A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One womans trash -long post-  (Read 1156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2009 09:00:30 PM »

The Back Story: So while perusing my favorite thrift store for lovely sheets I found myself face to face with a true treasure. This seemingly boring mass was hanging amongst the skanky old sleeping bags and cheap platsicy comforters. It was a thin quilt made of soft once-white cotton with hand ties of various shades of yellow acrylic yarn. Very homely, it blended decently with the pack. But something about it spoke to me. I snatched it off the shelf and unfolded it to find a true gem. I was so stunned. Someone's adorable antique hand appliqued/embroidered quilt! Here! At goodwill! Just rejected! I snatched it up RIGHT away. I looked around like a mad woman. I touched the stitches. I looked at the color of the tag, looked at the price list on the wall. It read "Quilts $4.00* ~~ *or as marked~~" I feared this quilt would be a dreaded "as marked" but there was nothing there. Daintly refolded and rest under my arm, I finished up my shopping. I must admit, when I refolded it I made sure the embroidered parts were safely tucked away. Only the boring white and mismatched yellow showed. It was MY treasure. Anywho, then it was time to check out. I rest the quilt on the counter at the bottom of my pile. The nice lady rang me out. Guess what I was charged for that quilt. GUESS! Ninety freakin cents! (My student ID knocked off 10%, saving me a roaring 10 cents off of the dollar) Four dollars four schmallers! Woo Hoo! It was meant to be! What a steal! Do you know what I would have paid for that at my favorite antique store?!?!

white on white leaf applique. note the adorable watering can!

Now heres that part where you lovely craftsters come in. First of all, I'd like to inquire your opinions on how to wash this piece. It is cotton, machine bound, hand quilted, and hand appliqued. Also, being an antique some of the embroidery is beginning to dissolve away. Should I leave this as is and risk time quickly leaching the image away? Or should I step in and go over some of the fading lines to save this womans hard work? Its a tough call for me. I think I'm having an ethical struggle. Please share your opinion with me. Thanks for your input!

PS mods feel free to move. I figured this was a decent place to post because technically it is someones handmade completed project.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009 09:09:11 PM by melyssa_marie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Xugardust
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009 09:44:18 PM »

OMG, that is beautiful.  Thrift score of the century.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xugardust/sets/72157613102214201/
fjordtjie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009 11:24:04 PM »

i would be equally torn in your situation.

but, as an opinionated outsider, i think you should spruce it up with some fresh stitches.  thinking of this as if my grandmother made it, she would prefer it get used and enjoyed as much as possible.  and that just can't happen if you're worried the stitches are unraveling.  so.  i propose restitching the worn-out parts, but making sure that the threads you use are colorfast and won't bleed into this beautiful blanket.  therefore, the blanket can continue being used as intended, and you can keep the original stitches that haven't crumbled through the years.  then, i would handwash it with some really gentle detergent, like woolite, or one of those specialty solutions--i'd ask someone that knows antiques.

i guess i'll have to note:  this blanket looks very similar to one my great aunt made for me--minus the embroidery, hers was printed and hand quilted around the pattern, then tied with the yarn--so i may be really, really biased.  i can't fathom giving my blanket to goodwill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ediefashion
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 06:16:27 AM »

Just my 2 cents...
I would try to respectfully add to that treasure. Think of it as reincarnating the spirit to give it a second life. It certainly looks worthy of it.  Rummage around over at sublimestitching.com they have such lovely retro patterns and generally great for embroidery inspiration.
Good luck with it and kudos for just rescuing it from the skanky sleeping bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make therefore I am.
sandal43
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009 07:16:35 AM »

Amazing find!  I would restitch the worn  parts.  I have a quilt top my aunt made about 50 or 60 years ago.  It is a lovely reminder of my aunt.  I also like knowing I had crafty relatives.  That quilt is lovely!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009 11:07:11 AM »

That quilt was obviously a handmade treasure that was well-loved by someone(s) who are no longer living.  How fortunate that it was found by you!

I would restore it and make it a display quilt. If you need help, you may want to take that treasure to your local family-owned sewing/quilt shop or your local church quilting group to see what they recommend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
lylacfey
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009 10:45:19 PM »

Oh my gosh it is stunning!!!!!! I would have been shaking to find such a treasure.  I agree touch up the stitches with love.  Washing it I don't know.  Maybe a spray Woolite and gently in the sink.  I know it probably needs to be washed.  I fill a spray bottle of Woolite, spray it on areas a little bit at a time and then hand wash gently.  It takes me awhile but my pieces are treasures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009 07:22:04 AM »

Wow! What a find! I'm torn between restoring and leaving it as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY at Home Mask for Dry Scalp and Hair
How to Rock Bangs Without Making a Big Cut
How to Get a Super Sleek Blowout Without the Frizz
Easy Side Ponytail Tutorial
Romantic Hairstyles at the Charlotte Ronson FW 2014 Presentation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...