A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adding pockets to a store-bought bag?  (Read 806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onceinlovewithAmy
« on: July 30, 2009 03:53:23 PM »

My sister got me this AWESOME bag (it's huge and thus is awesome) for my birthday back in February. It's a "crossbody hobo" according to the Old Navy website.

Problem is that it only has like, one pocket. Bags should have more pockets than that Grin Every time my cell phone rings, if it's in my bag, I miss the call 'cause it's so hard to find in there. If it had pockets along the inside, I could just stick my phone into a pocket and know exactly where it's at.

So I want to add more. I'm thinking of adding a cell phone pocket, pen "pockets," or whatever you'd call them, and maybe a few other pockets. Or something. Problem is I've never done that before to a bag that's already been made. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever added pockets to ANYTHING. Weird.

The bag is cotton, I believe, and lined.

Any suggestions of how to go about it? (I don't have a machine and thus do my sewing by hand, so be gentle! Cool )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chickology
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 05:09:19 PM »

I would suggest maybe a removable insert. I'm not sure how this would go in a hobo, i've only seen them in more structured bags. Perhaps someone on here has done one before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently obsessing over tattoos, cupcakes and hand made Christmas presents. So much to do, so little time!

Yet another tattoo swap - Crafting - 99% done
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315831.0
http://wists.com/Chickology
elijor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009 08:13:35 AM »

If you can pull the lining out (meaning it isn't attached to the bottom or sides) you could take out the bottom and maybe one side seam of the lining. Then add patch pockets to the lining and sew the side and bottom seam back up. You would have to sewn at least part of those seams by hand if you want it to lokk the same as it did before. If not you could sew them by machine then cover the raw edges with bias tape.

You could also sew the pockets to the lining by hand so that your stitches only go through the lining and don't show on the outside. For light things like a cell phone and pens they should hold up well enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onceinlovewithAmy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009 10:47:52 AM »

You could also sew the pockets to the lining by hand so that your stitches only go through the lining and don't show on the outside. For light things like a cell phone and pens they should hold up well enough.
I suspect that's going to be the way to go.

The lining is sewn in at the bottom--too bad, too, 'cause that would have made life a whole lot easier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewfumust
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009 06:58:33 AM »

You could also use several large sew-in snap fasteners.  Sew female side to lining and male side to back of pocket.
Another possibility - make the pocket and then use double-sided fusible web to fuse it to the lining.  A few strategic stitches in the corners and middles of the sides should help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fresh Dill Potato Salad
Make Potato Salad with Bacon & Mustard Vinaigrette
Learn About Hawaii Regional Cuisine
How to Make ZipSauce Seafood
How to Make ZipSauce Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...