A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 306,414
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An opulent bedroom...at least to us it feels that way :)  (Read 5818 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: July 30, 2009 06:56:43 AM »

Can you stand another room from me??  I thought I would share this room that I did a few years ago during my last week of maternity leave.

Sorry I don't have a before picture, but just imagine cream walls and pastel colored floral window treatments.  I'm sure they cost a mint in the 80's when they were first put up.  They surely had never been washed or dusted before.

I painted our bedroom on the last week of maternity leave with my DD.  I had purchased the fabric for the curtains months before and wanted that to be the color scheme of the room.  I think I paid around $8/yd for the jacquard fabric.  I had bought the comforter before and it matched the fabric, so they worked together.  I took down the window treatment and used the board and drapery fittings to put my new treatment up on the window.  I left the room darkening curtains as they were.  I did very little sewing on the new draperies.  I used fusible hem tape for most of the edges.  Easy!

I love the look of crown moulding, but knew it wasnt in the cards at the time, so I decided to do a paint treatment that would evoke a look similar to that.  First I did the bottom layer of paint, which was a mixture of sponge painting and washing the paint over a semi dry sponge layer.  After that dried, I taped off a 2 inch border on all the edges of the room and painted that in with the red paint.  Several layers later, I took the tape off and then stenciled and stamped the decorative fleur-de-lis that I got at Michaels.

The lamps used to be cream, so I painted them gold.  I added the fringe to the plain lamp shades.

I love how this room turned out, and four years later I still love it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 07:04:31 AM »

Wow!  That's very elegant!  You did a wonderful job!!!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 07:27:14 AM »

I love it! coincidentally.....my room is the exact same color scheme......walls are gold and window treatments are red, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenfaerie
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 02:05:21 PM »

I love what you did around the doors!  I'm going to borrow that, I think Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
rileyartie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 07:26:30 PM »

I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009 05:56:09 AM »

Thanks so much!  Grin  I wish the pictures showed up bigger so you can see it more.  I have the stenciling under the big window, too.  I've used this color scheme in a few rooms in our house, and I just love the warm feel of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EccentricOne

Modpoge is your friend!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009 08:05:01 AM »

How did you get the texture-look on the walls? I like that they're not "flat" looking.

Also, did you paint the corners and borders of the room a brownish color? It kind of looks like moulding, and is very nice. I am wondering about the technique you used.

Gorgeous outcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't choose how you feel, but you can choose what you do about it.
StacyCK
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009 11:03:45 AM »

Thanks!

The walls were cream underneath so I took a sponge of the wheat color and went over that sparingly.  When that mostly dried, I took the wet sponge and just rubbed over the top of it with the paint in broad strokes.

The corners are the reddish paint.  Every edge I taped off 2 inches with painters tape and painted it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009 03:34:30 PM »

The room looks very elegant and cozy! Makes me want to take a nap Wink I love warm colors in the bedroom. When we paint our bedroom I want to do a kind of mustard or squash color. Ahhhhh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
greenfaerie
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009 07:53:46 PM »

I did our kitchen in that mustard/squash color.  It's very inviting and warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
How to Play My Tractors Sexy on Violin Fiddle
How to Play The Adams Family Song on Violin
How to Play Somewhere Over the Rainbow on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...