A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you have this vintage Kenmore sewing machine? Loads of Pics.  (Read 6751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009 09:27:50 PM »

Hello ya'll

I just bought a new to me Kenmore.  It is totally rad for being so old.  It weights at least 3 time more than my newer model Kenmore, so hopefully that means it it made of metal and not plastic.  Anyways It came with a whole stock pile of cool feet and other items but no instruction manual. I am hoping someone out there has this machine and could point me to where I can find a manual.  Also I need help identifying some of the parts.  Thanks everyone for your help!

On with the picture show...

Side panel:

Back:

This plate thingy?Huh?

This brown thing Huh?, top view:

Side view:

Metal L shaped stick Huh?

Top View:

Then there are 5 of these hard plastic plates  HuhHuh??

Purl plate???

Back of Purl Plate:

Regular plate?Huh

Back of Regular plate:

Keyhole plate???

Back of keyhole plate:

Bound plate?Huh?

Bound Plate back:

Thanks for any info on this machine and it's parts!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009 05:06:56 AM »

First off, no, I don't have one of these machines.  However, I used my mom's similar model when I was learning to sew as a child, then working in a million costume shops over the years gave me enough experience with various kinds of machines to pick out certain things on all machines.  Those 5 misc. plates, are button hole plates.  They allow the machine to make different shaped button holes.  Ex. a keyhole buttonhole, a bound buttonhole.  You can google them to see pictures of what they look like.  You use different buttonholes on different kinds of garments. 

Second, it is possible to get a reprinted copy of the instruction manual for you machine.  To do so you need to be able to identify the model number.  In your case (according to the picture) you have a "Kenmore  158.17921".  All Kenmore's have a 3 digit prefix number (the 158) and then the rest of the model number to identify it, yours is 17921 (the extra 83 after it doesn't mean anything as far as I know).  To be extra nice, I already found the manual for you...  Sometimes you can find them free on the internet, but that's rare.  You can however, order it through sewusa.com.  The Kenmore page, with your model on it can be found here: 

Kenmore 158.17921

Scroll down and pick the Kenmore  158.17921 one.  Add to cart, pay the nice people, and it'll be on it's way.  And no, I don't work for SewUSA

Also, this should be the correct threading diagram for your machine:  Kenmore 158 Threading Diagram

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 06:36:06 AM »

That's a model from the 1980's.  The "158" prefix on the model number indicates that it was made by Maruzen/Jaguar.  From that era, you can bet it has non-metal gears and such.  Just open it up and see. 

You can also download a copy at the site below for $5.

http://www.mastersewusa.com/info_kenmore_17921.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
amybarnett
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 08:32:57 AM »

The metal piece is a spacer bar. It attaches horizontally to the back of the foot. It is great when you want seams exactly 2 inches apart (but It's adjustable). I used one on my viking to sew quilt lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009 11:57:03 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much! I am so exited about my $25 score!  I have never used a button plate, have any of you? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 03:11:19 PM »

Many of my machines hae buttonhole hole attachments.  The plates work with your BH attachment.
The ones marked "bound" are for making bound buttonholes.  A google search willturn up lots of info about bound buttonholes.

Once you get your hands on a manual, start playing and learning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
midwestchick
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013 04:57:54 PM »

OH MY GOD !!!  That is so funny I was searching for a belt for my 62 kenmore and I came upon this picture...I have this very machine, I grew up with it... I remember when my mom bought it brand new... LOL I have the manual for it also... I have sewed on this machine for ages.
  I now have a newer brother, a 1962 kenmore, a Singer surger and my newest oldie my antique White treadle machine....   I am addicted to collecting them...

thank you for the smile on my face..... Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kitty Cash Mixes Three 6 Mafia with Makeup
Beauty Tips for Looking Younger
A/W 2014 Beauty Essentials
Modern Gothic Makeup Tutorial
Kylie Jenner Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...