A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Hard Is It To Sew Faux Fur?  (Read 618 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2009 04:59:47 PM »

Hello,

I have a decent viking sewing machine that is a good little worker. I have however never sewn with faux fur and I wonder if a standard sewing machine would work.

Maybe OK for the lighter, low pile, faux fabrics?

Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009 12:06:36 AM »

You should be fine sewing faux fur with a regular machine. It's better to sew on the wrong side of the fabric so the fur doesn't get pulled inside but if you have to sew on the right side, placing some tissue paper under the fur will probably help a lot. The shorter furs shouldn't be much of a problem for even a simple machine (the one I use was fine at least and it's nothing special) and if it's a longer pile, you can try trimming the fibers in the seam allowance before sewing to reduce some bulk. If you're worried, you could also try on a small piece to see if your specific machine can handle the bulk before starting a large project.
Remember also when cutting faux fur, don't just cut straight through it. Slide the scissors in between the fibers, so you're only cutting the backing. It reduces the amount of fluff you have floating around the house after and keeps the fur edges much neater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009 11:13:03 AM »

Thank you so much for your helpful tips!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
globox
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009 03:22:38 PM »

I find it helps to brush the fur away at a 90 degree angle from the cutting/seam lines so the fur is lying flat and away from the scissors. Whatcha making?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009 03:23:19 PM by globox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laura_J
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009 03:50:04 PM »

I usually cut mine from the back so I'm only cutting the backing. Then I brush the loose bits out of the fur from cutting initially. Then I trim the fur itself from the seam allowance area and brush the loose bits out of the fur again. The more loose bits you can brush out, the less that gets into your machine. Use a good heavy needle in your machine when you sew and take your time, do not push the fabric through.
Fur is fun stuff to play with. Keep your design simple. The fewer seams the better. Can't wait to see what you're making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009 01:22:13 PM »

Fake fur is messy but a regular machine will work.  I saw on a tutorial that someone cut their pieces with a razor or an exacto knife & I thought that was such a good idea.  Because frankly, no matter how careful you are, when you cut with scissors it's going to get fluffies all over the place.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Best Hairstyle
How to Make Your Own Shampoo
How to Make Your Hair Grow
How to Plait Classic Pigtails
How to Shampoo Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...