A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm so thrilled with my FABULOUS NEW PURSE! (now w/ sketchy pattern/tutorial)  (Read 3366 times)
Tags for this thread: purse , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009 03:24:27 PM »

This is the first thing other than a scarf I've made without a pattern and I'm amazingly happy with how it turned out.  But I must admit my mom helped me heavily with the lining.  She's tried to teach me to sew about five times now.... maybe 6th time's the charm??

The bottom is heavily modeled on the bottom of the sweat pea tote bag on ravelry, but not exactly the same.  The stitch is called a wattle stitch.  My stitch dictionary had instructions for working back and forth, but I made this purse in the round, so I kinda improvised.  And when I was done I realized I liked the stitch, but the back side was even better!!  I haven't mastered the art of photographing stitches yet, but here is the right side, followed by the wrong side, which I used as the outside of the purse.

We put a piece of plastic canvas in the bottom of the purse, under the lining to keep the bottom sturdy.  

My mother nearly killed me when I told her I wanted side pockets after we had sewn the lining into a purse shape.  But we managed anyway!  The handles have a little strip of the material woven in and out of the stitches to hopefully keep them from stretching.  

And that's about it, what do you guys think?  It doesn't have a closure, other than to tie the scarf thing around all the handles.  We a) weren't sure what type of closure to use and b) got done at 10pm and didn't care anymore.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 07:28:43 PM by chutzpaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amydice
Tutorial Contributor

Amy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 03:57:50 PM »

I LOVE this!!!
I think the colors you used were amazing. I still haven't gotten the hang of doing lining either, but of course I hand sew mine, so it's just impossible. But this is so awesome, and so is the lining. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for a personal swap!
Looking to swap for anything Doctor Who or a mug rug!

Blog: http://craftingmachine.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/AmyLutter
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmyLDice
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mad-Crafter/124912220860742
ConnieStieler
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 05:18:28 PM »

Gorgeous!!! I really like the stitch and colors that you used, it looks great!  It looks really roomy too.  I have yet to master sewing myself, so I'm in total 'purse lining' envy lol!!  As for a closure, I think that a nice magnetic snap would do the trick, it's simple enough and you don't have to worry about sewing a zipper onto that nice lining!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwluvervw
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 05:47:49 PM »

LOVE IT!! and would love one too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enlforever91
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 05:53:45 PM »

Great colors!!!- for a closure you should try to crochet a loop on one side that would be big enough to go over the top and a button on the other side!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digitalis88
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009 05:59:12 PM »

This a fabulous bag ! I love the wattle stitch. Never heard about that stitch though before. But that is not surprising coming from me. he he

I love the colour and the inside of your bag is so well sewn.

I don't see anything you could change. I think it is perfect that way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsS
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009 06:38:59 PM »

Wonderful! I want one! Are you in a sharing-pattern mood?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Anna

"Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us." Psalm 90:17a
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009 07:21:35 PM »

Wonderful! I want one! Are you in a sharing-pattern mood?

Well, I can give it a try!  This is all from memory so it might be a little off, but hopefully anyone who tries this has a little experience.  I have a "little" so it shouldn't be too hard.  Feel free to email me if you have problems and I'll do my best to help.

Materials: 1.5 skeins of red heart super saver, size H hook, 1 yard fabric, 1 sheet plastic canvas, and a nice mother who will bring over her sewing machine and help you with the lining!  Cheesy

As I said, the bottom was very like the pattern for the Sweet Pea Tote Bag off Ravelry.  If what I write doesn't make sense, read her pattern!  lol
http://www.freewebs.com/capscrochet/patterns.htm?blogentryid=4092803

chain 35 
Round 1: Sc across, in the last chain 5sc, then sc across the other side of the chain,  4 sc in beginning chain, and slip stitch to join.

Round 2 - 8 (or however big you want)
Ch 1, sc across, in last chain do (sc, ch2, sc) to make a corner.  Sc across edge.  In next corner (sc, ch2, sc).  sc across back side of chain.  In last chain do (sc, ch2, sc), sc across edge. (sc, ch2, sc) in first chain, slip stitch to join.

Round 9-10: dc in each stitch across, with 3 dc's in each corner.

begin wattle stitch, which came from a book called "basic crochet stitches" by Erika Knight, except I fudged it to work in the round.

Wattle stitch round 1, purse round 11:  Skip 2 ch , *work [1sc, 1ch, 1dc] into next ch, skip 2ch; rep from *, sl st into ch1 space

Wattle stitch round 2, purse round 12 to ?
ch 2, *work [1sc, 1ch, 1dc] into next ch1 space, repeat from * ending w/ sl st into beginning ch 1 space.

**In the first couple rows of wattle stitch I pulled the stitches tight to pull the bottom up into the shape I wanted.  After that I relaxed and did my usual tension.

Last round: Work 5 hdc into each stitch, fasten off & weave in ends. 
Then decide which side you like better, I turned mine inside out at this point.

Handles:
chain 75 (or to preference)
Row 1: sc in each st, turn
Row 2: Ch 4, skip 1st stitch that a dc would normally go in, (dc in next stitch, ch 1, skip next stitch) repeat to end, turn
Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each st
Cut a strip of fabric a little longer than the handles, and sew into a flat tube shape to hide the raw edges.  Weave in and out of the dc's.

For lining, measure inside of bag and cut appropriately, so the material goes down one wide side, across the bottom, and back up the other wide side.  Onto wrong side of fabric, sew a flat piece to make a pocket for the plastic canvas, which needs cut to the size of the bottom of your purse.  For pockets, cut two rectangles and sew together right side out.  Sew them onto the lining, and sew dividers into them by just making a straight line down them.  (You may want to pin the lining in the purse first to get an idea of size and placement, but don't sew up the lining yet like we did!)  Then sew the sides of the lining up. 

Next pin the lining into the purse, with the handles placed between the lining and the purse.  Put it on the sewing machine and say a little prayer that your machine will go through material and yarn, and sew it up.  I made my liner go up to right before the ruffle, so I also hand sewed the handles to the ruffles after we were done. 

Finally use the fabric scraps to make a little scarf and tie it on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsS
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009 10:03:39 PM »

Awesome! Thanks! How long did this take you (without the lining)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Anna

"Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us." Psalm 90:17a
MiLady
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 05:59:25 AM »

Omg this is truely gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Work a Smoky Eye Without Making Your Eyes Look Smaller
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
4 Best Makeup Brush Cleaners
How to Do Perfect Catwalk Makeup
Make It Easy: How to Remove Road Salt From Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...