or directly on the stovetop if you're brave, but every time I do that it always burns and smells terrible and i have to start all over (or more commonly, give up and throw things).

A double broiler is really helpful, because it's like... stackable saucepans. You boil water in the bottom pot and put the chocolate in the top pot so the chocolate can't burn but is heated up by the boiling water. But since my double broiler is still in storage, I used the steamer pan from my rice cooker, put a drinking glass inside it and wrapped foil around the whole thing and put all of that on top of a saucepan of boiling water- et voila! A highly dangerous double broiler that is bound to topple over if you aren't careful.

I do use my toaster for just about everything, but I don't have loaf pans small enough to fit. But I make biscuits and cookies and broil chicken in it daily.

Can you make cookies in a toaster oven?  I used to have a banana cookie recipe.

I can do about 6 cookies at a time, so it works out pretty well. Yum, banana cookies! Do you still have the recipe?

One note for everyone that wants to try this: the chocolate needs to be thinned down quite a bit. I just added oil, stirred, looked at how thick the chocolate glopped on the spoon, added more oil, check spoon, etc. I still think it ended up a tad too thick but it's still delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Thrynity
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009 02:25:38 PM »

You win for ingenious double boiler and Arrested Development reference and yummy yummy bananas!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
pinokeeo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 02:27:56 PM »

So why do you need to thin the chocolate?  Does it not stick to the banana?  Or does it not set up well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting an Everyday White Balance Setting
Time Lapse Photography Tips
How to Shoot at Night Without a Flash
Cropping in Camera
Understanding Composition and Framing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...