A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 316,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
257 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An opulent bedroom...at least to us it feels that way :)  (Read 6301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: July 30, 2009 06:56:43 AM »

Can you stand another room from me??  I thought I would share this room that I did a few years ago during my last week of maternity leave.

Sorry I don't have a before picture, but just imagine cream walls and pastel colored floral window treatments.  I'm sure they cost a mint in the 80's when they were first put up.  They surely had never been washed or dusted before.

I painted our bedroom on the last week of maternity leave with my DD.  I had purchased the fabric for the curtains months before and wanted that to be the color scheme of the room.  I think I paid around $8/yd for the jacquard fabric.  I had bought the comforter before and it matched the fabric, so they worked together.  I took down the window treatment and used the board and drapery fittings to put my new treatment up on the window.  I left the room darkening curtains as they were.  I did very little sewing on the new draperies.  I used fusible hem tape for most of the edges.  Easy!

I love the look of crown moulding, but knew it wasnt in the cards at the time, so I decided to do a paint treatment that would evoke a look similar to that.  First I did the bottom layer of paint, which was a mixture of sponge painting and washing the paint over a semi dry sponge layer.  After that dried, I taped off a 2 inch border on all the edges of the room and painted that in with the red paint.  Several layers later, I took the tape off and then stenciled and stamped the decorative fleur-de-lis that I got at Michaels.

The lamps used to be cream, so I painted them gold.  I added the fringe to the plain lamp shades.

I love how this room turned out, and four years later I still love it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 07:04:31 AM »

Wow!  That's very elegant!  You did a wonderful job!!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 07:27:14 AM »

I love it! coincidentally.....my room is the exact same color scheme......walls are gold and window treatments are red, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfaerie
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 02:05:21 PM »

I love what you did around the doors!  I'm going to borrow that, I think Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
rileyartie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 07:26:30 PM »

I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 05:56:09 AM »

Thanks so much!  Grin  I wish the pictures showed up bigger so you can see it more.  I have the stenciling under the big window, too.  I've used this color scheme in a few rooms in our house, and I just love the warm feel of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EccentricOne

Modpoge is your friend!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009 08:05:01 AM »

How did you get the texture-look on the walls? I like that they're not "flat" looking.

Also, did you paint the corners and borders of the room a brownish color? It kind of looks like moulding, and is very nice. I am wondering about the technique you used.

Gorgeous outcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't choose how you feel, but you can choose what you do about it.
StacyCK
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009 11:03:45 AM »

Thanks!

The walls were cream underneath so I took a sponge of the wheat color and went over that sparingly.  When that mostly dried, I took the wet sponge and just rubbed over the top of it with the paint in broad strokes.

The corners are the reddish paint.  Every edge I taped off 2 inches with painters tape and painted it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009 03:34:30 PM »

The room looks very elegant and cozy! Makes me want to take a nap Wink I love warm colors in the bedroom. When we paint our bedroom I want to do a kind of mustard or squash color. Ahhhhh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
greenfaerie
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009 07:53:46 PM »

I did our kitchen in that mustard/squash color.  It's very inviting and warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...