A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday July 31, 2009  (Read 2283 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009 06:00:35 AM »

No way, I can't be the first person to post on Fiber friday! Whoot!
I spun every single day of the TDF (tour de fleece) but didn't take a single pict until AFTER the fact. ha ha.
Behold, my fiber! All my notes on the length of the skeins are in my basement. Maybe later...

This is Angora and fire star. I still have angora left over from when I raised rabbits (when I was 13 or so). My head was so filled with do's and don'ts that I quit enjoying using it for a while. Now I've been able to get rid of everyone else's ideas and use my own! almost 20 years later........ This is a blend of dyed firestar and angora. Since I was 13 when originally processing the fiber, there are a fair bit of noils in it. But I love it, it's so subtle and pretty!

Called 'frankenstein' from a fiber swap. I just LOVE the colors. Plied with itself.

After the storm- from art club on etsy. Plied with sewing thread.
And a few handspun FO! (that were also worked on during the TDF)

I Love this knitting pattern. I got this fiber from whirlygig yarn on etsy and spun it up supah chunky. Plied with a cotton cord and beads.

I got all the fiber in the 'make yarn out of this' swap. I'm having a hard time explaining how I did the yarn- it was completely different from the beginning to the end. I wanted to make a scarf out if it that showed the progression of the yarn all at once, so I knit the scarf horizontally. It came out really long so this is it all folded up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 06:11:21 AM by laminathegreat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jiniphur
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009 07:00:44 AM »

This is my past 2 week.  I have been busy during nap times! 

Baby alpaca, 2 ply, with baby hand in pic

I made a pair of socks, mittens, and an ear flap hat out of less then a pound of the baby alpaca with more to spare.  I am thinking another pair of socks.

My favorite yarn yet!  Handdyed by me, BFL, 2 ply, 8 WPI, 56 yards

And just finished last night, Handdyed by me, BFL & corridale, single, 9 WPI, 58 yards thin and thick

So proud, cant wait for next friday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
idioteque
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 07:44:10 AM »

gosh that frankenstein skein is SO gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 08:23:25 AM »

<3 after the storm. so purty. and ooh, jiniphur, I love that last one.

Sadly, I was so busy making my best friend's birthday present that I did not finish my yarn for this week. Sad Oh well, I have a 4-hour drive later today. Guess what I'll be doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myklia
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009 09:22:44 AM »

Oh Fiber Friday, how I missed you so.

I love Frankenstein from laminathegreat and the blue yarn from jiniphur.

I have been busy with swaps, camping, family events and so forth.  While camping I met Gretchen at Whitefish Bay Farms in Door County ( http://www.whitefishbayfarm.com/ ) and she showed me how to spin thinner more consistent yarn on my drop spindle.  My spinning has been sooo much better since (still not as good as her spinning, but she does have more than a few years experience on me I'm sure).  She also showed me how to ply with the drop spindle.  Hopefully I'll be posting things in here again soon.  I'm so excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 09:59:27 AM »

mmm angora... I havent tried it yet, but I bet it's amazing.

I've been spinning the fiber that I got from the Handspun swap:

This is from one of the batts weet! sent me. I plied/wrapped it with the stretchy blue thread she gave me, but I ran out near the end and used regular cotton thread for the rest. It's a little underspun though :/

This is a single from the fiber freestyle hand blended on her hackle. It reminds me of hamburgers, but everyone else thinks I'm nuts haha:

And the past few days I've been spinning up some alpaca that I hand carded a few months ago. I have one full bobbin, so after I fill another one I'm gonna ply them together.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zucchero_Filato
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009 10:05:40 AM »

Hi! Happy to be here again!

This week all the yarns are wonderful!!!
jiniphur, your baby alpaca is gorgeous - and the baby model is sooo cute!
Nesse, I think your single is yummy enough to remind you hamburgers. I love it!

My kids are having a great time here at the seaside, so I couldn't spin all the yarns that I had in mind.
I'm posting only two of them - the third one in still on the wheel :-)

With the first yarn I wanted to celebrate Marilyn and her song "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend". So I handspun this yarn adding a lot of sparkling elements and many pink velvet details.

The second yarn is a 2 ply, handspun from a superfine merino roving that I handpainted according to the sunset color palette. It's very soft and light. Gauge is 22 wpi.

That's all, folks!
I really have to go or my children will sell my wheel to the neighbours.

Many kisses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 11:15:36 AM »

wow, these are so wonderful!

i have been busy with the tdf too! it was so fun and challenging. here are some of my yarns from the past few weeks:

whoa that was huge! happy FF!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
pmpknpunk
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009 11:54:11 AM »

Long time no post. I've been preparing for the Michigan Fiber Festival (my first time vending!) so I've been doing a lot of carding and no spinning. BUT I took a break and was at Camp Pluckyfluff in Chicago last weekend so here are my camp yarns! No names yet, so I will just refer to them by the technique that I was practicing!

Top Row L to R: Crazy batt Bulky Single, Halos/Crescents, and Felted Baubles

Bottom Row L to R: Plying with Coils and Granny Stacks, Mohairy, and Spinning Fabric with Nubs

Happy Friday! I'm gearing up for another weekend at the drum carder, only 2 weeks until the festival! WoooHooo!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jiniphur
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 06:36:03 PM »

The noodle princess yournest yarn is so awesome and the one above it is that fabric?  How did you do that its awesome too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Very Fuddles Christmas by Frans Vischer
Walk in Their Shoes: Can One Person Change the World?
A Great Game by Stephen J. Harper
Tim Conway: What Are You Reading?
Christy Haubegger: The Starting Line
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...